BG2: Problems and bug reports

DeathAngel

Mine went just fine.

But on my second game, (of course I'm trying multiple paths) Gavin lags behind the group as soon as I pick up Aerie. But I have a lot of mods now so unless someone else has this trouble ignore me.

Edit - I think a never mind may be in order here. It's not Aerie. Is anyone playing ne for Gavin new romance redemption path and he lags when you return to Waukeen's Promenade?

Edited by Ankhesenpaaten
I'm having trouble again my game keeps crashing after the convo with Miranda and Lanie. Thoughts?

Do you stay until the end of the conversation or do you leave before it finishes?

Both paths were tested extensively. One tester had a persistent crash that occurred when he entered the Temple District, but starting over with a clean installation solved that issue. Any time you reinstall mods, there's a chance of file corruption, and cutscenes tend to be very sensitive to this.

Mine went just fine.

But on my second game, (of course I'm trying multiple paths) Gavin lags behind the group as soon as I pick up Aerie. But I have a lot of mods now so unless someone else has this trouble ignore me.

Edit - I think a never mind may be in order here. It's not Aerie. Is anyone playing ne for Gavin new romance redemption path and he lags when you return to Waukeen's Promenade?

Redemption path, as in you've got an evil PC?

Ah, found it. My bad. I'll have a fixed version up in half an hour. Just reinstall the new version and you should get the scheduled talk immediately.

I'm having problems with Minsc (whatever party position he is in) losing his movement marker after a short period of walking.

Is this what you mean by "lags"?

Kath Stonedog

PS I'll hand hold Minsc through the entire game if that's what it takes to have Gavin! :)

Nah, you won't have to go that far. I'll just have a peek at Minsc's scripted banters and get back to you in a few moments. I'm kind of confused, though, because a couple of my testers had Minsc the whole time without stutter (and so did I), but that doesn't mean that something didn't slip through.

This is strange. I'm only making one script call on Minsc in the entire mod, when Gavin is drunk, and the scripts and variables check out for it.

During testing, one of my testers discovered a vanilla game bug that was leading to Aerie stutter. It's possible that this could be something similar. It could also be another mod... or something else entirely. If you're up to doing a little bit of detective work, you might be doing the gaming community a great service. It will involve a little bit of effort on your part, though, but I'll walk you through it every step of the way.

I made up a little mod to help the testers troubleshoot any stutter they might encounter. You can download it here. Just install this at the end of your installation like you would any other mod and then restart the game. You'll see the dialogue box fill up with things like Player1: running block 8 or minsc.bcs. One of them will repeat over and over. Once you have found out which script is looping, you can follow these steps to pinpoint the exact location of the stutter.

1. Download a version of WeiDU to your game directory, like you do with mods. Get it here.
  2. Extract (unzip) the archive, and then open it.
  3. Inside the WeiDU folder, you will find a file called WeiDU.exe. Right-click on it and select COPY.
  4. Go back to your game directory and PASTE WeiDU.exe there.
  5. Open a command prompt (DOS window). If you are using Windows XP, you can do this by clicking on the Start button and typing cmd into the box next to "run". That will open a command prompt. If you are using Vista, type cmd into the box next to "Search". You should see several Help topics. One of them will be "Open Command Prompt?" Choose that one, and it will open a command prompt.
  6. Go to the new window and navigate to your game installation directory. If you used the default installation, you would type in
    cd c:\program files\black isle\bgii - soa
  7. Notice how the prompt now shows the path to your BG2 installation? Good, that's what you want.
  8. You're ready to decompile files!
  9. To decompile a file, type in weidu foo.ext, where foo is the file you want to decompile and .ext is the extension type. Dialogue files use the extension .dlg, script files use the extension .bcs. So, if it's Minsc's script that's looping, you would type in "weidu minsc.bcs" without the quotes.
  10. WeiDU will create the decompiled file in your game directory, alongside all your mods. Dialogue files will use the extension .d, script files will use the extension .baf. So you would be looking for minsc.baf.
  11. Put the decompiled scripts into an archive and either attach it here or email it to me at my screen name at gmail dot com.

If you run into trouble at any point or if you need additional clarification, just ask. I keep an eye on this forum all day.

Just load your last save. You will want to use one as close to the stutter as you possibly can.

"Lag" is usually used when *all* the characters are slowing down, the game clock is moving jerkily, and scripts frequently misfire. It is usually caused by having an override folder that's too large, i.e. too many mods installed.

"Stutter" is usually used when only one character doesn't complete movement commands. It's usually caused by a script loop. You've got stutter.

But I'm glad you're willing to try it. It's always possible that it is the Gavin mod, though you'd think that with all the testers we had whose party included Minsc we would have found it. Regardless of whether it is or it isn't, we'll find the culprit and fix it. One way or another.

Edit: You did great! Once you've got that script decompiled, we'll be able to sort it out quickly.

Edited by berelinde

Dinner cooked. Rug laid. Have emailed the zip file to you.

Had to run cmd.exe as admin to get write access to the folder and then archive to desktop which is what took the time - sorry. Running Windows 7.

And I went and found a later numbered weidu file, following a 404 on the link, so I hope that's all right.

Kath Stonedog

Edited by KathStoneDog

Yeah, I was in the process of updating the mod because another user was having issues getting BG2 Gavin to play nicely on a mega-install. The Temple District cutscene was never starting because of some script introduced by another mod.

This won't help with your Minsc stutter, though. You're probably still going to have to decompile and send that file.

I'm having trouble again my game keeps crashing after the convo with Miranda and Lanie. Thoughts?

Do you stay until the end of the conversation or do you leave before it finishes?

Both paths were tested extensively. One tester had a persistent crash that occurred when he entered the Temple District, but starting over with a clean installation solved that issue. Any time you reinstall mods, there's a chance of file corruption, and cutscenes tend to be very sensitive to this.

Yes I stay till the end just after I tell him goodbye and I'll meet him later at the temple of Oghma the game crashes.