Masochists sought for IWD-BG2 project

CamDawg

Almost all of the spells are salvageable, though there's no room for a couple of them (not that it really matters for scripting, spwi399 = 2399 = WHAT_EVER is adequate.

Most of the non BGII opcodes can be faked with periodic effs or IDS targeting shennanigans - I did evasion in BGII with the latter and Static Charge (et alis) with the former. .bam transparencies look positively horrid on the other side of the engine divide and often need patched up before they get linked to a .vvc.

A couple things require sec type tomfoolery (which isn't available in IWD, so mutatis mutandis it's a wash) and IIRC the only bit that required invisible creatures was the turn undead opcode and Seven Eyes.

You knew all that already, though.

Dunno. While I'd love to help, I doubt I'd make for a particularly helpful or reliable collaborator. Maybe you could at least take time away from the mod work to post about the modwork you've already done? At least that way devSin will appear, say that you've done it wrong and that he's done something better, giving you an idea for an altogether third approach?
This is yet another case where I really don't know left from right. After playing IWD the last time, I couldn't even work up the courage to do anything more than peek at the resources.

I don't have access to HoW and TotL, which is why I've not offered to help. Bigger fish to fry than worrying about whether non-expansion buffoons could limp along at this stage.

Almost all of the spells are salvageable, though there's no room for a couple of them (not that it really matters for scripting, spwi399 = 2399 = WHAT_EVER is adequate.

Sure, it's just a question of time and automation. If we have to handle each one individually, then early versions should probably go just for required spells (i.e. bombardier beetles and their annoying clouds) and then work on the remainder for future releases.

Regardless, I'm sure the first posts will be along the lines of "it's not the same unless druids get their r0x0r IWD spells", as that's what we got for Divine Remix. :)

Regardless, I'm sure the first posts will be along the lines of "it's not the same unless druids get their r0x0r IWD spells", as that's what we got for Divine Remix. :)

It's not like there are so many other reasons to play the game, though :( (Sure, Inon Zur writes lovely stuff and there's a haunting cutscene or two....)

If you want my ports from IWD (including the Bardsongs) they're yours, although I've no graphics ability and never got Spike Stones and the like to look less than pitiable. Galactygon's done some of that too, hasn't he?

I hope you're not trying to support an expansion-less version as well. I don't think the dual upkeep and concommittant hairpulling could be worth it.

At present it's a TotL > ToB conversion. I don't think a base IWD or HoW should be too much harder, but I don't think there will be any way to do it without ToB.

Hurray! All that suffering beneath the chinchilla's iron paw is redeemed :)

Guest Splunge
Now that the first of April has passed and this is legit, sounds like a lot of work for a game that is not as popular as the Baldur's Gate series.

OK, so I’ve been lurking around the G3 forums for awhile now (well, not so much lurking, as anyone who visits SP at least on a semi-regular basis probably knows who I am), and I have to ask Gabrielle this question:

Are you a modder? Or are you just a mod-criticizer? I don’t mean this as a sarcastic comment. I ask this because I have yet to read a comment of yours on G3 that actually has anything constructive to say, so I have to wonder what exactly your objective is with your posts here. I fully realize that my own posts on these boards are not exactly full of insight or meaningful content (heck, the same could be said of my “contributions†to SP). However, from what I have witnessed (and I readily admit that my exposure is fairly limited), your approach (quite unlike mine) seems to involve ridiculing or dismissing ideas presented in the G3 forums without actually offering any useful ideas or alternatives of your own.

G3 (like PPG, SHS, BWL, etc.) exists to develop IE game mods for the benefit of gamers such as myself. As a gamer, I appreciate everyone’s efforts, and I get concerned when I witness what I perceive as efforts to discourage other modders from doing what they do so well. So I ask that you help out an old fellow (i.e. me), and explain what it is that you are trying to accomplish with posts such the one of yours above. Because, as is often the case, I’m confused.

And if the posts that I have read are atypical of the norm for you, then I humbly apologize in advance for jumping to conclusions.

Don't know would it help at all, but you should at least look at the NeJ project as some of the resources form the IwD was converted to that project... as it was originally ment to be the IWD-BG2 project...

Plus don't forget the IwDNPC project that Kulyok is doing...

And then I have to ask, will this be a TC, or just a lot of TLC. :)

A non-modder does not understand the situation of this project that they, Cammy in particular, are taking. Converting IWD to use the BG2 engine is not a mere alteration of a few files but a huge undertaking. An undertaking that will take a lot of hard work and endless hours that will amount to days. Is it worth doing? This is a game that has not been as popular as the BG games in the past when it was first released and probably even less now as time has moved on. They want to do it, take on this huge undertaking, I am more than happy to see it get done.

Guest Splunge

Gabrielle, you’re right – I haven’t got a sniff of a clue of what it takes to create a mod, but obviously CamDawg and other modders (such as yourself) do, and if they want to take it on, so be it. I think, however, that you might be underestimating the popularity of IWD. If you go to the IWD forum at SP, for example, you’ll see that there are over 30 threads with posts in the last 60 days. Granted, the number of posts per thread aren’t numerous, and overall the IWD forum is nowhere near as popular as the BG2 forums; it is, however, almost as popular as the BG1 forum. Having said that, whether CamDawg’s proposed mod would be used enough to make it worth the effort involved is his (and those other modders who would be involved) call.

(BTW, thanks for proving me wrong, as the first of your two posts above was quite constructive. :) )

Gabrielle is colorful.

That much I knew already. :(

A non-modder does not understand the situation of this project that they, Cammy in particular, are taking. Converting IWD to use the BG2 engine is not a mere alteration of a few files but a huge undertaking. An undertaking that will take a lot of hard work and endless hours that will amount to days. Is it worth doing? This is a game that has not been as popular as the BG games in the past when it was first released and probably even less now as time has moved on. They want to do it, take on this huge undertaking, I am more than happy to see it get done.

After spending a month on it already, yes, I have a very good idea of what's in store.

Archived