Brainstorm Request - Inspiration for Friendtalks

cmorgan

[sidebar]Yup. My latest try went with the Night Ops mod, which was... exciting. Tons of lead flying about most agreeably.[/sidebar]

M.E.R.C. would be the local one-day NPC labor union? ;)

Ah, the identical bartender brothers. *chuckle*

Hells, man - you just gave me a whole raft of ideas - I am now laughing my head off, trying to come up with how to FR-ize

"Whe-he-hey, better bung a bandage on this before I cark it in a pool of blood and piss."

and

"So long, snapperhead."

and

"Jeeze, talk about losing face..."

but mostly

"Ah'm here. I ate every bug on the way. There were many. " ;)

I think I've seen one of the herolds/guys who are screaming on the streets that Amn plans conquest and exploration of lands of Maztica which resembles Spain's conquest of America. I think that'd be an interesting topic for a banter with companion, to talk about possible outcomes and what we can find there. Intelligent character could even possess some knowledge about Maztica so hey ;)

Other topics to talk (random ideas):

- what would happen if there would be no "I'm Bhaalspawn" thing or Aran didn't decided to be an Adventurer

- best treasure ever found: hey, you've found Ring of Protection in a friggin tree!

- reminescence of old companions: (check from BGT would be great, dunno how to do it in solid BG2) where you can talk something good or bad about guys from BG1; Aran would say something interesting about his old friends.

Also, I'd love to see Aran's initiated talk around fireplace. Just before your journey to Suldanesselar. You, Aran, your companions - wine, reminescenses, banters about funniest scenes and interesting people from your whole journey ("hey, do you remember this guy who offered Planar Sphere for 500 gold pieces?"). But I think this one would be so huge that it could be another mod. ^^

I think I've seen one of the herolds/guys who are screaming on the streets that Amn plans conquest and exploration of lands of Maztica which resembles Spain's conquest of America. I think that'd be an interesting topic for a banter with companion, to talk about possible outcomes and what we can find there. Intelligent character could even possess some knowledge about Maztica so hey ;)
Or better yet, get shanghaied/press-ganged after an indiscreet round or three of drinks at an Amnish tavern and wake up in Maztica, custom jungle area, screaming natives, Mesoamerican-like ruins, blood sacrifices and all. See how Aran can talk his way out of *that* ;).

The Bhaalspawn goes through a very rough time. So I would like my bhaalspawn to loosen up a bit. So maybe they could do some lighthearted, crazy, even silly/childish stuff to lighten up the mood like:

*Howling at the moon

*Bowling with dwarfen bread (if Korgan is in the group)

*Being the "wing man" when try hiting on a boy/girl (Have you met "charname"?)

*Dancing (naked) in the rain

*Playing card games

*Painting on every wall: An evil bhaalspawn was there!

*Making evil plans involving hamsters to rule the world...

Starting with simple talk "what would you do if you were a ruler of the world" which can go into fantasing about assuming control over everything ending with "but gwah, you're a children of god. Damn. DAMN you ARAN for those stupid ideas!". ^^

OK, working through the ideas as they spark something... installment 2 (3 if you count my attempt for an "opposite of wordy" talk).

/* ToB: "My kingdom for a horse." Complaints of walking. Everywhere. - Idea by Igneous */

IF ~CONDITION~ THEN BEGIN kingdom_for_a_horse // 7 options
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, this be just plain silly. Why in Gond's Great Gears do we have to be blighted walkin' everywhere?~
 ++ ~[PC] What does that have to do with my mission?~ DO ~GLOBALSET TIMERSET~ + reply_1
 ++ ~[PC] I know it is slow and sometimes painful, but I don't see any alternatives.~ DO ~GLOBALSET TIMERSET~ + reply_2
 + ~InParty("Aerie") !StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ + ~[PC] We walk because we have feet. Did you want to try sprouting wings?~ DO ~GLOBALSET TIMERSET~ + reply_3_aerie
 + ~OR(2)!InParty("Aerie") StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ + ~[PC] We walk because we have feet. Did you want to try sprounting wings?~ DO ~GLOBALSET TIMERSET~ + reply_3_noaerie
 ++ ~[PC] Because you would get tired of carrying me on your back?~ DO ~GLOBALSET TIMERSET~ + reply_4
 ++ ~[PC] I agree. We should get some horses. Do you know where we can get some?~ DO ~GLOBALSET TIMERSET~ + no_horse
 ++ ~[PC] If there is some way I could support you on this, please, let me know. I just don't see any good alternatives to using our feet.~ DO ~GLOBALSET TIMERSET~  + walkabout_sux
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] Just shut up and let's keep moving.~ DO ~GLOBALSET TIMERSET~ + a1919 /* c-aranshutup13 ~[ARAN] Lolth's Cruel Fingernails, you can cut a man down. Sure. Shuttin' up.~ */
+ ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] Less complaining, or I will cut out your tongue and use it as fishbait.~ DO ~GLOBALSET TIMERSET~ + a1920 /* c-aranshutup14 ~[ARAN] Umberlee's Fickle Breath, I'll shut my blighted mouth, then.~ */
+ ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] Were you talking, or did you just break wind?~ DO ~GLOBALSET TIMERSET~ + a1921 /* c-aranshutup15 ~[ARAN] Malar's Sharp Teeth. Shuttin' up an' soldierin'.~ */
END

IF ~~ no_horses
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Well, I might... but there be a big problem. I somehow think a horse might not last in that little plane o' th' hells you created. They might make th' trip, but keepin' 'em in their right mind might be dangerous.~
 ++ ~[PC] I could make it calming for them, I think.~ + pocketplane_sux_but_rulz
 ++ ~[PC] Good point. So basically, horses are a bad idea.~ + pocketplane_sux_but_rulz
 ++ ~[PC] Well, what about some of those flying Calimshan carpets? Do you have any sources for those?~ + no_carpetz
 ++ ~[PC] There is also that whole talk you gave me one night about how horses are force multipliers, but come with heavy costs.... food, care, and the fact that you become a big shiny monster target...~ + it_be_principle
 ++ ~[PC] I do remember something about how keeping close to the ground and reducing the potential angles of attack made better tactical sense. In fact, I think you have said that about two hundred times.~ + it_be_principle
END

IF ~~ pocketplane_sux_but_rulz
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] To be fair, this whole poppin' in an' out o' existence cuts down a fair bit on th' walkin'. I do remember traipsin' around a good deal more back when we didn't have no option like that.~
 ++ ~[PC] So why were you complaining?~ + it_be_principle
 + ~ReputationGT(Player1,16)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + sullen_good
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,17) ReputationGT(Player1,11)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + sullen_neutralgood
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,12) ReputationGT(Player1,8)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + sullen_neutralevil
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,9)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + sullen_evil
 ++ ~[PC] I think of it as my home away from home, complete with butler. Hey I don't have to worry about you there! Nothing for you to break!~ + good_things_bad_things
 + ~ReputationGT(Player1,16)~ + ~[PC] You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintainence.~ + sullen_good
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,17) ReputationGT(Player1,11)~ + ~[PC]  You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintainence.~ + muscle_maintainence_ng
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,12) ReputationGT(Player1,8)~ + ~[PC]  You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintainence.~ + muscle_maintainence_ne
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,9)~ + ~[PC] You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintainence.~ + muscle_maintainence_evil
 ++ ~[PC] I am glad that having sections of my soul torn and ripping open the fabric of reality let you take it easy on your feet. Next time, it is your turn to be the primary target of a dead god and his minions.~ + good_point_there 
 ++ ~[PC] Aran, there is an old Candlekeep saying... "Let not the reader complain of the words already enscribed, for they are the past. Let the knowledge in them carry the future forward".~ + blighted_bookers
END

IF ~~ no_carpetz
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Well, I might... but there be a big problem. I somehow think a group o' us flyin' off between areas on a raft o' them contraptions might give away our position, an' make it a bit tougher to be stealthy. Plus, Dragons. They fly. Though it might cut down on th' number o' undead we run across... wait, nope. Vampires fly too. Blighted hells.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO pocketplane_sux_but_rulz
END

IF ~~ blighted_bookers
 SAY ~[ARAN] It be a real suprise you survived that place. I like a simpler way o' sayin' it... 'Don't bother complaining - just fix it, kill it, or ignore it, and move on'.~
 = ~[ARAN] (mutter) Blighted hells... 'Let not th' Shar-kissed book-looker get <PRO_HISHER> panties in a twist, or <PRO_HESHE will blighted well use Cyric-Buggerin' fancy-pants phraseology an' bore th' livin' daylights out o' th' poor sod who just doesn't want his feet to hurt so bad'...~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ it_be_principle
 SAY ~[ARAN] I do guess we might bring up some problems wi' th' whole idea. I just don't like walkin' around. Everywhere. Constantly. Especially when there be wagons, carts, airships, magical equipment, boats.... well, you get th' idea.~
 + ~ReputationGT(Player1,16)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + sullen_good
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,17) ReputationGT(Player1,11)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + sullen_neutralgood
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,12) ReputationGT(Player1,8)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + sullen_neutralevil
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,9)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + sullen_evil
 ++ ~[PC] I wish there were a better way, Aran. But I think we are stuck with just using our feet. It has served well enough for a long time now.~ + good_point_there
 + ~ReputationGT(Player1,16)~ + ~[PC] You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintainence.~ + sullen_good
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,17) ReputationGT(Player1,11)~ + ~[PC]  You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintainence.~ + muscle_maintainence_ng
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,12) ReputationGT(Player1,8)~ + ~[PC]  You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintainence.~ + muscle_maintainence_ne
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,9)~ + ~[PC] You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintainence.~ + muscle_maintainence_evil
 ++ ~[PC] Just think of how wonderful that footbath and massage will feel when you finally get a chance to indulge..~ + good_point_there  
END

IF ~~ reply_1
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Well, it does, a bit. We could move a might faster, you know.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO walkabout_sux
END

IF ~~ reply_2
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] I see a right fine set o' alternatives, I do...~
END

IF ~~ reply_3_aerie
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Blighted hells... keep your voice down, eh? I know Aerie has a mite bit more self confidence, but th' whole wing thing most likely will bother her on some level for th' rest o' her life. No provokin' more waterworks, for all th' god's sake.~
END

IF ~~ reply_3_noaerie
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Now that would be a right fine joke, now, wouldn't it. I don't see where I'd be stuffin' a set o' wings in this here armour, that be for sure.~
END

IF ~~ reply_4 // 6 options
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Do we be talkin' physically, or just metaphorically?~
 ++ ~[PC] Watch it, sellsword. Joking with me is gambling with Fate. Not many have bet against her and lived.~ + walkabout_sux
 ++ ~[PC] Physically, of course. I can just see it, the two of us, battling dragons, me riding your shoulders like a child...~ + walkabout_sux
 ++ ~[PC] Do you even know what 'metaphorically' means?~ + walkabout_sux
 ++ ~[PC] You carry your fair share of battles, Aran. I was only joking about with you.~ + walkabout_sux
 ++ ~[PC] I love a man with quick wit. When are you going to introduce me to one?~ + walkabout_sux
 ++ ~[PC] I love a man with quick wit. It lightens my day. ~ + walkabout_sux
END

IF ~~ walkabout_sux // 6 options
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Look, we be one o' th' most powerful forces on th' face o' Toril, but do we ride horses around? Do we use one o' them flyin' Calimshan carpet contraptions? Do we summon levitation spells an' waft are way about, pretty as a feather? No. We blighted slog through th' crap like we was green recruits doin' basic traninin'. ~ 
 ++ ~[PC] We would if we could. But we need to concentrate on basics. Feeding and protecting animals, securing magical items, all of that distracts from our mission. We can't expend magic on things that we can do with our own two feet.~ + good_point_there
 ++ ~[PC] Have you seen any horses to buy, or carpets to steal? Have you ever managed to cast a levitate spell that lasts for hours on end and doesn't subject us to the first strong wind blowing us into a ravine?~ + good_point_there
 ++ ~[PC] I may be one of the most powerful forces on the face of Toril. You are just the smelliest.~ + good_point_there
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] Now you are just whining. Shut up, or I will trade you in for something useful, like a smart-talking two-handed sword with delusions of grandeur.~ + a1919 /* c-aranshutup13 ~[ARAN] Lolth's Cruel Fingernails, you can cut a man down. Sure. Shuttin' up.~ */
+ ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] Dear gods, you never shut up, do you?~ + a1920 /* c-aranshutup14 ~[ARAN] Umberlee's Fickle Breath, I'll shut my blighted mouth, then.~ */
+ ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] All I hear is whine, whimper, cry. Are you really a sellsword, or do you just play one at the Ten Taverns Amateur Acting Night?~ + a1921 /* c-aranshutup15 ~[ARAN] Malar's Sharp Teeth. Shuttin' up an' soldierin'.~ */
END

IF ~~ sullen_good // 5 to 6 options
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Right. I guess I be doin' too much grousin', on account o' you mostly do th' right thing by people. If you saw th' need, you would provide it.~
 + ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I figure you are smart, dextrous, and tough. A little walking won't kill you. It will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You may be weilding some decent magic now, but I always think it is good to stick to basics, too. You wouldn't want to lose all that fighting muscle, now, would you?~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] The gods provide you with spells, but you have to be strong enough to carry the gear and protect yourself. There is no sense in taking the easy way out.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Just think of it as a necessary evil bound to the fighting profession. Besides, getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, or so you have told me...~ + good_point_there  
 ++ ~[PC] We need to concentrate on basics. Feeding and protecting animals, securing magical items, all of that distracts from our mission. We can't expend magic on things that we can do with our own two feet.~ + good_point_there
 ++ ~[PC] Have you seen any horses to buy, or carpets to steal? Have you ever managed to cast a levitate spell that lasts for hours on end and doesn't subject us to the first strong wind blowing us into a ravine?~ + good_point_there
 ++ ~[PC] Plus, I tend to listen when a trusted military advisor says "no horses... too big, too hard to feed, to hard to heal, and too hard to keep quiet when a blighted great dragon comes swooping down on you. Wasn't it you who said "swooping is bad"? Or was it someone else?~ + good_point_there
 ++ ~[PC] It would be so much easier if you would just understand that I am right. Well, once I thought I was wrong, but it turns out I was mistaken, so I was actually right.~ + good_point_there
END

IF ~~ sullen_neutralgood // 6 to 7 options
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] You know, sometimes it be more than about you, eh? You do right by most folks, I know. But this walkin' business, it don't seem like you are lookin out for th' party.~
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] Now you are just whining. Shut up, or I will trade you in for something useful, like a smart-talking two-handed sword with delusions of grandeur.~ + a1919 /* c-aranshutup13 ~[ARAN] Lolth's Cruel Fingernails, you can cut a man down. Sure. Shuttin' up.~ */
+ ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] Dear gods, you never shut up, do you?~ + a1920 /* c-aranshutup14 ~[ARAN] Umberlee's Fickle Breath, I'll shut my blighted mouth, then.~ */
+ ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] All I hear is whine, whimper, cry. Are you really a sellsword, or do you just play one at the Ten Taverns Amateur Acting Night?~ + a1921 /* c-aranshutup15 ~[ARAN] Malar's Sharp Teeth. Shuttin' up an' soldierin'.~ */
 + ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] A little walking won't kill you. It will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps. You don't have to sulk about it.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You may be weilding some decent magic now, but you wouldn't want to lose all that fighting muscle, now, would you?~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] The gods provide you with spells, but you have to be strong enough to carry the gear and protect yourself. If you don't like it, you could try praying for some support.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I thought you said getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, and that flying opponents are much more vulnerable.~ + good_point_there  
 ++ ~[PC] We need to concentrate on basics. Feeding and protecting animals, securing magical items, all of that distracts from our mission. We can't expend magic on things that we can do with our own two feet.~ + good_point_there
 ++ ~[PC] It sounds more like you are just grumbling about your feet, and not really thinking things through. I think I have proven that I look out for more than my own interests.~ + good_point_there
 ++ ~[PC] True, all too true. After all, my usual day starts with squishing small squirrels, and wandering about thinking up ways to torture you and make your life miserable. Then I eat a hearty breakfast, and get to the job of making your life a living hell.~ + good_point_there
END

IF ~~ sullen_neutralevil // 6 to 7 options
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] That would figure. Another way to torture me an' still make it be all about you.~
 + ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Walking will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps, doing my bidding. You don't have to sulk about it.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You may be weilding magic now, but I don't want to have you lose all that fighting muscle.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] The gods provide you with spells, but you have to be strong enough to carry the gear and protect yourself. If you don't like it, take it up with them. Until then, stop crying about it.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Your words, your analysis... you said getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, and that flying opponents are much more vulnerable.~ + good_point_there   
 ++ ~[PC] I don't want to torture you, Aran. I want to make sure you are useful to my goals. If I make you suffer, it is for a reason.~ + good_point_there
 ++ ~[PC] If it were all about you, do you think I would be here?~ + good_point_there
END

IF ~~ sullen_evil
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] I done forgot again. Everythin' be about you.~
 + ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Walking will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps, doing my bidding. Think of it as job protection.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I won't have you lose all that fighting muscle. Spells will only take you so far, and I expect you to be both might and magic, if I am going to have a use for you here.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] The gods provide you with spells, but you have to be strong enough to carry the gear and protect yourself. If you don't like it, take it up with them. Until then, stop crying about it.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You said getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, and that flying opponents are much more vulnerable. Don't cry when I actually take your advice... be thankful I acknowledge that you are useful to me, in a minor way.~ + good_point_there   
 ++ ~[PC] Absolutely. And don't forget it again. A man who serves me well could accomplish many things. A man who annoys me could accomplish many things, but none of them would be the sort of thing they really want.~ + good_point_there
 ++ ~[PC] Don't make it be about you. There is only room for one leader.~ + good_point_there
END

IF ~~ muscle_maintainence_ng
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] I suppose you be right. Most times, you are. But my feet get right sore, an' I don't have no other outlet than to complain, eh?~
 + ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] A little walking won't kill you. It will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps. You don't have to sulk about it.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You may be weilding some decent magic now, but you wouldn't want to lose all that fighting muscle, now, would you?~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] The gods provide you with spells, but you have to be strong enough to carry the gear and protect yourself. If you don't like it, you could try praying for some support.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I thought you said getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, and that flying opponents are much more vulnerable.~ + good_point_there   
 ++ ~[PC] I think we are better served by complaining only about things we can actually do something about.~ + good_point_ther
 ++ ~[PC] What is the use of complaining? The gods seem to have a strange sense of humor on that one. Complain to little, and they cause you mischief. Complain too much, and they give you more mishchief.~ + good_point_there  
END

IF ~~ muscle_maintainence_ne
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] I suppose you might look at it that way, you havin' a mean streak an' all. Though I suppose I should be thankful you don't come up wi' more insidious ways o' makin' my life hell.~
 + ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Walking will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps, doing my bidding. Think of it as job protection.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I won't have you lose all that fighting muscle. Spells will only take you so far, and I expect you to be both might and magic, if I am going to have a use for you here.~ + good_point_there
 + ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You said getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, and that flying opponents are much more vulnerable. Don't cry when I actually take your advice... be thankful I acknowledge that you are useful to me, in a minor way.~ + good_point_there   
 ++ ~[PC] Stop thinking. It makes it harder for me to control you, and therefore makes you less useful to my goals. I like you, Aran. I wouldn't want to have to get rid of you.~ EXIT 
 ++ ~[PC] Actually, I thought about hving you carry some rocks in your gear, just to toughen you up more, but I need you rested enough for combat. I may have my own interests at heart, but my interests do end up lining your pocket and making you more powerful, so it might be time to shut up and soldier, soldier.~ + good_point 
END

IF ~~ muscle_maintainence_evil
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Figures.Right, right, got it... strength an' control gives th' biggest rewards. I should look for ways o' turnin' th' walkin' into an andvantage. None o' that soft goodie-twoshoes help th' other guy out... toughen up or get th' blighted hells out o' th' way.~
 ++ ~[PC] Stop thinking. It makes it harder for me to control you, and therefore makes you less useful to my goals. I like you, Aran. I wouldn't want to have to get rid of you.~ EXIT 
 ++ ~[PC] Absolutely. You are learning. I have high hopes, for you, Aran. Either you will be a valuable asset, or a strong rival. I look forward to the day when you finally grow a spine, and I get to crush you back into submission.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ good_point_there
 SAY ~[ARAN] You do have a good point there. I think I'd best be shuttin' up an' gettin' back to th' job at hand.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

/* Bonus Round - Simple Word States, Maximum Effect: The Teacher's Workroom. */

IF ~CONDITION~ THEN BEGIN nonwordy
 SAY ~[ARAN] Somethin' wrong?~
 ++ ~[PC] Nothing.~ + words_one
 ++ ~[PC] Everything.~ + words_one
 ++ ~[PC] Something.~ + words_one
 ++ ~[PC] Shut up.~ + words_one
 ++ ~[PC] Go away.~ + words_one
END

IF ~~ words_one
 SAY ~[ARAN] Need help?~
 ++ ~[PC] No.~ + words_two
 ++ ~[PC] Yes.~ + words_two
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps.~ + words_two
 ++ ~[PC] Shut up.~ + words_two
 ++ ~[PC] Go away.~ + words_two
END

IF ~~ words_two
 SAY ~[ARAN] What can I do?~
 ++ ~[PC] Nothing.~ + words_three
 ++ ~[PC] Everything.~ + words_three
 ++ ~[PC] Something.~ + words_three
 ++ ~[PC] Shut up.~ + words_three
 ++ ~[PC] Go away.~ + words_three
END

IF ~~ words_three
 SAY ~[ARAN] Lost me...~
 ++ ~[PC] Not here.~ + words_four
 ++ ~[PC] Forget it.~ + words_four
 ++ ~[PC] Got my back?~ + words_five
 ++ ~[PC] Later.~ + words_four
 ++ ~[PC] SHUT UP.~ + words_four
 + ~Gender(Player1,MALE)~ + ~[PC] Screw you.~ + words_male
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~[PC] Screw you.~ + words_female
END

IF ~~ words_four
 SAY ~[ARAN] Understood.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT 
END

IF ~~ words_five
 SAY ~[ARAN] Always.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT 
END

IF ~~ words_male
 SAY ~[ARAN] No thanks.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT 
END

IF ~~ words_five
 SAY ~[ARAN] When an' where?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT 
END

Will those of us on the romance path still be getting these talks? If so, an alternate, more flirty response to "Because you would get tired of carrying me on your back?" would be fun.

IF ~~ blighted_bookers

SAY ~[ARAN] It be a real surprise you survived that place. I like a simpler way o' sayin' it... 'Don't bother complaining - just fix it, kill it, or ignore it, and move on'.~

+ ~OR(2)!InParty("Aerie") StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ + ~[PC] We walk because we have feet. Did you want to try sprouting wings?~ DO ~GLOBALSET TIMERSET~ + reply_3_noaerie

maintenance

This one appears quite a few times in it_be_principle, pocketplane_sux_but_rulz, and walkabout_sux, as well as the muscle maintenance options.

+ ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You may be wielding magic now, but I don't want to have you lose all that fighting muscle.~ + good_point_there

Appears in sullen_good, sullen_neutralgood,sullen_neutralevil, and the NG muscle maintenance.

++ ~[PC] Actually, I thought about having you carry some rocks in your gear, just to toughen you up more, but I need you rested enough for combat. I may have my own interests at heart, but my interests do end up lining your pocket and making you more powerful, so it might be time to shut up and soldier, soldier.~ + good_point

++ ~[PC] True, all too true. After all, my usual day starts with squishing small squirrels, and wandering about thinking up ways to torture you and make your life miserable. Then I eat a hearty breakfast, and get to the job of making your life a living hell.~ + good_point_there

Should this response really be in sullen_neutralgood?

IF ~~ words_five

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

Since there's already a words_five, I'm assuming this is the female response to "Screw you" and thus needs to be words_female instead.

Rebuild given commentary - Talk 2 is a variation on "streamlined" with only a few diversions; Talk 3 is as "minimalist" as I could possibly write. After playtest, Talk 2 may need some more - have to see - but in the interests of stepping up my game and getting things done faster, I am moving on from these to and on to the next idea unless someone sees something that is particulary jarring or wrong or just plain stinky :)

/* ToB Friend Talks */

/* ToB 2 : "My kingdom for a horse." Complaints of walking. Everywhere. - Idea by Igneous */

IF ~Global("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN BEGIN a2764 // 7 options
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, this be just plain silly. Why in Gond's Great Gears do we have to be blighted walkin' everywhere?~
 ++ ~[PC] What does that have to do with my mission?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",4) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2765
 ++ ~[PC] I know it is slow and sometimes painful, but I don't see any alternatives.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",4) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2766
 + ~InParty("Aerie") !StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ + ~[PC] We walk because we have feet. Did you want to try sprouting wings?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",4) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2767
 + ~OR(2)!InParty("Aerie") StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ + ~[PC] We walk because we have feet. Did you want to try sprouting wings?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",4) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2768
 + ~!Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] Because you would get tired of carrying me on your back?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",4) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2772
 + ~Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] Because you would get tired of carrying me on your back?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",4) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2769
 ++ ~[PC] I agree. We should get some horses. Do you know where we can get some?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",4) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2771
 ++ ~[PC] If there is some way I could support you on this, please, let me know. I just don't see any good alternatives to using our feet.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",4) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~  + a2770
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] Just shut up and let's keep moving.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",4) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + tob_a1919 /* c-aranshutup13 ~[ARAN] Lolth's Cruel Fingernails, you can cut a man down. Sure. Shuttin' up.~ */
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] Less complaining, or I will cut out your tongue and use it as fishbait.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",4) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + tob_a1920 /* c-aranshutup14 ~[ARAN] Umberlee's Fickle Breath, I'll shut my blighted mouth, then.~ */
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] Were you talking, or did you just break wind?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",4) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + tob_a1921 /* c-aranshutup15 ~[ARAN] Malar's Sharp Teeth. Shuttin' up an' soldierin'.~ */
END

IF ~~ a2765
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Well, it does, a bit. We could move a might faster, you know.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a2770
END

IF ~~ a2766
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] I see a right fine set o' alternatives, I do...~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a2770
END

IF ~~ a2767
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Blighted hells... keep your voice down, eh? I know Aerie has a mite bit more self confidence now, but th' whole wing thing most likely will bother her on some level for th' rest o' her life. No provokin' more waterworks, for all th' god's sake.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a2770
END

IF ~~ a2768
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Now that would be a right fine joke, now, wouldn't it. I don't see where I'd be stuffin' a set o' wings in this here armour, that be for sure.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a2770
END

IF ~~ a2769 // 7 options
 ++ ~[PC] Watch it, sellsword. I am an easy woman to understand. I *always* mean physically.~ + a2770
 ++ ~[PC] I can just see it, the two of us, battling dragons, me riding your shoulders, cuddled up around your head...~ + a2786
 ++ ~[PC] Do you even know what 'metaphorically' means?~ + a2770
 ++ ~[PC] I could try ride your front, if you want, instead... but somehow I think that would be a little distracting. Especially when I kiss you.~ + a2787
 ++ ~[PC] It would be more romantic if you carried me in your arms, instead.~ + a2788
 ++ ~[PC] Don't you want to feel my thighs clasped firmly around you, holding on tight?~ + a2787
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, come on, Aran.... give me a piggy-back ride!~ + a2789
END

IF ~~ a2770 // 6 options
SAY ~[C-ARAN] Look, we be one o' th' most powerful forces on th' face o' Toril, but do we ride horses around? Do we use one o' them flyin' Calimshan carpet contraptions? Do we summon levitation spells an' waft are way about, pretty as a feather? No. We blighted slog through th' crap like we was green recruits doin' basic traninin'. ~
+ ~ReputationGT(Player1,16)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + a2776
+ ~ReputationLT(Player1,17) ReputationGT(Player1,11)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + a2777
+ ~ReputationLT(Player1,12) ReputationGT(Player1,8)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + a2778
+ ~ReputationLT(Player1,9)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + a2779
++ ~[PC] We would if we could. But we need to concentrate on basics. Feeding and protecting animals, securing magical items, all of that distracts from our mission. We can't expend magic on things that we can do with our own two feet.~ + a2784
++ ~[PC] Have you seen any horses to buy, or carpets to steal? Have you ever managed to cast a levitate spell that lasts for hours on end and doesn't subject us to the first strong wind blowing us into a ravine?~ + a2784
+ ~ReputationGT(Player1,16)~ + ~[PC] You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintenance.~ + a2776
+ ~ReputationLT(Player1,17) ReputationGT(Player1,11)~ + ~[PC]  You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintenance.~ + a2781
+ ~ReputationLT(Player1,12) ReputationGT(Player1,8)~ + ~[PC]  You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintenance.~ + a2782
+ ~ReputationLT(Player1,9)~ + ~[PC] You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintenance.~ + a2783
++ ~[PC] I may be one of the most powerful forces on the face of Toril. You are just the smelliest.~ + a2784
+ ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] Now you are just whining. Shut up, or I will trade you in for something useful, like a smart-talking two-handed sword with delusions of grandeur.~ + tob_a1919 /* c-aranshutup13 ~[ARAN] Lolth's Cruel Fingernails, you can cut a man down. Sure. Shuttin' up.~ */
+ ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] Dear gods, you never shut up, do you?~ + tob_a1920 /* c-aranshutup14 ~[ARAN] Umberlee's Fickle Breath, I'll shut my blighted mouth, then.~ */
+ ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] All I hear is whine, whimper, cry. Are you really a sellsword, or do you just play one at the Ten Taverns Amateur Acting Night?~ + tob_a1921 /* c-aranshutup15 ~[ARAN] Malar's Sharp Teeth. Shuttin' up an' soldierin'.~ */
END

IF ~~ a2771
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Well, I might... but there be a big problem. I somehow think a horse might not last in that little plane o' th' hells you created. They might make th' trip, but keepin' 'em in their right mind might be dangerous.~
 ++ ~[PC] I could make it calming for them, I think.~ + a2773
 ++ ~[PC] Good point. So basically, horses are a bad idea.~ + a2773
 ++ ~[PC] Well, what about some of those flying Calimshan carpets? Do you have any sources for those?~ + a2774
 ++ ~[PC] There is also that whole talk you gave me one night about how horses are force multipliers, but come with heavy costs.... food, care, and the fact that you become a big shiny monster target...~ + a2775
 ++ ~[PC] I do remember something about how keeping close to the ground and reducing the potential angles of attack made better tactical sense. In fact, I think you have said that about two hundred times.~ + a2775
END

IF ~~ a2772 // 6 options
 ++ ~[PC] Watch it, sellsword. Joking with me is gambling with Fate. Not many have bet against her and lived.~ + a2770
 ++ ~[PC] Physically, of course. I can just see it, the two of us, battling dragons, me riding your shoulders like a child...~ + a2770
 ++ ~[PC] Do you even know what 'metaphorically' means?~ + a2770
 ++ ~[PC] You carry your fair share of battles, Aran. I was only joking about with you.~ + a2770
 ++ ~[PC] I love a man with quick wit. When are you going to introduce me to one?~ + a2770
 ++ ~[PC] I love a man with quick wit. It lightens my day. ~ + a2770
END

IF ~~ a2773
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] To be fair, this whole poppin' in an' out o' existence cuts down a fair bit on th' walkin'. I do remember traipsin' around a good deal more back when we didn't have no option like that.~
 ++ ~[PC] So why were you complaining?~ + a2775
 + ~ReputationGT(Player1,16)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + a2776
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,17) ReputationGT(Player1,11)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + a2777
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,12) ReputationGT(Player1,8)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + a2778
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,9)~ + ~[PC] I am doing just fine on my own two feet.~ + a2779
 ++ ~[PC] I think of it as my home away from home, complete with butler. Hey I don't have to worry about you there! Nothing for you to break!~ + a2780
 + ~ReputationGT(Player1,16)~ + ~[PC] You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintenance.~ + a2776
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,17) ReputationGT(Player1,11)~ + ~[PC]  You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintenance.~ + a2781
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,12) ReputationGT(Player1,8)~ + ~[PC]  You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintenance.~ + a2782
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,9)~ + ~[PC] You are doing just fine on your own two feet. Think of it as muscle maintenance.~ + a2783
 ++ ~[PC] I am glad that having sections of my soul torn and ripping open the fabric of reality let you take it easy on your feet. Next time, it is your turn to be the primary target of a dead god and his minions.~ + a2784
 ++ ~[PC] Aran, there is an old Candlekeep saying... "Let not the reader complain of the words already enscribed, for they are the past. Let the knowledge in them carry the future forward".~ + a2785
END

IF ~~ a2774
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Well, I might... but there be a big problem. I somehow think a group o' us flyin' off between areas on a raft o' them contraptions might give away our position, an' make it a bit tougher to be stealthy. Plus, Dragons. They fly. Though it might cut down on th' number o' undead we run across... wait, nope. Vampires fly too. Blighted hells.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a2773
END

IF ~~ a2775
 SAY ~[ARAN] I do guess we might bring up some problems wi' th' whole idea. I just don't like walkin' around. Everywhere. Constantly. Especially when there be wagons, carts, airships, magical equipment, boats.... well, you get th' idea.~
 ++ ~[PC] I wish there were a better way, Aran. But I think we are stuck with just using our feet. It has served well enough for a long time now.~ + a2784
 ++ ~[PC] Just think of how wonderful that footbath and massage will feel when you finally get a chance to indulge..~ + a2784  
END

IF ~~ a2776 // 5 to 6 options
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Right. I guess I be doin' too much grousin', on account o' you mostly do th' right thing by people. If you saw th' need, you would provide it.~
 + ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I figure you are smart, dextrous, and tough. A little walking won't kill you. It will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps.~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You may be wielding some decent magic now, but I always think it is good to stick to basics, too. You wouldn't want to lose all that fighting muscle, now, would you?~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] The gods provide you with spells, but you have to be strong enough to carry the gear and protect yourself. There is no sense in taking the easy way out.~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Just think of it as a necessary evil bound to the fighting profession. Besides, getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, or so you have told me...~ + a2784  
 ++ ~[PC] We need to concentrate on basics. Feeding and protecting animals, securing magical items, all of that distracts from our mission. We can't expend magic on things that we can do with our own two feet.~ + a2784
 ++ ~[PC] Have you seen any horses to buy, or carpets to steal? Have you ever managed to cast a levitate spell that lasts for hours on end and doesn't subject us to the first strong wind blowing us into a ravine?~ + a2784
 ++ ~[PC] Plus, I tend to listen when a trusted military advisor says "no horses... too big, too hard to feed, to hard to heal, and too hard to keep quiet when a blighted great dragon comes swooping down on you. Wasn't it you who said "swooping is bad"? Or was it someone else?~ + a2784
 ++ ~[PC] It would be so much easier if you would just understand that I am right. Well, once I thought I was wrong, but it turns out I was mistaken, so I was actually right.~ + a2784
END

IF ~~ a2777 // 6 to 7 options
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] You know, sometimes it be more than about you, eh? You do right by most folks, I know. But this walkin' business, it don't seem like you are lookin out for th' party.~
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] Now you are just whining. Shut up, or I will trade you in for something useful, like a smart-talking two-handed sword with delusions of grandeur.~ + tob_a1919 /* c-aranshutup13 ~[ARAN] Lolth's Cruel Fingernails, you can cut a man down. Sure. Shuttin' up.~ */
+ ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] Dear gods, you never shut up, do you?~ + tob_a1920 /* c-aranshutup14 ~[ARAN] Umberlee's Fickle Breath, I'll shut my blighted mouth, then.~ */
+ ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] All I hear is whine, whimper, cry. Are you really a sellsword, or do you just play one at the Ten Taverns Amateur Acting Night?~ + tob_a1921 /* c-aranshutup15 ~[ARAN] Malar's Sharp Teeth. Shuttin' up an' soldierin'.~ */
 + ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] A little walking won't kill you. It will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps. You don't have to sulk about it.~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You may be wielding some decent magic now, but you wouldn't want to lose all that fighting muscle, now, would you?~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] The gods provide you with spells, but you have to be strong enough to carry the gear and protect yourself. If you don't like it, you could try praying for some support.~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I thought you said getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, and that flying opponents are much more vulnerable.~ + a2784  
 ++ ~[PC] We need to concentrate on basics. Feeding and protecting animals, securing magical items, all of that distracts from our mission. We can't expend magic on things that we can do with our own two feet.~ + a2784
 ++ ~[PC] It sounds more like you are just grumbling about your feet, and not really thinking things through. I think I have proven that I look out for more than my own interests.~ + a2784
 ++ ~[PC] That isn't fair at all. I talk to you, and I take your ideas into consideration. This isn't about me, or my needs. If I could have found alternatives, I would have.~ + a2784
END

IF ~~ a2778 // 6 to 7 options
SAY ~[C-ARAN] That would figure. Another way to torture me an' still make it be all about you.~
+ ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Walking will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps, doing my bidding. You don't have to sulk about it.~ + a2784
+ ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You may be wielding magic now, but I don't want to have you lose all that fighting muscle.~ + a2784
+ ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] The gods provide you with spells, but you have to be strong enough to carry the gear and protect yourself. If you don't like it, take it up with them. Until then, stop crying about it.~ + a2784
+ ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Your words, your analysis... you said getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, and that flying opponents are much more vulnerable.~ + a2784  
++ ~[PC] I don't want to torture you, Aran. I want to make sure you are useful to my goals. If I make you suffer, it is for a reason.~ + a2784
++ ~[PC] If it were all about you, do you think I would be here?~ + a2784
++ ~[PC] True, all too true. After all, my usual day starts with squishing small squirrels, and wandering about thinking up ways to torture you and make your life miserable. Then I eat a hearty breakfast, and get to the job of making your life a living hell.~ + a2784
END

IF ~~ a2779
SAY ~[C-ARAN] I done forgot again. Everythin' be about you.~
+ ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Walking will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps, doing my bidding. Think of it as job protection.~ + a2784
+ ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I won't have you lose all that fighting muscle. Spells will only take you so far, and I expect you to be both might and magic, if I am going to have a use for you here.~ + a2784
+ ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] The gods provide you with spells, but you have to be strong enough to carry the gear and protect yourself. If you don't like it, take it up with them. Until then, stop crying about it.~ + a2784
+ ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You said getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, and that flying opponents are much more vulnerable. Don't cry when I actually take your advice... be thankful I acknowledge that you are useful to me, in a minor way.~ + a2784  
++ ~[PC] Absolutely. And don't forget it again. A man who serves me well could accomplish many things. A man who annoys me could accomplish many things, but none of them would be the sort of thing they really want.~ + a2784
++ ~[PC] Don't make it be about you. There is only room for one leader.~ + a2784
END

IF ~~ a2780
SAY ~[C-ARAN] Funny, funny, funny. Don't trouble yourself none... I will find somethin' to break even there, by Tymora's Bright Coin. But I still think we could do better than usin' our feet.~
 + ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I figure you are smart, dextrous, and tough. A little walking won't kill you. It will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps.~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You may be wielding some decent magic now, but I always think it is good to stick to basics, too. You wouldn't want to lose all that fighting muscle, now, would you?~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] The gods provide you with spells, but you have to be strong enough to carry the gear and protect yourself. There is no sense in taking the easy way out.~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Just think of it as a necessary evil bound to the fighting profession. Besides, getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, or so you have told me...~ + a2784  
 ++ ~[PC] Plus, I tend to listen when a trusted military advisor says "no horses... too big, too hard to feed, to hard to heal, and too hard to keep quiet when a blighted great dragon comes swooping down on you. Wasn't it you who said "swooping is bad"? Or was it someone else?~ + a2784
 ++ ~[PC] It would be so much easier if you would just understand that I am right. Well, once I thought I was wrong, but it turns out I was mistaken, so I was actually right.~ + a2784
END

IF ~~ a2781
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] I suppose you be right. Most times, you are. But my feet get right sore, an' I don't have no other outlet than to complain, eh?~
 + ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] A little walking won't kill you. It will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps. You don't have to sulk about it.~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You may be wielding some decent magic now, but you wouldn't want to lose all that fighting muscle, now, would you?~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] The gods provide you with spells, but you have to be strong enough to carry the gear and protect yourself. If you don't like it, you could try praying for some support.~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I thought you said getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, and that flying opponents are much more vulnerable.~ + a2784  
 ++ ~[PC] I think we are better served by complaining only about things we can actually do something about.~ + a2784
 ++ ~[PC] What is the use of complaining? The gods seem to have a strange sense of humor on that one. Complain to little, and they cause you mischief. Complain too much, and they give you more mishchief.~ + a2784  
END

IF ~~ a2782
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] I suppose you might look at it that way, you havin' a mean streak an' all. Though I suppose I should be thankful you don't come up wi' more insidious ways o' makin' my life hell.~
 + ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Walking will make you stronger and more able to pick those locks and dodge those traps, doing my bidding. Think of it as job protection.~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I won't have you lose all that fighting muscle. Spells will only take you so far, and I expect you to be both might and magic, if I am going to have a use for you here.~ + a2784
 + ~Class("c-aran",FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You said getting up on a horse makes you a much larger target, and that flying opponents are much more vulnerable. Don't cry when I actually take your advice... be thankful I acknowledge that you are useful to me, in a minor way.~ + a2784  
 ++ ~[PC] Stop thinking. It makes it harder for me to control you, and therefore makes you less useful to my goals. I like you, Aran. I wouldn't want to have to get rid of you.~ + a2784
 ++ ~[PC] Actually, I thought about having you carry some rocks in your gear, just to toughen you up more, but I need you rested enough for combat. I may have my own interests at heart, but my interests do end up lining your pocket and making you more powerful, so it might be time to shut up and soldier, soldier.~ + a2784
END

IF ~~ a2783
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Figures.Right, right, got it... strength an' control gives th' biggest rewards. I should look for ways o' turnin' th' walkin' into an andvantage. None o' that soft goodie-twoshoes help th' other guy out... toughen up or get th' blighted hells out o' th' way.~
 ++ ~[PC] Stop thinking. It makes it harder for me to control you, and therefore makes you less useful to my goals. I like you, Aran. I wouldn't want to have to get rid of you.~ + a2784
 ++ ~[PC] Absolutely. You are learning. I have high hopes, for you, Aran. Either you will be a valuable asset, or a strong rival. I look forward to the day when you finally grow a spine, and I get to crush you back into submission.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ a2784
 SAY ~[ARAN] You do have a good point there. I think I'd best be shuttin' up an' gettin' back to th' job at hand.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a2785
 SAY ~[ARAN] It be a real surprise you survived that place. I like a simpler way o' sayin' it... 'Don't bother complaining - just fix it, kill it, or ignore it, and move on'.~
 = ~[ARAN] (mutter) Blighted hells... 'Let not th' Shar-kissed book-looker get <PRO_HISHER> panties in a twist, or <PRO_HESHE will blighted well use Cyric-Buggerin' fancy-pants phraseology an' bore th' livin' daylights out o' th' poor sod who just doesn't want his feet to hurt so bad...~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a2786
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Aye... it be all fun an' games, until th' wyrm strikes and we find ourselves a mite toasty main course! But on that walkin' thing...~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a2770
END

IF ~~ a2787
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] Now that be a right fine thought. Makes this armor feel a mite constrainin', but it still be one blighted wonderful thought. But on that walkin' thing...~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a2770
END

IF ~~ a2788
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] I could do that. Only I might have a mite bit o' trouble carryin' on, as I would want to stop every few paces an' kiss th' livin' daylights out o' you. But on that walkin' thing...~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a2770
END 

IF ~~ a2789
 SAY ~[C-ARAN] I'd be right happy to, but I have enough gear on right now that it would be a sorry sight, me staggerin' around. Tell you wahat, next time we see a nice meadow, we'll try it out. Mayhap somethin' else will happen, too. But on that walkin' thing...~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a2770
END

/* ToB 3: Bonus Round - Simple Word States, Maximum Effect: The Teacher's Workroom. */

IF ~Global("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",5)~ THEN BEGIN a2790
 SAY ~[ARAN] Somethin' wrong?~
 ++ ~[PC] Nothing.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",6) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2791
 ++ ~[PC] Everything.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",6) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2791
 ++ ~[PC] Something.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",6) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2791
 ++ ~[PC] Shut up.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",6) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2791
 ++ ~[PC] Go away.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendtob","GLOBAL",6) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",ARAN_FTT)~ + a2791
END

IF ~~ a2791
 SAY ~[ARAN] Need help?~
 ++ ~[PC] No.~ + a2792
 ++ ~[PC] Yes.~ + a2792
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps.~ + a2792
 ++ ~[PC] Shut up.~ + a2792
 ++ ~[PC] Go away.~ + a2792
END

IF ~~ a2792
 SAY ~[ARAN] What can I do?~
 ++ ~[PC] Nothing.~ + a2793
 ++ ~[PC] Everything.~ + a2793
 ++ ~[PC] Something.~ + a2793
 ++ ~[PC] Shut up.~ + a2793
 ++ ~[PC] Go away.~ + a2793
END

IF ~~ a2793
 SAY ~[ARAN] Lost me...~
 ++ ~[PC] Not here.~ + a2794
 ++ ~[PC] Forget it.~ + a2794
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) OR(2)Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",1) Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] Kiss me?~ + a2796
 ++ ~[PC] Got my back?~ + a2795
 ++ ~[PC] Later.~ + a2794
 ++ ~[PC] SHUT UP.~ + a2794
 + ~Gender(Player1,MALE)~ + ~[PC] Screw you.~ + a2797
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~[PC] Screw you.~ + a2798
END

IF ~~ a2794
 SAY ~[ARAN] Understood.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a2795
 SAY ~[ARAN] Always.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a2796
 SAY ~[ARAN] Yes ma'am!~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END
IF ~~ a2797
 SAY ~[ARAN] No thanks.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a2798
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

I agree with Autumn Bard that Rep is not the best way of determining alignment, given the fact that folks can modify it via temple donations - on this one, though, I am not going to correct it. I am still working up the alternatives and discovering how Reputation, Charisma, and Reaction interrelate, and will see what is up, but since the mod is also a repository of different types of coding, I may have some sections one way, some another, and pass off the possible minor inconsistencies as "Aran is not always tuned in".

The romance-oriented options made me laugh. :)

a2769: "I could try ride your front" should be "to ride your front".

a2770: "traninin'" should be "trainin'".

a2781: "Complain to little, and they cause you mischief. Complain too much, and they give you more mishchief." should be "Complain too little" and "they give you more mischief".

a2783: "Figures.Right, right, got it..." needs a space between the period and Right.

a2789: "Tell you wahat" should be "Tell you what".

The more references to FR-specific content, the better, as far as I'm concerned. It would be nice to have some conversation about current events, various locales, well-known personalities of the Realms...and so on. This would probably be most interesting if one or more of the characters involved in the discussion has personal experience to relate.

$.02 for you,

Eric

I'm coming quite late to the party here, and you've said you want to move on so no biggie if it doesn't interest, but I have 2 ideas I'd like to get out there about the "My Kingdom for a Horse" talk and see if either of them appeal...

My thought is it'd be kinda fun to have the PC offer Aran a piggy-back ride. Especially a Halfling who has a high strength by item or by nature and s/he could actually do it. Or the PC could swoop him up and carry him despite his protestations - maybe swooping isn't always bad. :)

A more in-depth aspect of this interaction would be how it relates back to the crisis point Aran goes through with regards to the strength differential between him and the PC with the PC being so much stronger than Aran, and how that makes Aran feel. The strength isn't necessarily a physical strength, but it certainly makes a simplified yet effective illustration of the issue nevertheless. It could potentially be used as a reference in later conversations as a tie-in to the crisis point spoken of in other threads. But since this conversation is to occur as a ToB talk, maybe the crisis point issue would have been resolved already. But it is fun to think about nonetheless.

Another possibility is the PC offering to buy him one of those little red kiddie-wagons in which he can be pulled along. It can even can be given as a gag gift in a PID, or something, after this initial conversation. Certainly silly, potentially anachronistic or out of place in BGII, but to my mind, fun, and it can bridge separate conversations to give a feel of building the relationship across more than one talk, or some such literary device-thing. Of course, the interaction could have different tones depending on their relationship and the nature of the PC.

Thanks and cheers!

[edit: evil, evil grammar]

You don't need a high strength to pick up somebody bigger than you are. Most women are perfectly capable of picking up their men-folk and carrying them for short distances... though perhaps a 30-pound halfling might have trouble picking up a full-sized human.

Archived