Is there a .CRE flag that determines dual-classing vs. multiclassing?

subtledoctor

1) In the base game, whether your character can dual-class or multiclass is determined simply by race. I'm fairly sure I remember turning Jaheira from a multi F/D to a dual F>D by simply switching her .cre file from half-elf to human (either in 'Keeper or NI, I forget which). Likewise you can make Imoen a multi M/T if you turn her into a half-elf... my own mod does that.

2) I know there are mods that let you change whether humans or demihumans can multi or dual or both. BG2Tweaks will let you choose any combination you want.

3) So, does anyone know if there's a flag or offset in .cre files that controls whether they are multi or dual, aside from just race?

I.e., if you applied the BG2Tweaks component to allow all races to both multi and dual, could you roll a multi character, and the at some point edit the .cre file to switch it to dual, mid-stream?

I have a wickedly good idea to re-introduce demihuman level limits, but in a far more interesting way than it was handled in PnP 2E...

3) Yes, duh. Offset 0x0010 + bit 3 to 8, aka the number is 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256. And a sum of the other possible flags.

The thing with this is... you can't really use that in your idea, as it just so happens the game has no way to effect the .cre directly, just with opcodes that do not have effect to this particular offset.

Thanks for the heads-up, I missed that.

As for feasibility, some further googling turned up this:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27032

If a script can *detect* OriginalClass, it should be possible to *set* OriginalClass... right? (With TobEx, at least.)

If I can make this work, everyone get ready for a mod that introduces 2E-style level limits for demihumans to BG2.

!!!

EDIT - here's a preview, and the proposed method:

New rule: elven multiclass fighter/mages are limited to 10th level as fighters.

First, check for TobEx. Second, check for BG2Tweaks allowing demihumans to dual-class, or just replicate the effect.

Now, create a .spl that uses an .eff to check for race=elf, and another .eff to check for class=fighter/mage. If the conditions are present, the .spl/.eff/.eff conjures the good ol' invisible monster, which runs a script that sets the character's OriginalClass to fighter. Drop this .spl into CLABFI01.2da at 10th level.

If it works, you can roll a multi F/M elf, and at 10th level it will convert you into a dual-class, and you will only advance as a mage from that point on.

My Bladesinger kit for elven F/Ms is technically a fighter kit, so it uses a different CLAB file instead of CLABFI01.2da... in that case this kit could have a different rule: maybe Bladesingers advance in their fighter class to 15th or 20th level before changing. The sky is the limit.

You don't have to be pre-determined and semi-racist about it the way 2E was, either. You could give *every* MC character a pair of innate abilities, they could advance as far as they want as a multi, and shut down one of the classes whenever they want. (I know a *lot* of multiclass thieves who would *love* that ability!)

It would be insanely great.

IF it works.

Hmm. Just now learning about BG2 scripting. So scripts can only perform actions in ACTION.IDS? I can't do something like this:

IF
    True()
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    Set OriginalClass(LastSummonerOf(Myself),FIGHTER)
    DestroySelf()
END

? Or:

IF
    True()
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ActionOverride(LastSummonerOf(Myself),OriginalClass(FIGHTER))
    DestroySelf()
END

?

There's a ChangeClass action... I suppose that can only affect the .CRE at offset 0x0273 (class)? Am I correct in that, since OriginalClass is a trigger but not an action, there's no way to SET it?

Boooooooooooo... :(

there's no way to SET it?

Yep.

I wonder if it would be possible to add something like this to TobEx...? I mean, there's already a script action to toggle fallen ranger status, and that's just one bit away.

Where's Ascension64 when we need him?

Hmm, I tried making a half-elf fighter/thief multiclass in a bog-standard fresh install of BGEE, leveled up to 3/3, then opened the savegame in NI, opened the Baldur.gam in the save, edited the *harbase.cre and switched on the "original class: fighter" flag *and* changed the race to human... I started playing the savegame, there was my human F/T, but it kept advancing as a MC when I leveled up, it didn't switch to DC.

So maybe this doesn't even work. Did I edit the right file? I distinctly remember switching Jsheira to a DC F>D in a savegame, I don't remember whether I used NI or ShadowKeeper though...

Archived