A few questions regarding EET

Hello! I'm an old SHS user who made last mega mod attempt with BWS a few years ago. Today, since I was feeling nostalgic for the good old days of RPG madness, I have bought steam version of both BG and BG2 EE, and came across this EE-Mod-Setup-Master tool with which I'm attempting the new megamod install.

I did these steps:

1) clean install of both BG and SoA (in C:\steamapps located outside program files's folder so I have full access)

2) started a new character and made a savegame for BG, BG2 and SOA

3) unzipped Mod Merge inside BGEE folder and loaded it. It made its things without any error message.

4) I ran Mod tool updater first and then the problems start.

Problems:

1) Does the mod tool (and mods) work with 2.5 beta version or do I have to use 2.3 version?

2) How does the collection files work exactly? I have run the mod tool but it doesn't show a menu where I can select a collection (despite the readme inside the tool says there should be one), it just displays the list of mods I have to choose from and that's it. Did I do something wrong?

edit: I've solved this by myself, didn't notice I could click on options (/facepalm).

3) This is related to the previous one. I remember that BWS used to let you choose between several kind of megamods (green safe one, orange tactics one, red experimental, etc.). Is this present also with the new tool?

edit: solved this too, apparently I'm blind (double /facepalm).

Since my first attempt failed miserably, with a plethora of order issue/duplicated entries/incompatibility between single mods that I wasn't able to fix because I wasn't sure which option to choose, do you have any advice on how should I proceed? That would be very appreciated....

Edited by LewsTherin

Does the BG1EE that you bought from steam come with the Siege of the Dragonspear "DLC" expansion? The modmerger is used to decompress the data from that into the games own folder ... so to speak. Which the EET needs...

1) clean install of both BG and SoA (in C:\steamapps located outside program files's folder so I have full access)

Which OS are you under on ? If it's Win10, then this doesn't hold true, cause the entire C drive is write only permission for any user by default under the Win10. Well, unless you make the user gain private access to a folders permission which is a thing you can do, but hardly worth the effort... as you can use the C:/Users/<username>/Games/ -subfolders to install all old style(which includes BG games) to and have a full permission to edit. Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Hi Jarno Mikkola, I remember you from SHS (I used the nick Gaspare there), you are always ready to help people, I really appreciate that :D

Yeah I got the full package BGEE + SoD. I have a "sod-dlc" folder inside BGEE folder with all the bifs. I've run modmerge and it created a backup of chitin.key.

Regarding edit permissions, my steamapps folder, which I created outside C:\program files, has already all permissions activated by default (including write and modify), so I guess I shouldn't need anything else in order to get a proper install and yeah, I'm under win10 pro, and I didn't really have any previous issue with modding games (I used to have a 50+ gb Fallout NV with 100+ mods and actually I have an heavily civ 5 modded install too).

I'll try what you are saying if I encounter any issue, but it could be difficult because steam games cannot be installed outside steamapps folder, and I can have just one steamapp folder in a single drive...

Edited by LewsTherin

I'm a bit confused. Haven't still tried to make a megamod install due to lack of time basically, and now I read that BGEE2 latest update to 2.5 makes EET not fully working due to SoD and BGEE not being still updated toi 2.5 too.

Questions are, are there other mods besides SoD and BGEE that need to be updated because they might not be fully compatible with update 2.5? Did I choose, as usual, the wrong time to try a megamod install from scratch?

I wanted to start doing that tomorrow, but I guess it's better to wait BGEE and SoD to be updated to 2.5 before beginning the process, isn't it?

Your best bet is to wait for the EET itself to get an update... that and then the BWS, as that's sure to follow.

Yes, it could be a day, a month a year... no delusions here, I have been waiting ... 10 years to make my final megamod install and will be waiting a long time until ...