Overview

Icendoan

This mod makes it possible, as the name suggests, to keep Yoshimo.

It aims to expand Yoshimo's character and restore some of the cut content that was clearly missing.

He now stays with the party after spellhold and can be imported into ToB, as well as being summoned by the Fate Spirit. He has a couple of fairly lengthy dialogues with the PC.

We plan to add a SoA encounter and a ToB quest.

All technical issues, such as Lvl1NPCs compatibility has been fixed due to the bigg, most dialogue goes to Lemernis and the code goes to me. :)

Have fun,

Icen

Edited by Icendoan

I haven't spoken with Icen in years, but based on our last communications (that neither of us had time to devote to the project any longer) I think it is safe to say that there won't be any further development of this mod. At one point we had thought to perhaps add a SoA encounter and ToB quest. But we ran out of steam and other demands in life took precedence, for us each, respectively.

As long as this mod runs stably, I would call it finished. Or as finished as it's ever going to get, lol. If anyone wants to adopt Keeping Yoshimo and improve or expand upon it, we can talk.

Now with BG:EE and BG2:EE I'm not sure what this mod's fate will be. I would imagine that all current BG series mods will need to be made compatible with EE's enhanced Infinity engine. I'm just this mod's story and dialog guy. I'm not a coder.

Edited by Lemernis

Icendoan has indeed vanished, though good to see you're still around Lemernis. You have obviously come around to The Fold. BG modding is more Zen than NWN virtual worlds :). But I think if you come up with any content to add, you can probably phrase it in such a way that you can get modding help to add it. Particularly what with the upsurge of interest with BGEE and whatnot. (I'm still miffed that that Tamoko mod never took off... I had items and kits and spells to go and everything!)

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that insofar as this is a BG2 mod, I don't know what any "conversion" to an "enhanced" BG2 would require, if anything. Quite different from BG1 mods that do require conversion to the BG2 engine.

Thanks Miloch! You've made me feel very welcome. :)

*palm to forehead* re: EE conversion. Right-o. Been out of the swing of this stuff for four years.

Okay, well, I may eventually try to get my feet wet with DLTCEP to fiddle with KY's dialogs and perhaps take another look at this mod's big battle. But I think it is safe to say there will be no new content for Keeping Yoshimo. As it stands, the mod does allow the player to experience what its like to keep Yoshimo to the end of ToB. I think the plot addition and writing to achieve that are at least passable, particularly given that nothing could be written to please everyone. Provided that KY runs bug-free, the mod's main objectives have been achieved. There just won't be any icing on the cake.

From here on out, If I'm able to make the time to do any modding (and I really hope I do), it would likely be a brand new NPC mod.

Edited by Lemernis

KY is an unfortunate abbreviation for a mod :O.

I think you should take over the Tamoko mod next :). There's some thread buried here where someone supposedly did quite a bit with it and then disappeared. So it probably would be a brand-new mod. At least I could contribute the items though. I think it involved a quest from a Shou Lungian philosopher/gunpowder expert to craft a firestick for her with raw materials (sulpher, charcoal, saltpeter, which would probably be in various caves etc.).

In the interest of actually getting the thing completed I think it would have to be a relatively short and sweet quest mod:

• Tamoko sends you to the Shou Lungian alchemist wizard (located somewhere in the city of Baldur's Gate, presumably)
  • receive the sub-quest from the wizard to assemble the item's components
  • gather components salted in existing areas throughout the game (such as the flesh golem cave, in Narcillicus Harwilliger Neen's inventory, etc; but at least one component should pose quite a challenge to obtain; an astute player will already have some of them by then; some should be placed in as-yet explored areas)
  • deliver components to wizard, who crafts the firestick with them (Herbs and Potions Add-ins handled this sort of thing nicely)
  • deliver crafted item to Tamoko and receive XP and gold - or not, i.e., choose to keep item versus collecting XP/gold (firestick sellable then to Sorcerous Sundries and/or Temple of Gond store for more money? or a nice store item trade? trade for some other new (custom) item held on 'reserve' that is even more valuable--means creating a new item for the mod, though)

And some references that tie into the FR canon for Tamoko would add some extra texture. That'd be fun.

I don't currently have the games installed. After I install BG:EE next month, I'll see if the modding bug grabs me. If so, I'll start roughing out a storyboard, write some dialog sketches, and so forth.

Edited by Lemernis
content

That is pretty much what I had in mind, at least for a BG1 spin-off of what would otherwise be a BG2 NPC mod (for a BG1 character). There are some other things to consider for a potential BG(EE) mod though:

• Tamoko had a suboptimal prototype which was broken, destroyed, appropriated by Sarevok etc. She used to "shoot" the PC at the very beginning (may have appeared to be a Magic Stone or Flame Arrow, but was actually a crude firearm something like a smaller huo qiang).
  • She has heard tell of an alchemist who can craft or recraft a better one that won't break. Perhaps she even has the actual huo qiang launcher, but it's the proper gunpowder formula that's the issue (hence a quest for proper ammo).
  • Depending on how the PC acts, she might actually use this against the PC in the final battle (the PC may be motivated to supply her with it against Sarevok but she won't betray him of course).
  • Despite this, there may be sufficient reward for the PC to hand it over to her. The ammo may be unusable on its own, and only if the PC gives over the proper formula will she give him a huo qiang of his own or tell him how to craft one or where to find one (possibly from the same alchemist, who won't make one otherwise).

Implementing the new items should not be difficult, nor placing them in existing caves etc. (even randomly). In fact, we could even put a new cave for the challenging component, make it difficult to find, heavily guarded etc. If TotSC is detected (almost always is nowadays) some of the components could also be on Balduran's or Ice Island, buried in Durlag's Labyrinth, etc. heheh.

So the dialogue for this would be pretty minimal as well, mainly just banter between the party and the alchemist, and also some extra bits for interaction with Tamoko. Maybe a few existing and new characters could drop hints or thwart the party, nothing too complicated. Pretty simple, as opposed to NPC mods which always seem to take ages and only a few actually get finished :(.

Edited by Miloch

This mod makes it possible, as the name suggests, to keep Yoshimo.

It aims to expand Yoshimo's character and restore some of the cut content that was clearly missing.

He now stays with the party after spellhold and can be imported into ToB, as well as being summoned by the Fate Spirit. He has a couple of fairly lengthy dialogues with the PC.

We plan to add a SoA encounter and a ToB quest.

All technical issues, such as Lvl1NPCs compatibility has been fixed due to the bigg, most dialogue goes to Lemernis and the code goes to me. :)

Have fun,

Icen

Hello. I would like to know if the mod has been discontinued.

Best wishes, zel.

Keeping Yoshimo is basically as finished as its going to get. But that said what is offers is plenty. We are moving (glacially) toward releasing it as finished. I've just been too busy IRL to playtest it, coming back to it now after quite a number of years.

I would actually appreciate it very much if you can have a go with it and confirm that it all seems to be working properly.

To install the mod follow the directions in this thread.

Summary: Basically, you download this file:

_Yoshi.zip

And to install: simply rename a WeiDU.exe to Setup-#!Yoshi.exe and run it in your BG2 directory after extracting the attached files there.