iOS/Android touch input

SyntaxError

Im starting this thread to try and get a list of all the bugs with touch input so that I can fix them. I only have a simulator for testing so often bugs only appear on a real device (mostly due to simultanious touch/release on simulator and the fact im limited to 2 fingers)

Touch input guide

Please download the latest build for your device before reporting
latest build for android (sorry no buildbot so no direct link)
latest build for iOS

So far i know the following:

• formation rotation gesture is broken fixed in v0.8.0-87
  • character portraits must be double tapped to select
  • character portrait dragging is highly unreliable
  • sometimes (rarely) textarea scrolling becomes buggy (if anybody knows how to consistently replicate this it would help get it fixed)
  • selection rect appears when scrolling viewport if viewport was not in focus before the event fixed in v0.8.0-24
  • scrolling the viewport with characters selected will trigger action upon ending gesture fixed in v0.8.0-25
  • right click is unreliable (due to minute finger motion) fixed in v0.8.0-57
  • viewport scrolling doesnt work if a button has focus fixed in v0.8.0-57
  • repeat buttons (+/-) get stuck and events can get dispatched to the previously focused button fixed in v0.8.0-57

Greetings,

I'm not sure this is specifically a bug but I can't seem to travel anywhere on the world map. I can scroll around and what not but no matter how many times I try to click on any area to travel there it won't do it. It instead just bounces the map back to where my party presently is on the world map or exits the world map altogether.

Is there something special I need to do click on an area to travel? When I hold for a right click the area pic sometimes turns red but nothing happens after (takes a few tries as its hard to click the exact right spot I guess).

Also, not having a cursor or seemingly anyway to know where an area transition spot is can be a bit tricky to see where they

Not sure if it's possible to have them highlight along with items on the ground or something, just a thought, dunno what you guys are able to pull off.

I'm on the latest version for android.

Great work so far!

had to tweak the formation rotation gesture to get it to work well with viewport scrolling. I updated the wiki to reflect the small change.

basically now you have to touch and hold (like right click) to get a pivot point, then touch and drag your second finger to manipulate the pivot angle.

Greetings,

I'm not sure this is specifically a bug but I can't seem to travel anywhere on the world map. I can scroll around and what not but no matter how many times I try to click on any area to travel there it won't do it. It instead just bounces the map back to where my party presently is on the world map or exits the world map altogether.

Is there something special I need to do click on an area to travel? When I hold for a right click the area pic sometimes turns red but nothing happens after (takes a few tries as its hard to click the exact right spot I guess).

Also, not having a cursor or seemingly anyway to know where an area transition spot is can be a bit tricky to see where they

Not sure if it's possible to have them highlight along with items on the ground or something, just a thought, dunno what you guys are able to pull off.

I'm on the latest version for android.

Great work so far!

Same problem here - it seems that the world map even though it seems to scrol the click event gets the coordinates as the map wasn't actually scrolling at all - for example i choose location outside but clicking it does nothing. However sometimes it manages to take me to the other district of Athkatla.

I cant reproduce any travel issues, but i still only have the simulator to test.

on the plus side cursors are back (tho there are still some bugs that wont be fixed until we get a new renderer)

To be honest I'm not sure we ever released an updated android build after the last batch of touch fixes. Ill bug somebody about it tomorrow.

Hi, I have problem with keyboard - it won't come up when I make "3 fingers up" gesture...

I have Asus Transformer TF101, using latest gemrb (GemRB-0.8.0-git-29f79da4.apk) and Cyanogenmod 9.1 (Android 4.0.4).

Is there something I'm missing here? In config I've uncommented the NumFingScroll = 2 and NumFingKboard = 3 in config, yet still no change...

Thanks in advance :)

try the latest android build just to be sure the bug still occurs

Yes the bug still occurs.

Hovewer I have managed travel two or three times to a distant direction on the world map by randomlu scrolling and clicking - don' t know how to reproduce it, pure luck I guess. Anywany most of the time it's still impossible to get anywhere else on the world map except for the Athkatla (BG2). For example clicking on de'Arnise Castle takes me to one of the districts in Athkatla

Hi, I have problem with keyboard - it won't come up when I make "3 fingers up" gesture...

I have Asus Transformer TF101, using latest gemrb (GemRB-0.8.0-git-29f79da4.apk) and Cyanogenmod 9.1 (Android 4.0.4).

Is there something I'm missing here? In config I've uncommented the NumFingScroll = 2 and NumFingKboard = 3 in config, yet still no change...

Thanks in advance :)

I can't confirm this, three finger scroll brings up the keyboard just fine on my Nexus 7.

As for your config, the commented values are default values (at least for NumFingScroll and NumFingKboard) so uncommenting them doesn't change any settings.

Add.: Do you have the dock for the TF101 and is it connected and paired? I can't get a softkeyboard when I have a bluetooth keyboard paired.

try the latest android build just to be sure the bug still occurs

Yes the bug still occurs.

Hovewer I have managed travel two or three times to a distant direction on the world map by randomlu scrolling and clicking - don' t know how to reproduce it, pure luck I guess. Anywany most of the time it's still impossible to get anywhere else on the world map except for the Athkatla (BG2). For example clicking on de'Arnise Castle takes me to one of the districts in Athkatla

The world map definitely behaves a bit wonky. The behavior I'm seeing (in BG1) is the world map resetting to the current area when I try to fast-travel somewhere I've not been before. As in, after the mentor dying and walking via zone transitions to the Friendly Arms Inn I can't fast-travel to Nashkel. I'm not sure this is the same behavior you are seeing though.

Ok, nevermind. I figured where the problem was.

I followed "Instructions for users" when installing. After installing the apk I overwritten GUIScripts and override directories. When I installed once more, and simply edited config, it works great. So maybe some update of "Instructions" would help newbies.

Other than that, thanks a lot for gemrb. It's awesome, although with mouse emulation it was also possible to play on smaller screens (phones). With direct touch controls I'm unable to precisely click on dialog options. Bringing up the keyboard every time is tiresome...

rootko: use a larger font to make selecting dialog easier. Ive been thinking of how we could insert some numbered buttons to the top of the message window, but other than that i dont know how to make it better for touchscreen users.

I'll try to find an android dev to look at the world map issue. no doubt it is in fact a touch bug and not a bug with the map itself (probably why i cant reproduce in simulator).

Edit:

although with mouse emulation it was also possible to play on smaller screens

we support actual mice on android (yes the cursors are back now tho they can be buggy)

what was mouse emulation before? using phone buttons to move the cursor? thats pretty trivial to add just request it.

what was mouse emulation before? using phone buttons to move the cursor? thats pretty trivial to add just request it.

Hey guys, I can say that the mouse input for android devices from pre 0.8 was more akin to a touchpad on a laptop. Meaning touching and holding on the screen moved the cursor around and tapping simulated a mouse click. You could also configure some of the buttons on your device to simulate a mouse click (volume keys).

This kind of input likely wouldn't work with the current version though with multi finger input or would be a step back from the direction you're trying to go. Regrettably most devices these days don't have a d-pad anymore so can't control the mouse via that method.

I'll say that I found the touch pad method fairly effective at controlling things though.

I'm not a programmer so I'm unsure what is feasible but something that might work better for touch input devices is a few on screen buttons that that could be configured manually to mimic keyboard strokes (space for pause, mouse clicks, etc.). Maybe an on screen joystick to control mouse or if you can set it so that a single finger on screen moves cursor.

Anyway, just food for thought I suppose.

Great job on everything!

Archived