Requests for BG1 *contains SPOILERS*

berelinde

I put this under 'requests' because it's a more of matter of an opinion than a bug.

I noticed that volume of your audio clips might be a bit loud. I can't say for sure since I didn't have a chance to actually try him on the actual game (yet). But at least in BG2, if you normalise your voice clips to 0 dBu they are typically too loud when compared to Bioware ones. We used about -6 dBu for Amber, but what's good depends a bit on the character in question. If you still have the unogged wav files it's really easy to use the 'amplify' feature in Audacity (for example) to set things right.

In addition, while music can be in stereo, you can set the sample rate to 22050 Hz and bit depth to 16, just like in the voice clips. It'll shave couple extra kb off from your download.

And yes, I'm aware that I'm nitpicking. :rant:

Here are a few ideas that I think would make an already stellar romance even better.

1) Consolation banter from Gavin on failed romances with other characters

I don't know how this would work with any of the other BG1 NPC project romances as I haven't tried them yet, but my poor half-elf PC got lead down a merry path with Xan only to get told by him that, essentially, a half-elf might as well be no elf at all. If Gavin was attracted to Charname he would probably notice her behaviour being glummer after getting let down, and he's such a sweetie that I can't see him not wanting to console her, tell her that Xan was a fool, that if he had something so precious as her love he would never throw it away, or something like that.

2) Meeting Lanie

I think anyone in their right mind who wants to get involved with a man who has a kid would want to meet the kid. I felt the fact that this option never came up kind of broke the fourth wall, seeing as we were in Beregost a lot.

3) Another visit to the parents after engagement was announced

I went to Ulgoth's beard really early in the game because my characters were levelling up fast enough that I needed more high level spells and I got only really buggy dialogue from the parents, part of which for some reason said they were in Nashkel. It sounded like their dialogue files got crossed with those of some other game NPCs or something. (sorry this is not in the bug reports, but I'm on a roll here)

In any case, Gavin would probably want to stop by and see his parents any time they were in town, if his relationship was as good with them as he says. And if he and Charname first visit before they have a real relationship, and then they are back in town again as lovers, it seems to me Gavin would definitely want to tell them.

4) Meet the brother in the Elfsong.

When Reed mentioned Gavin's brother was in BG, I was hoping we would run into him, but we never did. :D

5) Banter to announce his engagement at the Temple

If Gavin and Charname stop at the Song of the Morning Temple after getting engaged, Gavin should be able to chitchat with his boss and say, "Oh, by the way, we're getting married" or some such.

6) Different congratulations from former romance interests after informal vow exchange.

Again, speaking as someone who has only (so far) experienced the Xan romance, I would think, having romanced the PC and then broken it off, he might have something a little more personal to say about her wedding Gavin, like her being better off married to him as he is slightly less doomed than he himself (Xan) is, or Gavin being a more realistic choice for a half-elf as their life spans aren't as disparate. If it is an elf marrying Gavin, well, Xan could have a whole lot of other choice things to say when it comes to life spans, but that could get complicated.

For that matter, I don't even know how much of a pain in the butt it may be to contact the various character people to secure cooperation for such cross-mod content, but it could be very satisfying if it worked out.

7) Regarding my earlier post of horror, I do hope that the NPCs comment on what happened, because that is a very difficult thing to ignore. Hmm, now I have a morbid fascination to dig up an earlier savegame and see if I can procure the dread result. *cringe* That was so sadistic of you to include, and yet, as a fan fiction writer who can be equally sadistic, I must tip my hat to you in genuine admiration for not pulling any punches.

That's about all I can think of for now.

Great job, and good luck with future versions.;)

Great stuff. I appreciate your suggestions, and will probably include some of them, although not necessarily in version 1.1.

As you say, some of these are going to require the approval of various BG1 NPC people, and I don't want to make a bug-fixed version beta wait until I can write and secure the necessary writer feedback. Fortunately, the three principal romance writers have been extremely supportive, so I'm sure something can be arranged.

Here are a few ideas that I think would make an already stellar romance even better.

1) Consolation banter from Gavin on failed romances with other characters

I don't know how this would work with any of the other BG1 NPC project romances as I haven't tried them yet, but my poor half-elf PC got lead down a merry path with Xan only to get told by him that, essentially, a half-elf might as well be no elf at all. If Gavin was attracted to Charname he would probably notice her behaviour being glummer after getting let down, and he's such a sweetie that I can't see him not wanting to console her, tell her that Xan was a fool, that if he had something so precious as her love he would never throw it away, or something like that.

I can't tell you how much I like this idea. Under these circumstances, he'd want to console her, all right, but if she was good aligned and had a wisdom of 10 or better and a charisma of 12 or better, he'd be willing to try to make her forget all about Xan.

Edit by berelinde: not going to happen, for various reasons

2) Meeting Lanie

I think anyone in their right mind who wants to get involved with a man who has a kid would want to meet the kid. I felt the fact that this option never came up kind of broke the fourth wall, seeing as we were in Beregost a lot.

There's a reason the PC can't meet Lanie in BG1. If there is anyone who doesn't recognize the name, she'll meet her in BG2. If they meet in Beregost, it will ruin their meeting in Athkatla.

I was hoping that the housekeeper's excuse that they were away visiting family would be enough of a reason to postpone that meeting.

You can, in fact, ask Gavin about meeting Lanie, in the last lovetalk, but he will refuse. Lanie doesn't even know the PC exists. She knows her father went away to earn some money. He'd like a chance to talk to her first, to speak with her alone, and tell her about the PC before they meet in person.

Gavin isn't a cruel man. He wouldn't want to surprise his daughter by showing up in front of her and her mother with gorgeous <CHARNAME> on his arm, introducing the pc as her future stepmother. Nor does he want to subject either <CHARNAME> or Miranda to that kind of drama. He'd prefer to tell them outside the presence of <CHARNAME>, separately, if possible, and reassure Lanie that she is still just as important to him. Then, Lanie can meet the PC.

Of course, if you've read ahead to BG2, and the names are familiar, you know that it isn't going to work out that way.

Or, maybe the PC and Gavin need to talk about this more, maybe sometime between the commitment and the big discovery.

Edit by berelinde: CODED, after a fashion

3) Another visit to the parents after engagement was announced

I went to Ulgoth's beard really early in the game because my characters were levelling up fast enough that I needed more high level spells and I got only really buggy dialogue from the parents, part of which for some reason said they were in Nashkel. It sounded like their dialogue files got crossed with those of some other game NPCs or something. (sorry this is not in the bug reports, but I'm on a roll here)

In any case, Gavin would probably want to stop by and see his parents any time they were in town, if his relationship was as good with them as he says. And if he and Charname first visit before they have a real relationship, and then they are back in town again as lovers, it seems to me Gavin would definitely want to tell them.

I'll see what I can do there. Don't know why you're getting a buggy dialogue. I can't imagine what happened there, because I don't think they mention Nashkel.

In any case, I'll see what I can manage. I don't mind writing dialogue that few people will ever see. But I need to see how this pans out. It isn't as if they even have to go to Ulgoth's Beard once.

4) Meet the brother in the Elfsong.

When Reed mentioned Gavin's brother was in BG, I was hoping we would run into him, but we never did. ;)

Maybe. It might be entertaining. Jolun is a real character. But I think I'd make that one optional. Jolun would come over and say hello, but you wouldn't necessarily be treated to the full scope of his antics unless you encouraged him.

If Gavin and Charname stop at the Song of the Morning Temple after getting engaged, Gavin should be able to chitchat with his boss and say, "Oh, by the way, we're getting married" or some such.

Easy enough. Of course, I expect Kelddath's enthusiasm for their match might depend on whether or not Gavin is really comfortable with the Bhaal discovery. There is an interval between LTs 25 and 27 where Gavin would probably not want to talk about it much.

6) Different congratulations from former romance interests after informal vow exchange.

Again, speaking as someone who has only (so far) experienced the Xan romance, I would think, having romanced the PC and then broken it off, he might have something a little more personal to say about her wedding Gavin, like her being better off married to him as he is slightly less doomed than he himself (Xan) is, or Gavin being a more realistic choice for a half-elf as their life spans aren't as disparate. If it is an elf marrying Gavin, well, Xan could have a whole lot of other choice things to say when it comes to life spans, but that could get complicated.

Probably worth looking into. I imagine different NPCs would approach it with varying levels of acceptance. But that's one area where I haven't any idea where to start! I just don't know what they'd say. It would depend on whether or not they would consider the PC a match for themselves, I guess, and possibly the terms under which they parted company. Given the mine-field of inappropriate dialogue possibilities, I'm going to have to give that one a lot of thought before I start putting anything together.

Edit: not going to happen for the same reasons as consolation dialogues

7) Regarding my earlier post of horror, I do hope that the NPCs comment on what happened, because that is a very difficult thing to ignore.

They don't. But you're right. They should. Reactions would range from Xzar's delighted fascination to Alora's puzzled "Whatcha do that for?" with some possible horror from Imoen. I'll see if I can get this on, at least, into version 1.1. It won't require the blessing of any of the other romance writers, so I can move quickly on it.

That was so sadistic of you to include, and yet, as a fan fiction writer who can be equally sadistic, I must tip my hat to you in genuine admiration for not pulling any punches.
On the contrary, you should have seen the original bmp I was going to have converted to the inventory icon. *That* didn't pull any punches.

Edit: NPC reactions CODED

Great stuff. I appreciate your suggestions, and will probably include some of them, although not necessarily in version 1.1.

Well, this has been a fun ride so I'd be happy to test any future versions. ;)

I can't tell you how much I like this idea. Under these circumstances, he'd want to console her, all right, but if she was good aligned and had a wisdom of 10 or better and a charisma of 12 or better, he'd be willing to try to make her forget all about Xan.

Mmm, my sad rebound PC would like that a lot, oh yes!

There's a reason the PC can't meet Lanie in BG1. If there is anyone who doesn't recognize the name, she'll meet her in BG2. If they meet in Beregost, it will ruin their meeting in Athkatla.

Oooh, I'm not sure if I am remembering correctly, but I think I know where you're going with that... Clever! Very clever...

And a good point about the drama, I suppose. It is something I avoid at all costs in real life, although in fiction I can be a little more tolerant. Still, I suspect your way will be much, much better.

Or, maybe the PC and Gavin need to talk about this more, maybe sometime between the commitment and the big discovery.

Actually, yes. The PC could maybe have some PIDs about being concerned about how she will be received as a stepmother, not knowing anything about kids, etc. etc.

I'll see what I can do there. Don't know why you're getting a buggy dialogue. I can't imagine what happened there, because I don't think they mention Nashkel.

Let me see if I still have an earlier savegame before the visit and I'll run back and see if I can take down exactly what was said.

Maybe. It might be entertaining. Jolun is a real character. But I think I'd make that one optional. Jolun would come over and say hello, but you wouldn't necessarily be treated to the full scope of his antics unless you encouraged him.

Considering what happens when I encourage Gavin under the wrong circumstances... Ulp! *quiver*

Easy enough. Of course, I expect Kelddath's enthusiasm for their match might depend on whether or not Gavin is really comfortable with the Bhaal discovery. There is an interval between LTs 25 and 27 where Gavin would probably not want to talk about it much.

Indeed.

Probably worth looking into. I imagine different NPCs would approach it with varying levels of acceptance. But that's one area where I haven't any idea where to start! I just don't know what they'd say. It would depend on whether or not they would consider the PC a match for themselves, I guess, and possibly the terms under which they parted company. Given the mine-field of inappropriate dialogue possibilities, I'm going to have to give that one a lot of thought before I start putting anything together.

*nods* There are plenty of other things to deal with, this, like the rest was just an idea to get your creative wheels a-turning. ;)

7) Regarding my earlier post of horror, I do hope that the NPCs comment on what happened, because that is a very difficult thing to ignore.

They don't. But you're right. They should. Reactions would range from Xzar's delighted fascination to Alora's puzzled "Whatcha do that for?" with some possible horror from Imoen. I'll see if I can get this on, at least, into version 1.1. It won't require the blessing of any of the other romance writers, so I can move quickly on it.

I went back to an earlier savegame and tried it out, and right afterwards Khalid randomly spouted out his Good Reputation approval comment of "Gorion would be proud of your actions!" I think the poor guy had been drinking a little too much ale at that point. :D

That was so sadistic of you to include, and yet, as a fan fiction writer who can be equally sadistic, I must tip my hat to you in genuine admiration for not pulling any punches.
On the contrary, you should have seen the original bmp I was going to have converted to the inventory icon. *That* didn't pull any punches.

We who are about to require decades of therapy salute you! :D

Kudos to Flarn on taking time to point out all those great suggestions! ;)

I certainly hadn't thought of most of them, but I must say I'm rather fond of that "rebounding" idea (no way I would've thought of it, my PC's usually a one-guy girl).

I've a teensy suggestion of my own. I've been leading the party into Cloakwood, and in the second area, we all stumbled upon Centeol in her abode full of spiders. And one of the PC's reponses bothers me. I usually pick the answer that goes something like "Do your worst, there are no arachnophobes here!" and fling myself into battle, but I *did* have an arachnophobe in the party. Gavin.

I know, I'm nit-picking again. I don't exactly know how to work around this, but I was thinking that maybe Gavin could lean over to the PC and say something like "Umm, <CHARNAME>... Aren't you forgetting anyone?...", or maybe you could have a forced "fear" spell cast on him to spice the whole thing up. I don't know, but as a professed arachnophobe (I think I was in that area after LT15 aka "Pick on Gavin 3: Gavin the arachnophobe"), I expect him to react to the whole spider infested area.

Just a thought. :D

Edit by berelinde: CODED

Yeah, I'd thought about that, but at the time, I knew how to interject into dialogue, but not into PC responses.

I could do a different kind of interjection into it, but I know Xan's got a lovely little sequence with Centeol that I didn't want to damage.

*However*, I think Xan's sequence takes place starting from a different point in the dialogue, so I might be all right.

Maybe I'll settle for an area comment for now, and work on the whole thing later.

Not sure about the fear spell. Probably warranted by coming up against all those spiders. He already gets a very significant penalty against spiders, though, so I don't want him to be utterly useless. But, there's always the chance Xan's got protection from fear memorized and hits the party with it first. It isn't as if Gavin's arachnophobia is a secret, and it's entirely reasonable to expect that the party might run up against a couple spiders crawling into a big hole in the ground.

But I don't want to delay the bugfixed version any longer than I have to. I'll put in an area interjection, but the rest of the improvements will have to wait for v 1.2.

Yes, I am sorry about the half-elven path. My original plan was to make Xan romance elves only in BG1(which is implemented in BG2, as I could do whatever I wanted there), but, yes, it is the way it is. The romance with the elven PC is more "complete" in BG1, though, I can say this much.

As for the comment itself, I'm afraid not. When Berelinde and I were writing crossmod content, I thought of making Xan react to Gavin's lies to PC about the child, since Gavin waited quite a bit, making PC fall in love before he confessed. Possibly it could come to a conflict. Or, indeed, Xan could comment on the child possibly being forced from her mother, when I saw something like "I'll take Lanie, I have reasons to believe Miranda wouldn't mind." - "Er, did you ask Miranda?" in Gavin's lovetalk.

- but in the end, we ended up with "neutral" banters, such as Gavin and Xan being aware of each other's interest towards the PC, commenting on the difference in the lifespans, if PC was an elf, or rolling his eyes if she's not "Seldarine, all they do is looking at each other - we are doomed", or Gavin complimenting Xan's devotion to the Bhaalspawn PC or vice versa. Perhaps an open conflict would be more true to Xan's character, but then again, what is the point?

So, no, I definitely wouldn't want this implemented.

I think he'll be rather upset if (elven or not) PC married Gavin, since to him, Gavin has already failed one family and is well on the way to fail another. But then again, I think he would refrain from such personal comments, because it is not his business. So I'd prefer to leave it as it is.

Yes, I am sorry about the half-elven path. My original plan was to make Xan romance elves only in BG1(which is implemented in BG2, as I could do whatever I wanted there), but, yes, it is the way it is. The romance with the elven PC is more "complete" in BG1, though, I can say this much.

As for the comment itself, I'm afraid not. When Berelinde and I were writing crossmod content, I thought of making Xan react to Gavin's lies to PC about the child, since Gavin waited quite a bit, making PC fall in love before he confessed. Possibly it could come to a conflict. Or, indeed, Xan could comment on the child possibly being forced from her mother, when I saw something like "I'll take Lanie, I have reasons to believe Miranda wouldn't mind." - "Er, did you ask Miranda?" in Gavin's lovetalk.

I took that part out before version 1, at your suggestion. It was quite callous, and not in character for either of them. Now it's quite different.

"It is probably nothing more than wishful thinking. I can't imagine that Miranda will want to be parted from her any more than I do. I have faith that we will be able to reach an agreement, but I'm always going to want to have Lanie with me."

There is no talk of forcing children away from mothers anymore, but there is talk of the need for further discussion.

I was opposed to Xan accusing Gavin of forcibly kidnapping his own child (well, it gets complicated, but that's what Lanie thinks), but I don't have a problem with Xan commenting on the length of time it takes Gavin to make a confession. The only cross-mod subject that's off limits from my end is Gavin's right to be a father to Lanie. His reluctance to come clean with the PC is fair game. In fact, I'd really like that. I was looking for more conflict stuff for Xan, but there wasn't much for them to argue about. If you'd like to go ahead with that, let's switch to PM and talk about it. Too bad I can't have IM at work. ;)

And if you think Xan should comment on an elven PC about to marry Gavin, or in the process of marrying him, or just married to him, I'd certainly welcome it. I wouldn't write it, because it wouldn't be my place, but if you want to, I'd love to include it. Provided I get to write Gavin's reaction. Again, let's talk. Version 1.1 is done, and it really is too late to add new material for that, but there is version 1.2. Hopefully, by then, I'll have figured out a way to do the wedding scene (I have cutscene-a-phobia and spell-a-phobia), so if Xan's comments sink in, the pc would even have a chance to back out of the wedding at the last minute, maybe into Xan's welcoming arms... Oh, this could be fun! Again, let's talk about this. The mod should be entertaining to play. This does not mean that Gavin always has to get the girl.

I think Xan's current comment on their wedding you've written is fine from my end.

Switching romances... hmm, I might be mistaken, but I think it is possible as it is:

- PC can immediately choose Gavin after dumping Xan by friend-flirting with Gavin(and him reacting and possibly starting the romance, if she's a good match), or she can ask Gavin outright;

- and if she wants to switch Gavin for Xan, there's CutByOther Variable: if she chose Gavin and Xan's romance was cut, she can tell Gavin "no" and then approach Xan.

(Same with Coran, Ajantis, etc.)

What I imagine we could do is(as we did with the last two talks "Xan's reaction on Gavin with PC the Bhaalspawn/Gavin's reaction on Xan with PC the Bhaalspawn") write a pair "Gavin chides Xan for forsaking a half-elven PC/Xan chides Gavin for withholding the information about Lanie from the PC" - or at least give it a try. And, yep, here I'll retreat to PMs.

I must leave for work now, but let's keep talking by PM. This could really work well ;)

Edit: This situation illustrates why these comments are so helpful. Please, continue with the suggestions!

Galteran's dialogue (Gavin's old house) needs to be tweaked. Gavin must comment regardless of party reputation, so I've got to add a state to Galteran's dialogue which will fire if Gavin is in the party.

Archived