Future tweak ideas - post 'em here

Toying... you mean you want to reinvent the same wheel that's there already, as Spell Revision or what not has the same feature, except that they just disable attacking during Time Stop.

which mod do you have in mind? because I have Spell Revision (v4 Beta 15) installed and it doesn't really do that

Ouh, sorry, I don't remember the exact mod... but even the SCS ... has this under the hood:

DMWWNoTimestopMelee - set to 1 if you want to prevent enemy fighter-mages from attacking during Timestop spells (this mostly affects Irenicus in Hell). Set to 2 if you additionally want to prevent (the SCS version of) Melissan attacking during Timestops. (This will also prevent Melissan attacking during *your* timestops, and is pretty exploitable.)

It's from the fact that one mod sets the melee attack rate to zero to all effected targets.

still, if it can be done - to make attacking possible but ineffective, that would be a better-looking tweak.

I think it can be done, by setting all resistances to 100% for the duration, and maybe prevent a bunch of other effects like instant death. But like I said, it's just an idea I am considering. I have no idea yet if it will be practical or even feasible.

Edited by Angel

Hello, I would like to suggest a few tweaks for store pricing:

1. Disable stealing at fences

This prevents the steal-and-sell exploit with a natural (at least to me) logic: shouldn't the fence be extremely careful when dealing with people who sell stolen stuff?

2. Set depreciation to zero for all stores

I wish to relief myself from this stupid chore: (before getting bag of holding) filling a character's inventory with 16 identical items and sell them in one transaction to avoid depreciation. And unfortunately, this trick only work once for a given item and a given store. The extra money gained through this tweak can be partially balanced by the tweak below.

It only takes 3 lines:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.sto$~ ~override~
    WRITE_SHORT 0x001c 0x0000
BUT_ONLY

3. Standardize buying markup for all stores

Most stores in BG2 have buying markup around 25. Ribald's special stash (RIBALD3.STO) has an exceptional high buying markup of 55, which "compels" me to sell everything to him when possible. With this tweak players like me no longer need to bother choosing which store to dump their trash. For balance purpose, I'd suggest 25 for all regular stores, 15 for all fences, and unchanged values for special stores like Officer Vai. Customizable values during installation are welcome!

And another tweak inspired by this tweak. Buying markup of special stores like Officer Vai are standardized to 25 as well, but value of special items like winter wolf pelts, bandit scalps, wyvern heads, etc. are tuned up accordingly so that all merchants buy them at proper prices. In this way players can always sell these valuable trophies regardless progress of the game/plot.

Edited by mercurier

3. Standardize buying markup for all stores

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
BEGIN ~The Imps store price rule and item stack amounts~ DESIGNATED 2

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.sto~ ~override~
READ_LONG 0x14 ~price~
PATCH_IF !(price = 0) BEGIN
WRITE_LONG 0x14 ~150~ //we set all the stores that actually sell stuff to sell them at the same rates
WRITE_LONG 0x18 ~50~ //and buy them at a same rates too, this way if you use 3000 gold, you get a 1000 back when selling
END
PATCH_IF (price = 0) BEGIN
WRITE_SHORT 0x22 ~32000~ //bags etc to contains almost unlimited, but not the borged amounts of items
END
BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.itm~ ~override~
READ_SHORT 0x38 ~stackamount~
PATCH_IF (stackamount > 1) BEGIN
WRITE_SHORT 0x38 ~1000~
END
BUT_ONLY

Just change the 150 and 50 to what ever you wish...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Jarno, thanks for sharing. Looks like we are going to gather all the required code pieces soon :p

The reason I'm posting these ideas here is that I consider them too trivial for a standalone mod for releasing. If I make a "private" mod, then it will be somewhat tricky to make the BWP installer "recognize" it and use it during automatic megamod installations. According to my experience, for BWP16 there are three files to be customized. And such customization needs to be repeated (possibly in a different manner) for each BWP update.

If Tweak Anthology would kindly implement these proposals, such issue can be fixed for good.

The BWS & BWP could be just ran and after that you could just install your own mod if you wanted, manually. But that's another matter.

I actually will be using the second line in the mod from here on out. Which reminds me... I'll put a file size check on the .itm edit.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Idea : make the card game against Aesgareth fair (I mean something close to randomness).

In 3rd round, he always draws the card "Wheel" and win...

IIRC the deck itself (if you acquire the item) is 'stacked against you' :p. You can't draw the best cards unless you have previously made a "bad" draw. I've always thought this was a stupid nerf (presumably added for "balance") that went against the randomness and luck-of-the-draw nature that is the deck's essence. I'm not sure either (or even both) of these warrant a new tweak component, tho. A global un-nerfing tweak would be awesome, but it would be quite a bit of work and there would never be a consensus on what should be included.

Edited by Sam.

Idea : make the card game against Aesgareth fair (I mean something close to randomness).

IIRC the deck itself (if you acquire the item) is 'stacked against you' :p. You can't draw the best cards unless you have previously made a "bad" draw. I've always thought this was a stupid nerf (presumably added for "balance") that went against the randomness and luck-of-the-draw nature that is the deck's essence. I'm not sure either (or even both) of these warrant a new tweak component, tho. A global un-nerfing tweak would be awesome, but it would be quite a bit of work and there would never be a consensus on what should be included.

I have not mentioned that I am pretty sure that I won (at least) once (in BG2 not EE). But, due to his nature, I can understand that Aesgareth cheats...

I've just hoped that making this more random was simple, if it's not the case, I can live with it ;)

BTW, I tried to read the DLG and I have not seen where the "random" are :)

I know it isn't exactly what you want, but in case you are not aware of it, this mod has a "Always win against Aesgareth" component.

Indeed, this is not what I was looking for, but I didn't know this mod (always interested by discovering new mod :) )

The way the IE games are now (at least the original Baldur's Gate) show temporary changes to the six main abilities with a red number, both negative and positive.

I suggest to change to green color for positive.

Would it be possible?

Edited by Salk