Dark Druid mod

Azadriel

Greetings all!

I'm working on my first mod now; a mod that aims to change the druid into a somewhat darker character. I've tried to change the way shapeshifting functions (and the role it plays in combat), and added some spells to reflect the darker nature. I am aiming at making a highly versatile druid, that can step into almost any role; he becomes something of a "jack-of-all-trades, master of some". The result is a druid that is (intentionally) somewhat more powerful than the average druid -but hopefully not overpowered (nor underpowered, either).

I say hopefully, because I am lacking in knowledge about how to scale the class while still remaining balanced. For all I know, the class could be horribly broken. :p

Lastly, I apologize for any language mistakes. English is not my first language, so any corrections are appreciated. In general any and all feedback from you are more than welcome!

Dark Druid: The Dark Druid consider death as a natural part of life. Death magic (or any other study involving death) is not the opposite of nature; rather, it is just another side of mother nature; a side that few living beings understand. The Dark Druid seek knowledge about this darker side, and thus has a strong connection to the dead, as well as departed spirits of the forest. This connection can be used to reanimate spiritual animals from the realm of the dead, or manifest the undead in the flesh to serve as loyal retainers.

The Dark druid does have a 'wider' interpretation of concepts such as: "Natural", "animal", "society" and "life". To him, humans are nothing more than animals living in their own habitats. There is little to no difference between human society, and that of a pack of wolves. Naturally, this makes relations between the Dark Druids, and other druids, somewhat strained.

ADVANTAGES

- Can shapeshift into the following forms at will:

Snake (anti-mage)

Rat (scout)

Spider (damage)

Ooze (regenerate/tank)

- The following spells are added to the Dark Druids' spellbook:

1st level: Find familiar

2nd level: Melf's Acid Arrow

3rd level: Animate Dead

4th level: Contagion

5th level: Shadow door

6th level: Breach

- May ressurrect a spirit animal to fight at his side, once per day for every 5 levels (starts at first level with one use).

DISADVANTAGES:

- No other shapeshifting abilities.

- Does not gain poison immunity or elemental resistances at higher levels.

- Can only wear leather (non-studded) armour.~

DETAILS:

SPIDER FORM

The spider is a powerful creature, capable of overpowering foes with a hail of blows -each of them lethally poisonous.

Base : Permanent free action // targets hit are poisoned.

Lvl 1: 1d6dm, +1STR/DEX, +1 attacks per round, +1 THAC0, poison target on hit; 1 damage every sec for 6 seconds, claws considered normal weapons

Lvl 6: 1d8dm, +2STR/DEX, +1 1/2 attacks per round, +1 THAC0, poison target on hit; 1 damage every sec for 9 seconds, claws considered +1 weapons

Lvl 11: 2d6dm, +3STR/DEX, +2 attacks per round, +2 THAC0, poison target on hit; 1 damage every sec for 12 seconds, claws considered +2 weapons.

Lvl 16: 2d8dm, +4STR/DEX, +2 1/2 attacks per round, +3 THAC0, poison target on hit; 1 damage every sec for 15 seconds, claws considered +3 weapons.

Lvl 21: 2d8dm, +4STR/DEX, +3 attacks per round, +3 THAC0, poison target on hit; 1 damage every sec for 18 seconds, claws considered +4 weapons.

RAT FORM

The rat makes for an excellent scout due to its small size and rapid movement speed.

Base:

STR 7 / DEX 9 / CON 10

Immunity to disease // Max HP set to 50% // 1d2 damage (non-magical)

Can cast invisibility on himself (1x per transformation)

Lvl 1: +1 movement rate.

Lvl 6: +2 movement rate.

Lvl 9: +3 movement rate.

Lvl 12: +4 movement rate, non-detection.

Lvl 15: +5 movement rate, non-detection.

OOZE FORM

The ooze is a tough thing to kill, and thus are favoured when the druid have to withstand heavy blows.

Base: Immunity to normal weapons

Lvl 1: 1d2 dm, + 5% physical resistance, 10% resistance to fire, cold & acid, regenerate 1 HP every 10 sec, +10% HP, +2 bonus to AC.

Lvl 6: 1d3 dm, +10% physical resistance, 15% resistance to fire, cold & acid, regenerate 1 HP every 6 sec, +15% HP, +2 bonus to AC.

Lvl 11: 1d4 dm, +10% physical resistance, 20% resistance to fire, cold & acid, regenerate 1 HP every 3 sec, +20% HP, +3 bonus to AC.

Lvl 16: 1d5 dm, +15% physical resistance, 30% resistance to fire, cold & acid, regenerate 1 HP every 1 sec, +25% HP, +3 bonus to AC.

Lvl 21: 1d6 dm, +15% physical resistance, 40% resistance to fire, cold & acid, regenerate 2 HP every 1 sec, +30% HP, +4 bonus to AC.

SNAKE FORM

The venomous snake is particulary deadly against spellcasters, as its poison is slowing the mind; thus those bitten find it increasingly difficult to cast even the simplest of spells!

Base: Immunity to poison

Lvl 1: 1d4dm, +1 DEX, 20% magic resistance, 5% miscast per hit, bite considered +1 weapon for determining what it can hit (no damage/hit bonus).

Lvl 6: 1d6dm, +1 DEX, 25% magic resistance, 5% miscast per hit. bite considered +2 weapon for determining what it can hit (no damage/hit bonus).

Lvl 11: 1d8dm, +2 DEX, 30% magic resistance, 10% miscast per hit, bite considered +3 weapon for determining what it can hit (no damage/hit bonus), + 1/2 attacks per round.

Lvl 16: 2d4dm, +2 DEX, 35% magic resistance, 10% miscast per hit, bite considered +4 weapon for determining what it can hit (no damage/hit bonus), + 1/2 attacks per round.

Lvl 21: 2d6dm, +3 DEX, 40% magic resistance, 15% miscast per hit, bite considered +5 weapon for determining what it can hit (no damage/hit bonus), +1 attacks per round, drains -1 CON (for 2min) on each hit.

RAT FORM

The rat makes for an excellent scout due to its small size and heightened reflexes.

Base:

... DEX 9

More like rapid movement speed, not reflexes, unless you go and give it save bonuses vs. Breath spells. The speed bonus +1 is not that large, so you might want to stretch that amount and add a few bonuses to the levels, say;

Lvl 1: +1 movement rate.

Lvl 3: +2 movement rate.

Lvl 6: +3 movement rate.

Lvl 9: +4 movement rate.

Lvl 12: +5 movement rate, non-detection.

Lvl 15: +6 movement rate, non-detection.

Now the slimes DEX +1 is a no no... it's better to give the druid a +25% - +50% damage resistance bonus to a few damage sorts.

While the Snake form might get the DEX bonus. Ouh, and mention that the spider and snakes +x to attacks is attacks per round...

Thank you for the feedback. I've updated the movement speed of the ratform, and added the DEX bonus to the snakeform. To compensate, I added resistances & bonus HP to the oozeform. Lightning resist was left out, as oozes are somewhat conductive (I know little about D&D lore, so it's just an assumption).

Archived