[OS X] Assertion Failed error after running Debugging Suite

ericp07

Hello,

Today I ran the suite for the first time in my multi-mod BGII set-up. It appeared to identify and fix errors in every file it checked, but one of the components was unable to run (sorry, don't recall which). After that, I loaded a test game I'd started previously. The party is in Chateau Irenicus, in the room with all the gear and the golem, adjoining the room in which the game starts. They opened the door where there's a narrow hallway with a mephit that attacks the party. As soon as any character attacks the mephit, I get a CTD with "An Assertion Failed in ChVidImage.cpp at Line number 1921. Programmer says: .BAM is corrupted (GetFrame() failed)". Every time I load the game and repeat the action, the same result occurs. At first, I thought it was due to a custom item the protagonist has, but once it was Jaheira who attacked first (with Belm, a game item), so it appears not to matter who attacks, or with what.

Can anyone help to solve this? I've never seen this particular error before. All installed mods are updated to WeiDU 204. As of now, the game is unplayable.

Thanks,

Eric

The debugging suite doesn't actually do anything (it reports common errors, but doesn't actually modify any files). Unless you're positive you need it, there's no reason at all to run it.

Make sure you have sprite mirroring disabled. I'm sure there were some other common animation issues, but I can't remember any of them. :(

The debugging suite doesn't actually do anything (it reports common errors, but doesn't actually modify any files). Unless you're positive you need it, there's no reason at all to run it.

Make sure you have sprite mirroring disabled. I'm sure there were some other common animation issues, but I can't remember any of them. :)

Probably not a good idea for me to have used the suite. As for sprite mirror, it shows as set to 0 in baldur.ini.

One other strange thing is that Silver Star (a mod NPC) has a line of dialog showing where her name should be in the character arbitration screen, and it shows up the same way when I move the mouse over her portrait when in main gameplay mode.

The dreadful thought that I should reinstall everything is looming once again...

- E

The debugging suite wouldn't actually do anything but waste your time, so you shouldn't be seeing any before/after differences with it.

Sprite mirroring usually only breaks Elminster's old animation (and maybe Drizzt, but I can't remember exactly), so there was almost no chance that it was causing your problem anyway.

I think there are some things you could do to resolve an issue like this (this isn't a common error; it's definitely something wrong with your settings or your setup), but I'm coming up blank at the moment; a reinstall may be the quickest way to get things running again.

The debugging suite wouldn't actually do anything but waste your time, so you shouldn't be seeing any before/after differences with it.

Sprite mirroring usually only breaks Elminster's old animation (and maybe Drizzt, but I can't remember exactly), so there was almost no chance that it was causing your problem anyway.

I think there are some things you could do to resolve an issue like this (this isn't a common error; it's definitely something wrong with your settings or your setup), but I'm coming up blank at the moment; a reinstall may be the quickest way to get things running again.

Well...reinstalling everything is only about half as painful as it used to be, and takes only about half as much time as it used to take :) I was just surprised that I've been running very successful test games lately, and hadn't installed anything else besides my own item pack (all items based on existing game items, and using the existing .BAMs). To add to the mystery, this morning I started yet another new mp game as a test, took just the main character to the mephit area, and killed it with no unwanted game behavior. Most puzzling...

After the crash, I had thought to run testo.tp2, just in case that would help any, but that didn't banish the CTD. Reinstalling will have to happen shortly, as I've found more mods to add to the mix *L*

Thanks,

Eric

OK, now I'm certain that my CTD has nothing to do with the Debugging Suite. I'm not sure what the cause is now, but the only other mod I installed after having success with the game was my own item pack. I reinstalled everything today, and started another test game. Got to the same point, and right as we attacked the mephit, CTD happened with the same assertion failure.

In this round of installs, I accidentally installed Moinesse Avatars after 1PP, whereas I normally install 1pp first. Either way is fine with me, but when I equip Imoen with one of the Elven lightblades I created (this item was based on the normal short sword, and uses that item's .BAM), the weapon doesn't appear in her paperdoll's hand. If I equip her with a normal short sword, though (sw1h07), it shows up in her paperdoll's hand.

As usual, I'm confused and at a loss about this. At this point, this topic probably should be moved elsewhere. I really need to know how to solve this one. In the mean time, I'll uninstall my mod, and, if WeiDU doesn't choke with too many open files in the process (which it usually does by the time it gets to reinstalling everything, and tries to reinstall BG2 Tweaks), I'll test some more.

Thanks,

Eric

The avatar animation is defined by a two-character code at 0x22 in the ITM header (for short sword, you'd want "SS"). Make sure you're setting this correctly (or aren't changing this if you copied directly from another short sword).

The BAMs are only used for interface icons (either the quick button interface or in the inventory screens), the ground icon (when the item is dropped on the ground, and the description image. They don't affect the appearance of the paper doll or the character avatar.

What version of Mac OS X? I thought the open files thing was resolved years ago. In any case, if you're using bash, you should be able to raise the limits (ulimit -n unlimited) when invoking WeiDU manually (the stupid mod command files will open a new shell, so it won't help there, although you can probably modify the command files to raise the limits before launching the installer). Unless it's just a mod with a super-old version of WeiDU that's causing the problem...

The avatar animation is defined by a two-character code at 0x22 in the ITM header (for short sword, you'd want "SS"). Make sure you're setting this correctly (or aren't changing this if you copied directly from another short sword).

The BAMs are only used for interface icons (either the quick button interface or in the inventory screens), the ground icon (when the item is dropped on the ground, and the description image. They don't affect the appearance of the paper doll or the character avatar.

What version of Mac OS X? I thought the open files thing was resolved years ago. In any case, if you're using bash, you should be able to raise the limits (ulimit -n unlimited) when invoking WeiDU manually (the stupid mod command files will open a new shell, so it won't help there, although you can probably modify the command files to raise the limits before launching the installer). Unless it's just a mod with a super-old version of WeiDU that's causing the problem...

For the items (specifically in this case, for the short sword), I started by loading the file from the override folder, making changes, and then exporting it to the override folder using a new filename. I didn't change the avatar animation. In the game, if memory serves, the avatar was shown holding the sword, but it didn't show as in the paperdoll's hand in the inventory screen when equipped. It was only the short sword that did this; I equipped another character with a custom long sword, and it appeared as it should.

I run Mac OS X 10.4.11, with the latest security update (but that shouldn't make a difference). Got the open file fatal error again today, when I tried uninstalling my item mod, so I had to go back and reinstall everything all over again. I'm about to finish that in a little while (omitting my mod so I can work on it further). I'm using bash, yes. Do I append ulimit -n to the command line when I enter "./weidu-mac Setup-foo.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk" to install a mod? I never touch the .command files myself, except for WeiDU Installer.command...haven't even peered inside one. When I'm finished installing the mods, I run WeiDU Installer.command and use the update feature to make sure all mods are up to 204. In this current round of installs, all mods are showing that they're up to date, but previously I've seen some that would say they were at 201, and that this version of WeiDU does not auto-update. Like a dope, I'd proceed with the install anyway. I'll check after this round of installs is finished as well. If I can wrap all this up before midnight (which gives me another hour), I'll even be able to start a test game...

Thanks,

Eric

WeiDU 204 should auto-update automatically as soon as you run it (it'll find all other Setup* executables in the BG2 - SoA folder and update them to 204).

You'd just enter 'ulimit -n unlimited' and hit return before entering `./weidu-mac blah --stuff' (the limits will be raised for the current shell session -- until you logout/relaunch Terminal or open a new shell window). Everything you do in that shell window will respect the new limits for open files (you can also try raising the stack size with 'ulimit -s 65536' if you get segfaults when installing complex mods). If you wanted to modify the command files, you could just open them with BBEdit/TextWrangler and insert "ulimit -n unlimited" as a new line before the "./Setup*" line (which should always be the last line in the .command script).

If the animation tag for your items is correctly set but still doesn't show up in the game, you've likely got something seriously screwed up with your install. :(

WeiDU 204 should auto-update automatically as soon as you run it (it'll find all other Setup* executables in the BG2 - SoA folder and update them to 204).

You'd just enter 'ulimit -n unlimited' and hit return before entering `./weidu-mac blah --stuff' (the limits will be raised for the current shell session -- until you logout/relaunch Terminal or open a new shell window). Everything you do in that shell window will respect the new limits for open files (you can also try raising the stack size with 'ulimit -s 65536' if you get segfaults when installing complex mods). If you wanted to modify the command files, you could just open them with BBEdit/TextWrangler and insert "ulimit -n unlimited" as a new line before the "./Setup*" line (which should always be the last line in the .command script).

If the animation tag for your items is correctly set but still doesn't show up in the game, you've likely got something seriously screwed up with your install. :)

Ah, now that's handy! I'll just enter the ulimit bit first thing from now on, when I do a new round of installs (or if I have to uninstall something). I have to do this again now, as my last attempt ended up with Elven paperdolls not holding equipped weapons in their hands, but rather the weapons hanging in mid-air just beside their hands. This was because I installed 1pp v2 remix, but didn't also install 1pp remedy. My experience has been that I need to do both of these in order to correct this...even though they each use a .tp2 with the same name, so the WeiDU installer thinks I'm reinstalling the second one after I've installed the first. Not a problem, though, as the net result is that the paperdolls look as they should.

I'll see if I can verify the animation tag in NI now, but I won't install the item mod till I verify a properly functioning game after this new round of installs.

Thanks,

Eric

Archived