Is there a way to reset NPC's dialogue in a savegame? (Planescape Torment)

G915

I managed to mess up a dialogue in PsT, to be specific, Mebbeth, I wanted to become a mage at level 6 or 7, I did all the quests that you have to do for Mebbeth in order for her to train you (errands, market etc.) in advance around level 4 or so and then told her that I didn't want to become a mage at the moment. When I came back at lvl6, there were no dialogue options regarding the class change.

Is there a way in DLTCEP to reset her dialogue? I tried extracting saves, editing the .are file (Actors and then reseting her talk count to 0) and recompressing SAV but I never managed to do anything with her dialogue. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

EDIT: I think I did it, will report back if it worked.

Hi, thanks very much for your answer!

I gave it a shot but since I'm fairly incompetent at this stuff, I only managed the game to crash once I travel into Mebbeth's hut. Can you please give me some pointers as to how to do it properly?

Here's what I did:

1. Extraction - uncompress SAV - find the file
  2. Edit - Areas - Load external area - find AR0102 in the right folder
  3. (this is where i start guessing) Actors - click "Browse" next to the Creature field - find mebbeth, hit Refresh fields
  4. (this is where i literally have no idea what i'm doing) Go to "Variables & notes" - Add variable, type in mebbeth_art_answer - set value to 0 (it usually appears at 0)
  5. I don't do anything with 0x20 and 0x24 since i have no idea what they do
  6. recompress save - this generates a "baldur.tmp" file which i rename to torment.sav and load up the game

Now this entire operation seems like I'm doing it wrong. I also tried going into Edit -> Variables where I find the variable and click add but I have a feeling that I'm not editing the save when I do this.

Anyways, if you could help me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Archived