Cannot find setup-kivan.exe?

Guest hat

I've played through this mod before on my other computer, but now I have a different one and installed SoA and ToB a few months ago, installed mods and did my thing, but even back then I couldn't run through the Kivan and Deheriana Companions mod on this computer because after I run kivan-v8.1, it says it is extracting things, and after all that extracting jazz is done with and I'm all excited, it kindly informs me that "windows cannot find setup-kivan.exe" x_o. Well, I'm not even sure if back then when I first started using this computer it was version 8.1 that I was trying to install, but it did the same thing, so eh. But now it is most definitely v8.1, as I am looking at it, but anyway, all I've got is kivan-v8.1, setup-kivan.tp2, and the kivan folder in my main SoA folder with the rest of the mod and game folders.

I've spent several hours both months ago and over the past few days (most of today, actually) trying to fix this. If I open the archive with WinRAR, it shows me setup-kivan.exe -- such a tease, really. :( I just don't understand why it isn't able to find it? I've got Xan, Angelo, banter pack, flirtpack, crossmod, and Dungeon-Be-Gone installed just fine, so why not this one? All of their setup-XXX.exe shows up... When I had this installed nicely on my other computer, I had quite a few more mods than I have on this one and all of them worked fantastically. And I've gone through this forum a couple times over -- checked all of the installation and bug threads, and then some -- but maybe I missed something? Google didn't even help, and Google never, ever fails me.

The only thing that seemed to be even remotely close to this problem was answered with something about the person downloading from the wrong mirror-link, but I know I'm downloading the one for Windows. I tried all of the mirrors for Windows (and one for mac, because I thought "what the hell, why not?"), even though that has little to nothing to do with the file itself, but I was sort of desperate, and all of them had the same result, anyway. :D

Maybe it's an issue with this computer, or WeiDU? I really hope not, lol, I'm not exactly computer-savvy, and I'm utterly useless when it comes to WeiDU. But if it is an issue anyone has had here before (yeah, now that this is unsupported and stuff xP), I would like to know if there's some way to fix it, or just another way to get the setup-kivan.exe file.

I'm probably just defective or something. It makes me so sad, because this is one of my favorite mods ever and I had a lot of fun with it before, and would like to go through it several times more xP. And, I apologize for the babbling and rambling on about this for such a long post, but it's 3am and I tend to get incoherent around this time of morning. Plus, if I stop and just finalize it, I'll be back to trying to find solutions to this on my lonesome xD.

You could try extracting the contents of the archive with WinRAR if you haven't already. If this doesn't seem to help, you can always just make a copy of one of your other mods' setup-modname.exe files, rename the copy to setup-kivan.exe, and run it.

You could try extracting the contents of the archive with WinRAR if you haven't already. If this doesn't seem to help, you can always just make a copy of one of your other mods' setup-modname.exe files, rename the copy to setup-kivan.exe, and run it.

O_O Thank you so much! I hadn't even thought of that! The whole copying and such, I mean. Wow. Thank you! Figures it would be some simple fix. The only thing now is that it doesn't recognize Throne of Bhaal, but that's okay, because I've seen that issue around so I bet it's an easy fix, too :}

Thank you again! Gahh, so happy~ <3. ^_^

Guest Guest-nathan

O_O Thank you so much! I hadn't even thought of that! The whole copying and such, I mean. Wow. Thank you! Figures it would be some simple fix. The only thing now is that it doesn't recognize Throne of Bhaal, but that's okay, because I've seen that issue around so I bet it's an easy fix, too :}

Thank you again! Gahh, so happy~ <3. ^_^

I'm having trouble with the exact same thing. There is no WinRar file for windows and the self-extract file won't work, saying it doesn't work on Win32. So I downloaded the WinRar file for OS X, hoping that maybe it would work if I copy and change the name of kelsey setup file, but no success there either. So how do you install this mod?

So far I've installed Bg, bg totsc, bg totsc latest patch, bg2 soa, bg2 tob, bg2 latest patch, EasyTutu and after kivan didn't work, I installed kelsey mod for tob.

Thanks.

The Mac package has a different version of WeiDU, compiled for use on a Mac, so that one will not work on windows.

The self-extracting (Windows version) of the mod is built with WinRar, and WinRar (and most programs that support that compression) see it as a .rar archive, even though it is set up with special (SFX) commands that manipulate the files.

In simpler terms, it is a fancy package around a winrar archive.

So, if you open a .rar - reading program, you should be able to look inside the self-extracting file, and extract all of the contents onto your desktop manually.

While typing this, I downloaded kivan-v8.1 to my desktop. I left-clicked on it, and went down the list to the option "open with winrar", and opened it. In the archve, there is a setup-kivan.tp2, a kivan folder, and a setup-kivan.exe. I hit the "Extract To" button (second from the left on the top bar) and browsed to my desktop, then let the program drop it there.

Move them to your game directory and run them directly from the file setup- it will be named "setup-kivan.exe".

Some caveats - Jarno has a post on this somewhere, but the ultra-basics -

if you are running Windows 7 or Vista, either x32 or x64, there are lots of things that the OS puts up to protect your coputer from chnages that you do not want. Some of thins means stuff really gets messed up.

The safest way to avoid lots of troubles is to install i.e. games on a separate drive, or at least *not* in C:\Program Files\Games. Then install things as administrator. And if you install something with the User Account Control enabled, keep installing other stuff in the same manner - but the best non-trouble-with-mods-advice is to scan everything for viruses, then disconnect from the internet, then disable virus protection, turn off UAC, and mod the game. When you are done, you can turn all that stuff back on.

You could also use winrar to check to make sure something did not damage/remove the setup-kivan.exe whee extracting - for awhile Kapersky and some other virus software sometimes thought the .exe was a virus, and on some machines we still get sporadic reports of folks having trouble with a false positive.

(One of the reasons we request modders use this format when setting up their G3 mods, though not all do, is because this particular format is pretty darned easy to troubleshoot. More than one way to open up the .exe, and all. And very easy to write out directions when a player is not sure how to do this :thumbsup: ).

Guest Guest-Nathan
The Mac package has a different version of WeiDU, compiled for use on a Mac, so that one will not work on windows.

The self-extracting (Windows version) of the mod is built with WinRar, and WinRar (and most programs that support that compression) see it as a .rar archive, even though it is set up with special (SFX) commands that manipulate the files.

In simpler terms, it is a fancy package around a winrar archive.

So, if you open a .rar - reading program, you should be able to look inside the self-extracting file, and extract all of the contents onto your desktop manually.

While typing this, I downloaded kivan-v8.1 to my desktop. I left-clicked on it, and went down the list to the option "open with winrar", and opened it. In the archve, there is a setup-kivan.tp2, a kivan folder, and a setup-kivan.exe. I hit the "Extract To" button (second from the left on the top bar) and browsed to my desktop, then let the program drop it there.

Move them to your game directory and run them directly from the file setup- it will be named "setup-kivan.exe".

Some caveats - Jarno has a post on this somewhere, but the ultra-basics -

if you are running Windows 7 or Vista, either x32 or x64, there are lots of things that the OS puts up to protect your coputer from chnages that you do not want. Some of thins means stuff really gets messed up.

The safest way to avoid lots of troubles is to install i.e. games on a separate drive, or at least *not* in C:\Program Files\Games. Then install things as administrator. And if you install something with the User Account Control enabled, keep installing other stuff in the same manner - but the best non-trouble-with-mods-advice is to scan everything for viruses, then disconnect from the internet, then disable virus protection, turn off UAC, and mod the game. When you are done, you can turn all that stuff back on.

You could also use winrar to check to make sure something did not damage/remove the setup-kivan.exe whee extracting - for awhile Kapersky and some other virus software sometimes thought the .exe was a virus, and on some machines we still get sporadic reports of folks having trouble with a false positive.

(One of the reasons we request modders use this format when setting up their G3 mods, though not all do, is because this particular format is pretty darned easy to troubleshoot. More than one way to open up the .exe, and all. And very easy to write out directions when a player is not sure how to do this :thumbsup: ).

Thanks. Unfortunately, my WinRar does not give me the option to open the file. I tried other things, like downloading other programs that would unpack .exe files as rar or changing the file extension to .rar, but no luck there either. :|

Try this:

1) Open Winrar from the Start menu

2) Ctrl+O (or File->Open Archive)

3) In the "Files of type" option, make sure you select "All archives including self-extracting ones"

4) Navigate to folder where kivanv8.1.exe is

5) Try opening :thumbsup:

Me?? I'm just here to say that many antimalware programs detect Kivanv8.1 (and Tashia Remix v1.1's music.exe) as Generic trojans :hm: (which are blatant false-positives though :))

Guest Guest-Nathan
Now, that is very strange. What version of WinRar are you using? It would have to be several generations ago to not have the option pop up - unless you are running on a Win98 platform?

3.91, but I figured it out now. It was my firewall. It put the file automatically in quaranteen without removing the file from that position. Sorry. Thanks for help.

Archived