Gibberlings3 forum hacked?

psyko_nevro

I think the forum has been hacked.

I noticed a few days ago that when you come to the forum from a google search, instead of seeing the forum you visit an url4short.info.

post-10658-0-89345800-1541325250_thumb.jpg

Various spaming websites are opened following this link. Just test yourself, search "Question/Suggestion: post-Sarevok in EET" in google, then click on the first result. This happens to me on Firefox, Chrome, Internet explorer. Maybe valuable information, it happens when coming from google, but I quickly tested on Bing (microsoft search) which brought me straight to the forum.

I thought initially it was my computer, so I didn't pay attention. But I've just seen a post on Spellhold that convinced me your website has been hacked:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60216-gibberlings3-the-harmful-site/

Anyone who noticed the redirect can take some comfort that the problem was on the forums, rather than malware on their machine or a malicious browser addon.

Assuming users didn't do anything dangerous on the redirected site (e.g. downloading and running a file), they should be fine.

Anyone who noticed the redirect can take some comfort that the problem was on the forums, rather than malware on their machine or a malicious browser addon.

Assuming users didn't do anything dangerous on the redirected site (e.g. downloading and running a file), they should be fine.

I noticed it too but couldn't find the cause. The first time was some weeks ago. I have a bookmarks folder with fora and news site i visit everyday so that i can quickly use "open all in tabs". So everytime i happened to see the ff tab with url4short, i had many opened tabs and i couldn't pinpoint from what site i opened it.

I researched it a bit and found that it is a malware but like lynx i thought it is my machine that is infected. I couldn't find anything wrong with my firefox profile and since it occurred very infrequently (and since i use a different profile for banking and tax stuff) i dismissed it as not important :)

kudos to psyko for reporting it and to Mike for fixing it.

Edited by khelban12