Lovetalk after Adalon's change...

Bri

As mentioned in the Designer's notes above, there will be some lovetalks to occur in the Underdark if the romance is that far along, but they won't impede the normal course of romance if it isn't developed until afterward.

Also note that I still intend to do the a class specific lovetalk (11 in total) and race specific lovetalk (6 in total), but for core ones (or semi-core ones) this will probably be the last displayed. Progress is being made and those who playtest it such as KIrving and UUF can attest to that.

Delainy moves around you, taking in your new appearance then stops as she cups your face with her hand.

"I don't like this," she says, "I don't like this one bit. I know this is just an illusion, but Adalon's spell has managed to hide the tenderness I see in your eyes. Now, all I see is cruelty."

Delainy drops her hand, and whispers, "And the smell of blood...it's like a slaughterhouse, clinging to you like a deathshroud."

Option 1:

"Well, I can't help how I look, Delainy. As for the smell...blood you say? If it really smells like you say it does, I would have thought you would be...aroused...by it."

Option 2:

"Delainy, that hurts. You of all people should know better than to judge someone by their appearance."

Option 3:

"Well, then that's a good thing, isn't it? We just might pull off this subterfuge."

Option 4:

"Heh, you may be right. However, Delainy, you will have to be careful what you say once we get into the drow city. We don't want to give our disguises away."

Option 5:

"Well, you certainly have the drow aptitude for compliments, don't you?"

If Option 1, then go to A.

If Option 2, then go to B.

If Option 3, then go to C.

If Option 4, then go to D.

If Option 5, then go to E.

A:

Delainy winces, "Don't even joke about it, MainChar."

She looks you steadily in the eyes, "I won't deny after a hunt, I don't mind getting..."

She waves her hands, and smiles, "Especially with you. But this...this is different. It's almost like your taint was given form. And it reeks of the grave, of corruption."

(End dialogue)

B:

Delainy nods, "I know, my love. You are completely right. But when one relies on both their snout and their eyes, it can be a bit disconcerting."

She squeezes your hand, "I imagine it is not much easier for you, is it?"

(End dialogue)

C:

Delainy shrugs, "Yes, you are undoubtedly correct. That doesn't mean I have to like it, does it?"

(End dialogue)

D:

Delainy nods, "I know. It's going to be hard, though."

She chuckles, "As you say, watching what I say will be more than difficult. I will try to keep quiet, I promise MainChar."

(End dialogue)

E:

Delainy growls, "And you have learned their attitude quite well, haven't you? Well, step lightly MainChar. You talk that way to me when amongst their ranks, then I will have to...punish you."

(End dialogue)

Bri,

I don't post much here but wanted to say thanks for sharing another LT with us. I think this one hasn't gotten much feedback simply because it's rather short and there's not much to add to it (but it's gotten a lot of hits since posted).

I do have a concern here, though. Since it takes some time to get the appropriate LTs done for the romance to get to this point in the Underdark, it may be late in the game before you can get Imoen into the party. I'm particularly curious what Delainy has to discuss with her (the dialogue you posted some time back was interesting, to say the least) and am concerned that they won't have time to finish their full dialogues. I obviously don't have insight to the interworkings of the mod and figured I should at least bring this subject up, even though it may be considered a minor quibble.

As per this LT, I will say that I find Delainy unique in that her wolf senses pick up many things that a "normal" NPC wouldn't and you incorporate that very well in her character. I'm looking forward to the mod's release a great deal.

Cheers,

Colstan

I don't post much here but wanted to say thanks for sharing another LT with us. I think this one hasn't gotten much feedback simply because it's rather short and there's not much to add to it (but it's gotten a lot of hits since posted).

Thanks for the kind words Colstan. Truth be known, I wasn't expecting to many responses for the reason you just mentioned.

Also, as this is meant to take place in the Underdark, there logically isn't as much time for long ones to take place as one might wish.

Since it takes some time to get the appropriate LTs done for the romance to get to this point in the Underdark, it may be late in the game before you can get Imoen into the party. I'm particularly curious what Delainy has to discuss with her (the dialogue you posted some time back was interesting, to say the least) and am concerned that they won't have time to finish their full dialogues. I obviously don't have insight to the interworkings of the mod and figured I should at least bring this subject up, even though it may be considered a minor quibble.

Well, most of the dialogues with other NPCs are actually random. So if you play through once, you may not get that same dialogue the second time around. (Though there are a few where the dialogues are more sequential for NPCs).

As per this LT, I will say that I find Delainy unique in that her wolf senses pick up many things that a "normal" NPC wouldn't and you incorporate that very well in her character. I'm looking forward to the mod's release a great deal.

Well, I have almost all the core lovetalks finished, so it is getting closer. I had a very productive month last month (as people like KIrving and BevH can attest)

On a completely unrelated note, I find Bri's avatar very appropriate. For anyone not familiar with it, the portrait was first displayed on the cover of Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts, which was first printed in 1993 for the Ravenloft setting. IMO, it's the best source for AD&D lycanthropes ever released. If you can scrounge up a copy then it's well worth it. Although, of the guides, Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts is probably my favorite.

*sigh*

I miss the Ravenloft setting. The "new" 3E version doesn't provide a great deal of new material which is where its fundamentals are.

Colstan

On a completely unrelated note, I find Bri's avatar very appropriate. For anyone not familiar with it, the portrait was first displayed on the cover of Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts, which was first printed in 1993 for the Ravenloft setting. IMO, it's the best source for AD&D lycanthropes ever released. If you can scrounge up a copy then it's well worth it. Although, of the guides, Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts is probably my favorite.

Colstan

Heh, I like her avatar too, and I remember while playing the thief FM "Calendra's Cistern" seeing that very same picture, as a portrait in a tavern. Boy, *that* looks familiar, I thought. It briefly put Garrett off his thieving. My only regret is that he couldn't steal it (how does he manage to steal thousands of GPs worth of loot anyway?! Bag of Holding?).

Back on topic, looks like a good LT, but given the pace in which I complete the game (slavedriver is my middle name), I'm wondering if the romance would have progressed enough for Del to have real feelings for <CHARNAME> at that time of the game? It's not really an issue, since I now pace myself, pausing the game long enough for the next LT.

Uriel

Well, remember that you will also be able to advance the Del lovetalks like the BioWare ones to speed them up if you finish the game's quests early, and thus enabling you to generate these other lovetalks.

Some, like this one after Adalon, will not be in the core line due to the fact that if you don't pick Del up and start romancing her after the Underdark, then it would make little sense to have this one boot up.

Heh, and yeah, I like the avatar picture too...though I'm admittedly biased :suspect:

I like this. Looks like I'll be selecting the first option most of the time.

Of course, this dialog may seem silly to those people who've installed the no-drow-appearance portion of the Ease of Use mod. Perhaps there's a way to code it so this dialog only occurs if the player has the drow-appearance spell active. Or just forget it and let their imaginations do the work.

Now, I haven't installed ease of use, but if I understand correctly this feature prevents the characters from taking the drow appearance, right? If that's right, it does not fit to the game plot anyway, so I don't think that Bri needs to consider that feature at all in her writing/coding since it's unrealistic on it's own and does not add anything to the story. That's IMO, of course. :suspect:

I'm glad it meets with your approval Smoketest. Sadly, I guess I fell into the BioWare trap where most of the good responses are first, and the worst ones are last when it came to writing.

As for when this engages, it probably won't take into account the Ease of Use Mod. This was made for the core game, and the assumption is that you are disguised as drow.

Heh, and I would agree with you Meira. There are enough holes in BG II, not allowing one to appear as drow would be a bigger one :suspect:

And Smoketest, I love your sig line ;-)

That tweak was created for those players who, after installing the patch, still have trouble with the drow animation causing their characters to "drop path", or stop moving, on the way to a destination, among other things. It has no purpose or meaning for anyone not having these problems.

I suppose nothing would need to be addressed, since the tweak assumes the player will imagine themselves being drow for the sake of the story. As a joke I'd probably put something in that mentioned it, but what Bri does with it is her choice, not ours.

I'm glad it meets with your approval Smoketest.  Sadly, I guess I fell into the BioWare trap where most of the good responses are first, and the worst ones are last when it came to writing.

(snip)

And Smoketest, I love your sig line ;-)

I actually prefer having the good responses listed first. You did say early in development that you weren't going to make players jump through hoops to find the best response for the sake of the romance, and this is one way to meet that goal.

And thanks. Your personal message inspired me to do an internet search and play around with phrases. :suspect:

Ah, then that tweak makes good sense. Yep, it would be very irritating for those effects to happen.

I suppose nothing would need to be addressed, since the tweak assumes the player will imagine themselves being drow for the sake of the story. As a joke I'd probably put something in that mentioned it, but what Bri does with it is her choice, not ours.

Heh, it might be a good joke, but it would be a little out of place :suspect: Not that BG II doesn't do enough that way ;-)

That tweak was created for those players who, after installing the patch, still have trouble with the drow animation causing their characters to "drop path", or stop moving, on the way to a destination, among other things.  It has no purpose or meaning for anyone not having these problems.

Alright, I did not know that - probably because I've never had that problem. I just assumed that the feature was for those that get annoyed by all chars looking the same and rather had them as they were. In this light my earlier comment was unnecessary edgy - my apologises. :suspect:

Guest Guest

I am curious Bri, do you intend to do anything about Delainy's shapeshifting abilities while the party is given Drow appearance? It might seem a bit odd with a large werewolf in the midst of a Drow party... of course one might just decide that the illousion covers this too.

(I'm aware Bioware didn't do anything about this, but it would be interesting to see how Delainy would react to not being able to shapeshift).

By the way, nice lovetalk.

Archived