Feeling dorky tonight

Magus

Interesting. I don't see why anyone in their right mind would ever play this game without TobEx. I'm comfortable having some of my components simply be skipped if TobEx is not detected... you guys might want to do that with TnB (or, just install TobEx right there), it might make pre-EE compatibility a lot easier.

Interesting. I don't see why anyone in their right mind would ever play this game without TobEx. I'm comfortable having some of my components simply be skipped if TobEx is not detected... you guys might want to do that with TnB (or, just install TobEx right there), it might make pre-EE compatibility a lot easier.

Getting a bit off topic, but compatibility is the works.

Anyway, I have thinking about a simpler way to do this that might be more compatible with all versions.

First, the selection spl, the one that summons the invisible monster, can set a local variable for each spell level by the amount that the character should have if a given spell level at a given class level. This would be controlled by level using extended headers.

Say you have a first level sorcerer. When casting the spl, the local variable LEV_1 would be set to "2" (or whatever it is).

For each spell level, there is a second local variable that increments when a spell is selected in dialog (let's call the first level one, "NUM_LEV_1")

If ~!LocalsEqual(NUM_LEV_1,LEV_1)~ (then go to level 1 selections)

If all NUM_LEV_x's match their respective LEV_x values, then the only option will lead to an exit, setting a global that will tell the creature to reset any globals and destroyself()

a local variable would be associated with every selectable spell, and set to "1"in dialog when that spell is selected. Selection checks for this variable (ie not set to "1") rather than the spell itself (happily, avoiding the use of sleep() as well).

Specifically, selection would give the spell, set the spell local, and increment the associated NUM_LEV_x local, and then exit (to set the variables, initiating immediate dialog unless the global telling the creature to destroyself() is set)

That's the basic outline anyway and is very amenable to sorcerers having a unique selection. But no "exclude sorcerer" so far

I was hoping someone knew of an exclusion flag I could tick to make it 'sorcerers only'. One day, maybe!

Yeah, the exclusion flag has 10 possible values: 8 for the schools of magic, 1 for wild magic, and 1 for generalists. No flag for sorcerers unless you re-purpose one of those.

Yeah, the exclusion flag has 10 possible values...

Gh-römn. (Actually two to the power of )31 (which is roughtly about 4.2 million possibilities, not that we are counting those, but.... the actual 31 different flags, and yet... ). But yeah, most of them are not associated with mages(only 10 are apllied to the mages), and re-association should be impossible(at least from what we know off), without making a summa summarum changes to all the spells and their associations, like in the Aquadrizzt's mod.

Right, sorry. There are gazillions of exclusion flags... but there are only 10 values (I think) for the byte at offset 0x0025 in .spl files to designate their school and the corresponding exclusions.

You can absolutely re-associate which school is excluded from which kit (my mod does it, so does Aquadrizzt's)... but there are only 10 such associations to work with.

(Btw @qwerty1234567 just say the word and you can have this thread back. It just seems like there have been so many ideas thrown out (and rejected) that it has basically become a random brainstorm thread.)

Archived