[Not an issue] Uninstallation issues

mos_anted

When I was installing the mod (v1.9)in Tutu, I was halfway through modding some NPC's when there was a blackout and my PC lost power. Now I can't revert the changes I made; I tried installing and uninstalling the mod again but the modded versions of the NPC's are still there. Is there a way I can get the "vanilla Tutu" versions back without doing yet another reinstall of Tutu?

Unfortunately, no. Once you have something like that happen, the easiest way to avoid problems is to start over.

One thing I do to avoid the hassle is make a full backup of my vanilla install, be it BG2 or EasyTutu. Simply compressing the install directory (or, since I am lazy and 8GB USB thumb drives are way cheap, leaving it uncompressed and simply copying the whole Black Isle directory) means that if something goes wrong the "fix" is to delete the real directory and copy the clean one into the same place.

I do all the "prep" stuff on the vanilla install before copying, like running the configuration, saving an initial game, editing the values I want in the balder.ini (like debug mode, and such), so a restore using this method takes an incredibly short amount of time.

Because I am way lazy, I even make a backup of modded installs, and test installs - space is way cheap, and time away from gaming and modding is a drain on my psyche; saves a bunch of time and hassle. (it even preserves the registry stuff intact, so no weirdness there either).

Unfortunately, no. Once you have something like that happen, the easiest way to avoid problems is to start over.

One thing I do to avoid the hassle is make a full backup of my vanilla install, be it BG2 or EasyTutu. Simply compressing the install directory (or, since I am lazy and 8GB USB thumb drives are way cheap, leaving it uncompressed and simply copying the whole Black Isle directory) means that if something goes wrong the "fix" is to delete the real directory and copy the clean one into the same place.

I do all the "prep" stuff on the vanilla install before copying, like running the configuration, saving an initial game, editing the values I want in the balder.ini (like debug mode, and such), so a restore using this method takes an incredibly short amount of time.

Because I am way lazy, I even make a backup of modded installs, and test installs - space is way cheap, and time away from gaming and modding is a drain on my psyche; saves a bunch of time and hassle. (it even preserves the registry stuff intact, so no weirdness there either).

Damn! Thanks anyway. I was too lazy to back up my "vanilla" Tutu install and now I'd have to reinstall it yet again (for like the 57th time, you'd think i'd have learned by now :/). I decided it was not worth it and used lvl1npcs to re-mod them back to vanilla status manually; the only issue was Coran since it was not possible to mod him back to 3 proficiency points on bows, but I guess i can fix that with SK once I get to that point.

SK is a cool tool, for sure - make a backup of the save game at that point, though, befor SK'ing him, just in case. Life is too short for all those re-installations!! The other trick I use to maximize playing time is to make an .iso of the original BG and BG2 discs, and mount those images instead of using the CD itself. Loading an .iso takes a millisecond, while using the cd involves digging through all your other discs, blowing the dust off, waiting for the cd to spin up, then realizing you have put the wrong one in... so 37 seconds ago :D

There is another trick you can use if this kind of shit happens (and it happens a lot while developing and testing mods for various reasons, or even while using DLTCEP for some reason). Look at the DEBUG file if there is one for the timestamp (in Windows) for when you installed the mod. There might not be one but if you weren't installing a bunch of mods at once, it's still pretty easy. Just go to your override, view the details (like date/time) sort it in reverse (newest first), then delete all the changed files as of that date/time and that'll undo all the mod changes and revert to the biffed (vanilla game) files. But yeah, it's also good to have a clean backup.

Archived