bg2 Staff of Magi fixpackv9 bug

Guest ColinM

hey

i installed vanilla bg2 with TOB w/ official patches

installed: SOA + bonuscd + soa offical patch + TOB + tob official patch

i load my sorceress character with staff of the magi and i can see the protect from evil icon and the protect from magic energy icon.

then i install fixpackv9 and protect from evil icon disappears, prot from magic energy changes to its new corrected icon. note protect from evil still works.

also why would you add fix to let dispel magic disable staffs invisibility...just because i reformed party...then can add back...now enemies could cast and i would appear...yeah?

thanks colin

then i install fixpackv9 and protect from evil icon disappears, prot from magic energy changes to its new corrected icon. note protect from evil still works.

Will check the icon, thanks.

also why would you add fix to let dispel magic disable staffs invisibility...just because i reformed party...then can add back...now enemies could cast and i would appear...yeah?

This is a holdover from Baldurdash:

The third update resolves the problem whereby if a party member was kicked out while wielding this staff, they would instantly go invisible so could not be talked to to rejoin the party, only attacking them with an area effect spell would cause them to go visible, and of course attacking them meant they would become hostile and not converse. (This was not caused by any alterations; it was like that originally.) Casting Dispel Magic near them (they can't be targeted directly of course) should now remove their invisiblity. Unfortunately the game engine doesn't seem to check neutrals when a party member casts an invisibility dispelling spell such as True Sight, Detect Invisibility, or even uses a thief's Detect Illusions skill, so this will have to do for now. Suggestions are welcome. :^)

It's one of those cases of replacing an issue with a smaller issue.

Confirmed the Protection from Evil icon issue. It was erroneously being removed due to a small typo in the fixpack code. Revised code below.

--- setup-bg2fixpack.tp2	2010-03-15 19:54:10.000000000 +0100
+++ setup-bg2fixpack.v10	2012-01-10 17:14:18.125000000 +0100
@@ -17128,7 +17128,7 @@
 PATCH_IF (("%type%" = 139) OR ("%type%" = 141)) BEGIN // lighting effects, display string
   WRITE_BYTE ("%fx_off%" + 0x02 + ("%loops%" * 0x30)) 1 // target: self
 END ELSE
-	PATCH_IF (("%type%" = 142) OR ("%icon%" = 28)) BEGIN // display protection from magic icon
+	PATCH_IF (("%type%" = 142) AND ("%icon%" = 28)) BEGIN // display protection from magic icon
   WRITE_LONG ("%fx_off%" + 0x08 + ("%loops%" * 0x30)) 52 // mind shield
 END
  END

Archived