Odd Observation

Guest Ahuut

Ok, This May sound strange and I am not trying to be a bother to anybody but i noticied delainy in your screenshots and well I like all that I saw and the mod is going to be amazing but I noticed you gave Delainy the avatar of a white human female..not that there is anything wrong with it what so ever but Delainy in bg 1 had an elf cleric avatar with a spanish looking skin tint. Im not picking or complaining I just thought if you wanted to get it to as close to the real thing as possible u could change that ..It's not even that hard to do but it is your mod and you can do as you wish with it but I thought u might consider it...Oh and please forgive me if I offended you in anyway I am just weird.I like to keep things as close as possible to the real thing so i thought u might want to as well..Thank you for your time

I prefer the term dusky since there are plenty of Spaniards fair of skin.

Anyways, as for changing the skin color, that is easily enough changed with Shadowkeeper. In my game I don't recall her skin being that dark in BG I. The same goes with the 'elf cleric' avatar bit.

There is another reason for it...in second edition AD&D, lycanthropes were usually not allowed to be anything but humans. Werebadgers (with dwarves) and werefoxes (with elven females) being noticeable exceptions.

prefer the term dusky since there are plenty of Spaniards fair of skin.

Anyways, as for changing the skin color, that is easily enough changed with Shadowkeeper. In my game I don't recall her skin being that dark in BG I. The same goes with the 'elf cleric' avatar bit.

There is another reason for it...in second edition AD&D, lycanthropes were usually not allowed to be anything but humans. Werebadgers (with dwarves) and werefoxes (with elven females) being noticeable exceptions.

Interesting. I knew of course of the limitations for race/class choices in 2nd Ed, but I haven't heard from any limitations for lycanthropes. But, as I recall, you could pick the Shapeshifter kit as a half-elf as well in BG2, so I figure they haven't taken it that strictly. Mind you, I still think it's weird that you can't be an elven druid in 2nd Ed (or at least not in BG2), where Elves tend to be close to nature and all that.

Badgersbadgersbadgersbadgersbadgers....

God, no, no... stop that man. NO!!! :(

Well, it really depends on the lycanthrope in question, and where you look. If you look at Basic Dungeons and Dragons (the boxed set), no demi-human could become a lycanthrope at all...they all got sick from lycanthropy, and then died.

As for the Shapeshifter Kit, if you have access to the Player's Handbook to Druids, this is what it says:

Shapeshifter druids master their shapechanging powers at a lower experience level than other druids.  This ability takes a special gift (perhaps a taint of lycanthropic or silver dragon blood in the druid's family tree), and intense training.

This is a case where all lycanthropes are considered shapeshifters, but not all shapeshifters are lycanthropic.

And if you are curious as to what kind of werecreatures are in AD&D 2nd Edition, I have found the following:

Werebadger

Wereraven

Werebat

Weresnake

Werealligator

Werespider

Wereboar

Wererat

Werewolf

Werebear

Wereshark

Weretiger

Wereleopard

Werepanther

Werelion

Werefox

SeaWolf (think of a seal with a wolf's head...and this isn't to be mixed up with the Selkie)

Well I did it its blerred and kinda hard to see (sorry i am retarded i didnt know how to upload 1 other then an avatar so ull have to look at that) If you can see del has black hair and my elf cleric has brown and they look increadibly similer in my opinion, if u cant see or tell i have a full bitmap i can send through mail (wouldnt let me load bitmap as avatar) well here goes nothing ill reply and see if it can be seen by everyone if not i can send the screens through mail if anyone is interested

Hmmm... does this really matter that much? As Bri mentioned, editing an ingame avatar is child's play with Shadowkeeper (in fact I do this with all my own characters), so Delainy can be made to look like you wish. It's true that consistency with the original is preferable, but as for me, I don't care that much.

Werebadger

Wereraven

Werebat

Weresnake

Werealligator

Werespider

Wereboar

Wererat

Werewolf

Werebear

Wereshark

Weretiger

Wereleopard

Werepanther

Werelion

Werefox

Gods, I'm glad they didn't make a wereturkey or anything in the matter, although perhaps werealligators and wereravens are bad enough by themselves.

True It does not matter to me much at all either, I just thought it would be interisting to compair. I figured since I was going to be there soon why not take a screen and post it...Besids maby ahuut does not like to use sdhadowkeeper or even possible not know what it is..not everyone uses that stuff you know.

Well I don't use Shadowkeeper, because I use Mac :( . But since I have never met Delainy (I was always in the island with female PC) I think I don't mind, though human avatar looks worse than an elf avatar in BGII.

But what if (just game to my mind) the makers of the game have thought that werewolves should have different avatars, that a werewolf in human form should have pointed ears, and the closest thing was an elf avatar? Sorry, I haven't played ToSW for a long time, and can't remember if there were any human avatars as werewolves in there.

Actually there are many humans on the island mostly the male guards are but I was just seeing if del was an elf or not for fun and because I was curious..it looks like to me she is so im happy but I posted the pic to see what the people on the bored thought ..to be honest I have run through TotSC many times and never noticed she was an elf untill ahuut said something about it ^_^

Well, I concede she is definitely dark skinned :(

However, just a point of reference, though werewolves are frequently pictured as having slightly pointed ears in human form, this is not a given according to the AD&D books.

And sometimes, those avatars are chosen just to give a better impression of what someone looks like than what they necessarily are.

For that matter, I always considered it a given that people would change the color or picture for Delainy if they didn't like what she looked like too.

Gods, I'm glad they didn't make a wereturkey or anything in the matter, although perhaps werealligators and wereravens are bad enough by themselves.

If you notice on the list, most of the shapechangers were those who are big predators. Not all of them, like the wereravens...also, they often took ideas from countries that had shapechangers...but those might have been spirits, rather than lycanthropes.

Or, those who were considered tricksters (like Raven in Native American mythology) and shapechanging was a matter of par for the course.

Archived