Masochists sought for IWD-BG2 project

CamDawg

I've spent a couple of weeks exploring whether an IWD to BG2 conversion project is feasible. I've got a crude, brute-force conversion working--by working I mean 'it now rarely crashes'--and now we're down to tedious monkey work. Many resources can be converted automatically, but there are always exceptions, which is where the fun starts. I'm also struggling with aspects of the engine and files which I don't understand nearly as well (i.e. getting acm and mus files to work). I'm also hoping a real programmer can help streamline the conversion process itself and make it much more user friendly.

Any suckers folks want to help? At this point, I need help from modders more than anything, but if players want to wander around the game and offer suggestions, crash reports, etc. it would also help.

Any suckers folks want to help? At this point, I need help from modders more than anything, but if players want to wander around the game and offer suggestions, crash reports, etc. it would also help.

You are cruel, you know that... :)

I'm enjoying my first time through SoA/ToB right now, and you have to hit me with a dream-come-true (ever since I heard about the original IWD-Tutu attempt by japheth :( ).

You'll have your guinea-pig(?) once that's done... :(:)

So, who here is waiting for the "April Fools!" post?

No, this has really been done.

Did you learn OCaml or coded this in 30KLOC of tp2?

No OCaml, which is why I'm hoping to sucker in someone who can make it a faster and more efficient process. I don't care if it's written in FORTRAN, but I'm sure it ca be done in a nicer fashion than it's currently using. Right now it uses a batch file to yank IWD resources (via WeiDU command line abuse) into a local BG2 folder, at which point I begin abusing the resources via tp2. It's ugly (about an hour to pull resources and install), but since I was only going for a proof-of-concept I'm not too chuffed. Scripts and dialogues compile, you can wander around areas, creatures/spells/items are converted, etc. Spells are a problem, but we may just shoot for conversion of the innates and use the BG2 system until we can get a more thorough treatment of them.

Sooo, think you're up to combining HOF with BGT for post-TOB epic questing? :(

No, this is planned as a straight conversion a la Tutu. Adding an additional layer of complication like that is begging for a while lot of unnecessary trouble.

I'm enjoying my first time through SoA/ToB right now, and you have to hit me with a dream-come-true (ever since I heard about the original IWD-Tutu attempt by japheth :( ).

You'll have your guinea-pig(?) once that's done... :):)

Yeah, I wouldn't count on seeing anything really requiring playtesting for a while.

No OCaml

Is pretty much why I didn't try something like this already myself :)

I'm sure you've already handled the BitGlobal 32-fold decomposition and most of the other (very minor) scripting transfer hacks - most of it's easy, except for the stuff that looks intractable.

Dunno. While I'd love to help, I doubt I'd make for a particularly helpful or reliable collaborator. Maybe you could at least take time away from the mod work to post about the modwork you've already done? At least that way devSin will appear, say that you've done it wrong and that he's done something better, giving you an idea for an altogether third approach?

I'm guessing you found a better way of converting AND actions (I think that was the problematic one) than I gave for Icy Tutus? I seem to remember I wrote a whole lot of shit about IncrementGlobal. Eew.

Not really. I basically decompile scripts and dialogues from IWD as I extract them, run some R_Ts, and then recompile for BG2. There's not really a clean way to handle BitGlobals, so some of them ended up being OR(32) triggers or something else equally awful.

Spells are a problem, but we may just shoot for conversion of the innates and use the BG2 system until we can get a more thorough treatment of them.

You might try contacting Seifer. I think that he performed some successful IWD-to-BG2 spell conversions for a kit (if I remember correctly).

aWL

Archived