Ideas for the Irenicus Fights

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

In the spellhold fight against irenicus he creates some clones to fight against you, however rather than use their class abilities against you they just run in with daggers. Wouldn't it be cool if they were given scripts and (at least generic) equipment that enabled them to fight like the classes they are.

Also wouldn't it be cool if Irenicus shifted back and forth between slayer and natural form in the final battle depending on whether he wanted to use spells or melee, rather than just lamely casting all his spells in slayer form.

And also, perhaps at least one the cowled wizard leaders you meet after continual breaking of the no-magic law should be added to the epic level wizard list for SoA.

If you've already implemented any of these things then ignore me, but last time i played through i don't remember them.

And also, perhaps at least one the cowled wizard leaders you meet after continual breaking of the no-magic law should be added to the epic level wizard list for SoA.
Zallanora? IIRC she's well over 30 lvl (demi-?)lich indeed.

Actually that reminds me Ardanis...

In the final cowled wizard encounter with Zallanora et al, in the vanilla game she normally shows up with another guy, Khollynus (sp?) Paac. But in my SCS2 playthroughs he hasn't appeared, it's just been Zallanora. Anyone else had this?

PS in response to the OP - like your idea of the "clones" being a bit more like clones. At the moment they're just cannon fodder, and not even good quality cannon fodder.

Hi,

In the spellhold fight against irenicus he creates some clones to fight against you, however rather than use their class abilities against you they just run in with daggers. Wouldn't it be cool if they were given scripts and (at least generic) equipment that enabled them to fight like the classes they are.

Yes, this is worth looking at.

Also wouldn't it be cool if Irenicus shifted back and forth between slayer and natural form in the final battle depending on whether he wanted to use spells or melee, rather than just lamely casting all his spells in slayer form.

I don't think so:

(i) The vanilla-game Irenicus can cast spells in slayer form, and SCS is mostly about improving the intelligence with which original game content is used, not changing it

(ii) it would make the encounter easier, not harder

For once I'm happy to have this be by majority vote, since I don't use that component personally and don't have a very coherent logic for it. Thoughts?

Hi,

Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe this would be fairly easy to do aswell since the clones can just be generic members of a class the same level, how does nyalee's mirror work? I haven't played through since she got that.

For once I'm happy to have this be by majority vote, since I don't use that component personally and don't have a very coherent logic for it. Thoughts?

Heres what I found with a quick google search,

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Zallanora_Argentresses

Seems Zallanora is in fact a demi-lich posing as an elf, I think it likely that Zallanora would have access to epic spells. Khollynnus Paac, less so.

By the way I am a huge fan of the 'selected mages get epic spells' component in both SoA and ToB. I wondered what your reasoning behind having the shade lich and elemental lich on the list was though, as I would have imagined unnamed liches might be considered less powerful.

Hi,

Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe this would be fairly easy to do aswell since the clones can just be generic members of a class the same level, how does nyalee's mirror work? I haven't played through since she got that.

It makes an exact copy of one of the PCs: there's nothing generic about it. I'll admit to being quite pleased with myself for arranging this! At a technical level, it basically works by manipulating the simulacrum spell. I could do that trick again if people think it would be interesting and I'm not over-using it. (Currently I do it once at Nyalee's mirror, and once in Durlag's Tower in BG1.)

Heres what I found with a quick google search,

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Zallanora_Argentresses

Seems Zallanora is in fact a demi-lich posing as an elf, I think it likely that Zallanora would have access to epic spells. Khollynnus Paac, less so.

Cool. I never knew that. Okay, sold: Zallanora makes it onto the epic list.

By the way I am a huge fan of the 'selected mages get epic spells' component in both SoA and ToB. I wondered what your reasoning behind having the shade lich and elemental lich on the list was though, as I would have imagined unnamed liches might be considered less powerful.

Basically that they're effectively "named" despite having a title rather than a name: they're unique creatures guarding a very powerful artifact and they're in the original game as part of a quest which, so far as I can see, is all about combat challenge.

However, my logic for the list is pretty shaky, so I'm amenable to changing it if people want.

The current list, incidentally, is

Alchra Diagott; Suneer; Irenicus (all forms); Shangalar; the Shade Lich; the Elemental Lich; Layene; Kangaxx the Lich; Lagole Gon.

Guest Guest_Loz_*

Oh i also remember these guys trying to make a getaway if you don't kill them fast enough in vanilla, might want to preserve that element in scsii.

The Shade and Elemental Liches in the Kangaxx quest are mentioned as having beaten Kangaxx when they were living wizards and split his body into pieces, IIRC. I don't recall if they themselves said it, or it was Kangaxx who says it before he attacks. So (if my recollection is indeed correct), based on the fact that they beat a Demilich and are therefore greatly powerful beings, they should remain on the epic wizards list.

Guest Guest_Loz_*

It would also be nice to see something more interesting happening at the tree of life battle, this is irenicus in his most pure(mage) form fighting with all his abilities, but last time i faced him he wasn't a huge challenge. I have recently been playing scs1 and just beat Daevorn, who I have to say was one of the coolest and most fun fights i've seen in baldur's gate 1/2 modded or unmodded(good job on that by the way!). He used his own lair so well to his advantage, it was so refreshing to see an enemy make such good use of his location and not just his 'powers'. Maybe irenicus could use the tree of life better. Perhaps teleporting around when he gets hurt, getting himself safe and summoning monsters and projected images of himself to send at the party.

Obviously these things would require work but no harm in throwing suggestions out there!

P.S. Another one of my favourite parts of scs was in the firewine ruins where i ran into the mage in the dungeon(who i'd forgotten about) and he vapourised my whole party by bouncing lightning bolts off the wall! I'd waited till i was a fairly decent level to go there so i wasn't expecting to face much of a challenge - next thing i know i'm reloading!

It makes an exact copy of one of the PCs: there's nothing generic about it. I'll admit to being quite pleased with myself for arranging this! At a technical level, it basically works by manipulating the simulacrum spell. I could do that trick again if people think it would be interesting and I'm not over-using it. (Currently I do it once at Nyalee's mirror, and once in Durlag's Tower in BG1.)

I have to say that even with the clone I didn't notice any more difficulty than usual in the fight. The shamblers have decent HP, but Clerics are so underwhelming...no PfMW or stoneskin :) The clone died in under 6 secs, so I never got to see if it actually had a script

If the mirror of opposition cloned your entire party, like the one in Durlags Tower did, now that would be challenging! I actually was forced to equip my weakest weapon for that fight in order to weaken Charname's clone...cheesy I know, but I was getting maimed! SCSI is in general much harder than SCSII, which is kinda understandable as the party has a lot more resources than the enemy even if identical level. Still, 99% of the fights have been fantastic! Just finished Marching Mts and Sendai...very tough!

Archived