Imoen's soundset in BGT

Greenhorn

I already posted this at SHS Dark side of the Sword coast forum, may as well here too. It seems there is incompatibility between this mod and DSotSC BGT version component Extended NPC soundsets, additions only. When I told Imoen that she sound strange she reverted from her mix of BG1 and Tob sounds to ToB only soundset. I have both of this mods in my current no EE, classic BWS. Is there any way to fix this?

ToB only? Do you mean BG1 only soundset? BG1NPC's voice fixing component rewrites the character sounds with BG1 sounds. If the sounds have been messed up, you need to fix every sound. So, even sounds that in BG1 would have been unassigned are given a sound by this component.

I suppose you could read_long each soundslot at install and dynamically build the soundlist for the "your voice is strange" option. Then, it could take into account any soundset mods installed *before* BG1NPC. I can't think of a way to make it work with soundsets installed after BG1NPC.

ToB only? Do you mean BG1 only soundset? BG1NPC's voice fixing component rewrites the character sounds with BG1 sounds. If the sounds have been messed up, you need to fix every sound. So, even sounds that in BG1 would have been unassigned are given a sound by this component.

I suppose you could read_long each soundslot at install and dynamically build the soundlist for the "your voice is strange" option. Then, it could take into account any soundset mods installed *before* BG1NPC. I can't think of a way to make it work with soundsets installed after BG1NPC.

Well, her sounds are post Spellhold Imoen after activating last option in her PID for BG1. And they are messed up, instead cheerful, reckless Imoen from the first part of the game, I got traumatised Imoen who speak nonsensical night , bad reputation and moral break comments when I order her to move. Here is what this component from BGT DSotSC do before being overrided by "correction" from BG1 NPC project:

Extended NPC Soundsets (BGT and Tutu)

This component primarily affects NPCs who appear in both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II (Edwin, Viconia, Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc). It allows them to use sounds from BG1 in BG2 and vice versa.
Example: Jaheira has only one battle cry in BG1: "For the fallen!" Bg2 jahera has 3 battle cries: "For The fallen!", "Fall creature! And feed the earth!" and "Nature take the life she gave!" This component adds the two BG2 battle cries to the BG1 Jaheira. If the BG1 and BG2 versions of the NPC have different sounds in the same slots, it's a collision, so the 3 subcomponents are:
a) Additions only: only empty strings are filled (soundsets will be slightly different between BG1 and BG2)
b) BG1 soundsets dominate: in both BG1 and BG2, sounds from BG1 prevail (consistent NPC soundsets for BGT).
c) BG2 soundsets dominate: in both BG1 and BG2, sounds from BG2 prevail (consistent NPC soundsets for BGT).
In BG1, interparty interaction was based not on banters, but rather on occasional chit-chat between party members - compliments and insults. They just happen from time to time and have no consequences. In addition, this component expands such interaction in BG1 and reintroduces compliments and insults in BG2.
Example:
Jaheira: "You are amusing, in a 'what the hell is wrong with you' kind of way."
Edwin: "Watch your words when addressing me, lest they be fed to you on the end of my boot!"
If this is too confusing, just choose "Additions only" :). If you have DSotSC installed, this will enable a few of the new banters between existing NPCs and DSotSC NPCs.
It appears this two things aren't compatible, at least in my current BWS install. Strange, I don't recall similar problems when last I played Easy TuTu, also with those mods ( or at least the same component from Dark side )...

Are you seeing the BG1 text with BG2 sounds?

Actually, yes, there was BG1 text with incorrect BG2 sounds, but alas, I deleted that game and started new one. :( Bad move, I guess...

Ah! That was the missing information I needed. At first, I assumed it was BG2 sounds and text, which I could not figure out how BG1NPC was doing, since the "your voice is strange" function specifically uses BG1 sounds and text.

So, the problem is that BG1NPC references the sounds like this "%tutu_var%IMOEN02". On BGT, this would resolve as "IMOEN02" since tutu_var = "" on BGT. But, on BGT IMOEN02 is the BG2 IMOEN02.wav file, not the BG1 file.

The "your voice is strange" command won't work correctly on any BGT install.

Are you seeing the BG1 text with BG2 sounds?

Actually, yes, there was BG1 text with incorrect BG2 sounds, but alas, I deleted that game and started new one. :( Bad move, I guess...

Ah! That was the missing information I needed. At first, I assumed it was BG2 sounds and text, which I could not figure out how BG1NPC was doing, since the "your voice is strange" function specifically uses BG1 sounds and text.

So, the problem is that BG1NPC references the sounds like this "%tutu_var%IMOEN02". On BGT, this would resolve as "IMOEN02" since tutu_var = "" on BGT. But, on BGT IMOEN02 is the BG2 IMOEN02.wav file, not the BG1 file.

The "your voice is strange" command won't work correctly on any BGT install.

Sorry for bad info. :( Still, this is one more conflict and information discovered, so I guess it wasn't all for nothing. :) That command won't work, at least for " big five" BGT NPC's. :D Maybe it would't be bad idea to put some warning about possible conflict. Thank you one more time for your help AstroBryGuy.

That command won't work, at least for " big five" BGT NPC's.

Are you sure about that... cause the Imoen in BGT-weidu is an particular exception as the two .cre's are named as they are now because they were restored to the BG2 original setup to avoid up the latter incompatibility(because of the BG1 and BG1->BG2 transition dialogs etc), which the Tutu didn't need to concern itself with as it could just overwrite the whole thing ... but the others are not.

That command won't work, at least for " big five" BGT NPC's.

Are you sure about that... cause the Imoen in BGT-weidu is an particular exception as the two .cre's are named as they are now because they were restored to the BG2 original setup to avoid up the latter incompatibility(because of the BG1 and BG1->BG2 transition dialogs etc), which the Tutu didn't need to concern itself with as it could just overwrite the whole thing ... but the others are not.

Hmm, now that you mention Imp, I'm not. Didn't checked the others for fear that I mess them up, too. I stand corrected. Thanks.

I don't quite get why "your voice is strange" is even needed in BG1 NPC Project, which is dialogue mod. There is no other way to change CRE voices than using SetPlayerSound. Does this mod uses this action? If yes - why?

It does use this action. It's been in the mod for 10 years, based on searching the forums.

Looks like the string fixer was added because people were having issues with character sounds being messed up, particularly when loading an old save on a reinstalled game.

Reference forum posts:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5477&hl=%2Bstring+%2Bfixer&do=findComment&comment=51823

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5269&page=2&hl=%2Bstring+%2Bfixer&do=findComment&comment=54270

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5876&hl=%2Bstring+%2Bfixer

I don't have access to the last link but based on what is mentioned in the first 2 topics this still doesn't make any sense to me.

string fixer was added because people were having issues with character sounds being messed up, particularly when loading an old save on a reinstalled game

if someone reinstalled game with mods in different order (or using mods that have been changed) without using the old TLK files than such saves are broken either way because other strings will have wrong references to TLK files too. Having something like this implemented directly in the dialogues of each NPC doesn't sound like a good idea unless I miss something.

And if "this usually happens when you use an old save after mod configuration had changed" means by simply reinstalling components than I don't think it's possible (unless BG1 NPC Project changes default NPC sound strings during installation and someone installs new version with updated translation - doubt it since nothing is mentioned about it in the readme file)

edit:

It is an issue because Tutu has dynamic string references. Normally if you copy a creature over (in BG2, say) then his strings for his sounds will be the same on both installs. With Tutu they won't necessarily be since the dialogue is appemded on; the strings are no longer 'fixed'. Which is why on peoples' machines other than mine their zombies may spout odd strings as combat sounds. I forgot to reassign the correct ones.

still don't quite get it, but if this is only Tutu related that I'd suggest removing "your voice is strange" option from PID dialogues on other platforms.

Archived