Just one opinion

Sergio

Hi,

Sorry for saying this but, although usually all the feedback is good in developing and trying to improve stuff, in this case, Sergio, you could not be more inopportune. This very mod has been waiting Version 4 for quite some time, cause its pretty good but it have compatibility issues. So, the thing is that when it appears that the release is near, you came up with new ideas, willing to change or discuss everything or whatever... Look, im sure that you have good intentions, and maybe is just MY feeling but it seems that you try to be a huge delaying factor. This is bad timing for criticism, really.

Its my opinion on this thread, and again sorry if I was mean or something.

Kind regards.

Hi,

Sorry for saying this but, although usually all the feedback is good in developing and trying to improve stuff, in this case, Sergio, you could not be more inopportune. This very mod has been waiting Version 4 for quite some time, cause its pretty good but it have compatibility issues. So, the thing is that when it appears that the release is near, you came up with new ideas, willing to change or discuss everything or whatever... Look, im sure that you have good intentions, and maybe is just MY feeling but it seems that you try to be a huge delaying factor. This is bad timing for criticism, really.

Its my opinion on this thread, and again sorry if I was mean or something.

Kind regards.

Heh, what I can say. You are right, I could be delaying the release, but until yesterday I didn't know this mod existed. XD

Oh well..

Feedback is always welcome but it is true that the timing is really off.

This V4 has been in the works for years and the development took a bad turn so I think Demi's original comeback plan is the way to go.

There might be a V5 some day but it is more important to make sure there is going to be a V4.

Feedback is always welcome but it is true that the timing is really off.

This V4 has been in the works for years and the development took a bad turn so I think Demi's original comeback plan is the way to go.

There might be a V5 some day but it is more important to make sure there is going to be a V4.

Just to reassure you guys, I have no intention of delaying V4 for a bunch of changes to specific items. Actually, if it was for me I considered V4 closed 5 months ago when I sent Arda the unreleased version that some players found on git.

Short story: a new official release for both IR and SR is my top priority.

Adalon is a Silver Dragon, not a White Dragon.

Sorry, but does that change the thing? The scales you find cover you from cold. Adalon attacks are based on cold.

Are you telling me that silver dragon plates would have different attributes? Isn't that just an overisght by the developers?

A) Delver's Plate +2

May I ask where can I find delver's plate?

B) Deep Guardian's Plate +4

-> Spell Level Immunity: 1st and 2nd level spells are unable to affect the wearer

Do you think that is cool? I mean, what are the spells that can actually endanger you that are around 1st and 2nd level?

C)Shuruppak's Plate +5

Do I remember bad, or this one is the armor worn by Yaga-shura? Is it just me thinking that the bosses armor are anonymous? O.o

D) Casiel's soul

Well done on this. It is amazing. I would just make it a little bit stronger. After all, the death knight using it should be a favourite of Demogorgon. Am I wrong?

E) Helm of glory and helm of darkness.

Got a question. You said helm of darkness is the evil version of the helm of glory. what about adding an opposite power on it?

F) Helm of brilliance.

I would definitely change every feature you've given to this helm with that aura you talk about on the notes.

[spoiler ALERT; DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED PLANESCAPE TORMENT. JUST SKIP TO LETTER H)]

G) Shadow helm. Changed from Vhailor's helm

We both know that Vhailor was a strange creature form planescape torment. He was pure justice incarnated. What about giving the helm an ability to improve the damage you do to evil creatures, based on how much evil they are (sort of like the equalizer I guess). Up to you

H) Amulet of power.

I wonder. This amulet is called "amulet of power". I would sub the effect you've given it with:

- a damage improvement to spells

or

- a bonus when it comes to learning spell + one extra spell for higher levels (so not 1 to 4th levels, but 8th to 9th levels)

I) Amulet of seldarine.

You said that you would like to sub the Magic Resistance with something better. I would sub everything you've made.

The amulet should have a passive power called "seldarine' blessing" to it. Up to you the effects.

Maybe a chance of a divine intervention by them when things get grim? And by the way, together with divine intervention I would add a +x when it came to saving throws.

L)Gargoyle Boots

Increased AC would help them.

M) Gauntlets of Crushing

Would add a bonus to golem crushing.

N)Bracers of Blinding Strike

Why no ability to blind the enemy when you attack them?

O) Bracers of Speed

Don't you think you may have gone a bit far with the fatiguing effect? 5% is not much, I guess...

P) Nature's Vengeance

I think that the 5 hp damage is too low. I don't know.

Shouldn't you buff it? Right now it seems kinda useless...

or

you could make it so when the person that has this cloak get hit, there is a chance wolf (according to your level) could spawn to help you

Q) Pearly White Ioun Stone

This seems forgettable. I mean, why would the stone just give me the chance to morph only one time on a day.

And by the way, if the regeneration is so "light" I find it hard to believe that it could have a noticeable effect on the characters wearing it.

B) Deep Guardian's Plate +4

-> Spell Level Immunity: 1st and 2nd level spells are unable to affect the wearer

Do you think that is cool? I mean, what are the spells that can actually endanger you that are around 1st and 2nd level?

Being the target of some of these spells is kinda deadly as a few of these are save or die spells. Well or get stunned. And even if you are not along with 10 friends(monsters) coming at you for that x rounds while having 6 HPs, they can still be very well deadly:

Agannazar's Scorcher, Deafness, Ghoul Touch, Glitterdust, Horror, Melf's Acid Arrow, Power Word: Sleep, Ray of Enfeeblement, Stinking Cloud, Web, Blindness, Burning Hands, Charm Person, Chromatic Orb, Color Spray, Grease, Larloch's Minor Drain, Magic Missile, Sleep, Spook. Thant's half of the level 1 and 2 spells.

H) Amulet of power.

I wonder. This amulet is called "amulet of power". I would sub the effect you've given it with:

- a damage improvement to spells

or

- a bonus when it comes to learning spell + one extra spell for higher levels (so not 1 to 4th levels, but 8th to 9th levels)

By the time the player gets this item, you can't cast 8th or 9th level spells. And the damage add to spells is actually impossible to do in this engine, unless you wish to go with the spell casting level increase, and there's really not much of a point on that.

Are you telling me that silver dragon plates would have different attributes? Isn't that just an overisght by the developers?

Both Silver and White Dragons use cold breath attacks, but that pretty much all they have in common (apart draconic features) in PnP. One is good, other evil, one is smart, other half idiot etc. White Dragons are one of the weakest dragons.

May I ask where can I find delver's plate?

An orc fighter near Tazok in Firkraag's lair.

D) Casiel's soul

I would just make it a little bit stronger.

I really disagree that this armor needs buffs. Hands down, probably the single best armor in SoA.

Nature's Vengeance

you could make it so when the person that has this cloak get hit, there is a chance wolf (according to your level) could spawn to help you

This is possible, but why on earth would you summon a wolf in BG2, when you can summon much better creatures? Remember that there is a 5 summons cap. So you could theoretically have 5 wolves, and no room for a Planetar, or a Wish Genie.

And by the way, if the regeneration is so "light" I find it hard to believe that it could have a noticeable effect on the characters wearing it.

Here I agree. 1/12 sec is indeed very slow. Personally, I'd buff all 1/12 sec regeneration items to 1/9 sec. Not as good as Ring of Regeneration, but still noticable.

Nature's Vengeance

This is possible, but why on earth would you summon a wolf in BG2, when you can summon much better creatures? Remember that there is a 5 summons cap. So you could theoretically have 5 wolves, and no room for a Planetar, or a Wish Genie.

That is if the wolf's gender is Summoned, now if it's not, there can be thousands of them. Ouh, and Sergio intends to use summon cap remover, so.

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but here're few thoughts.

So, maybe I'm wrong (after all the mod isn't mine) but you should try to buff stuff to make it possible to actually have a choice when it comes to equipment.

From my own playing experience, I've repeatedly found myself hoarding 80% of the IR items instead of selling them as in vanilla - even mediocre things like +1 weapons/armors. Because I always felt they could come in handy at some point.

Or do you mean that while IR offers a lot of special purpose stuff, it nonetheless lacks much choice in mainstream equipment that is used by default most of the time?

Gauntlets of Healing

I know already that If I want to use a spell I'll use a cleric and if I wanted the regeneration effect, I would just go for the ring of regeneration. Why should I choose this gauntlet for my paladin? I see no reason. They are not worth it.

This is an early game item, and regen is a valuable bonus then. Even if you have two rings, you still have only two party members covered. For supporting clerics it's a perfectly good item even in ToB, as they haven't got much better alternative options anyway.

-The ring. If I've got a ring that has 50% mr it will be always better than a ring that gives me 50% resistance to fire. High mr will shield me for everything, including fire. Am I wrong?

Only fire spells, and not all of them. E.g. Fireshield bypasses MR, as do Sunfire and Dragon's Breath spells.

N)Bracers of Blinding Strike
Why no ability to blind the enemy when you attack them?

They're blindingly fast, not inflicting blindness.

This seems forgettable. I mean, why would the stone just give me the chance to morph only one time on a day.

The value of slow regen comes from full recovery during the sleep or distant travels. It's meant to save you healing spells/potions after you wake up (which is very useful in chapters 2-3), not completely restore health between two battles in a dungeon.

G) Shadow helm. Changed from Vhailor's helm
We both know that Vhailor was a strange creature form planescape torment. He was pure justice incarnated. What about giving the helm an ability to improve the damage you do to evil creatures, based on how much evil they are (sort of like the equalizer I guess). Up to you

He was LN Mercykiller fighter, not LG paladin.

P) Nature's Vengeance
I think that the 5 hp damage is too low. I don't know.
Shouldn't you buff it? Right now it seems kinda useless...

Stack it with other damage-on-hit items and enemies will drop themselves by attacking you. It's more of a "character build" item.
Otherwise Entangle on hit would be fitting the name as well.

I) Amulet of seldarine.
You said that you would like to sub the Magic Resistance with something better. I would sub everything you've made.
The amulet should have a passive power called "seldarine' blessing" to it. Up to you the effects.

Maybe a chance of a divine intervention by them when things get grim? And by the way, together with divine intervention I would add a +x when it came to saving throws.

Divine Intervention is near impossible to implement, even with EE engine.

cut

> Or do you mean that while IR offers a lot of special purpose stuff, it nonetheless lacks much choice in mainstream equipment that is used by default most of the time?

Wouldn't that be a positive, at least judging from the fact that you use that 80%? What I wanted to say is that there is nothing to make that strikes me as outstandingly good. Point taken.

> He was LN Mercykiller fighter, not LG paladin.

Would that change much?

> Divine Intervention is near impossible to implement, even with EE engine.

What did refinements do? I do not know how divine intervention works in refinement, but would you kindly take a look at it? I mean, I've never used it and so please, no spoiler - just check it for yourself - and then tell me your opinion if it can be used or not.

##############

Another question; I was checking this mod: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/41865-item-pack-v18/

Will it basically disrupt your own balance? ;)

Divine Intervention is near impossible to implement, even with EE engine.

That totally depends on which rule set you want to make it according to.

I would make it a rather limited wish like construct if it was just me... but that's just me throwing things.

cut

> Or do you mean that while IR offers a lot of special purpose stuff, it nonetheless lacks much choice in mainstream equipment that is used by default most of the time?

Wouldn't that be a positive, at least judging from the fact that you use that 80%? What I wanted to say is that there is nothing to make that strikes me as outstandingly good. Point taken.

What Arda was saying is that IR tries to make each and every item valuable in some way. On a vanilla install you already knew the few items you really wanted to get, and easily sold everything else. Within IR you'll find it much harder to discard even mid-tier items because they may be extremely useful on particular situations or combinations.

Regarding the supposed lack of top-tier outstanding items, if you look more carefully you will notice that all extraordinary specimen are still very powerful (e.g. Celestial Fury is as good as before, Crom Fayer is actually better, the Silver Sword is slightly better, etc.), to the point where many veteran players would still call them almost OP. I do "fixed" broken/exploitable things like Staff of the Magi's infinite invisibility, but even the most heavily nerfed items like the Holy Avenger are still ridiculously good.

Another question; I was checking this mod: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/41865-item-pack-v18/

Will it basically disrupt your own balance? ;)

Unlike most item mods I think that one is well made, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it alongside IR. When it comes to its components I'd say the following:

1. 45 new items seems really excessive on a game already filled with too much magic stuff imo

2. IR already does similar things, including an extra chunk of illithium to upgrade the Mace of Disruption

3. this clearly overlaps with the changes applied by IR

4. IR pretty much does the same

5. IR does similar things (new bams, recolored items, new animations, etc.)

6. this kinda goes against IR's Store Revisions

7. I don't know if this is compatible with IR

8. ...

9. ...

10. I planned ages ago to take advantages of +% dmg from ToBEx, sooner or later I will

Archived