Doubts regarding EET =]

Meaningless

Heya!

First of all, thanks to K4thos and everybody else who contributes to this amazing accomplishment!

I've read (and tried to understand) most of the topics and infos, still some doubts before I do something regretable ^^

1 - Say I've edited a few tables, spells, dialog.tlk and etc, have many files laying around in my override(s) or even made a new bif for the data folder and indexed within chitin.key, does that effect either game (BG1 or 2) outcome when applying EET? (AKA are my edits going to work, be ported together?)

2 - It didn't got completely clear to me if I should install most mods before or after the completion of EET install. I would like if it was after, so I ask: As long as I know (more or less) which files the mods are altering and what could fubar what, should I be safe to install after EET is complete, mods for both BG1 and 2? (AKA is there any unprecedent issue that makes the same old mod-install process somehow more complicated after EET?)

3 - Not the place to ask this but I will :D - Never looked in-depth at GUIs, are these "interchangeable"? Could I start the game in BG1 classic GUI, then at SoD install a proper GUI, and in BG2 again install (or revert) to BG2 GUI, anyway, you all know what I'm getting at, playing the saga with the art/style of GUIs changing at major points.

Thanks again and kudos to those spendind a little time to read & answer :)

Heya!

First of all, thanks to K4thos and everybody else who contributes to this amazing accomplishment!

I've read (and tried to understand) most of the topics and infos, still some doubts before I do something regretable ^^

1 - Say I've edited a few tables, spells, dialog.tlk and etc, have many files laying around in my override(s) or even made a new bif for the data folder and indexed within chitin.key, does that effect either game (BG1 or 2) outcome when applying EET? (AKA are my edits going to work, be ported together?)

2 - It didn't got completely clear to me if I should install most mods before or after the completion of EET install. I would like if it was after, so I ask: As long as I know (more or less) which files the mods are altering and what could fubar what, should I be safe to install after EET is complete, mods for both BG1 and 2? (AKA is there any unprecedent issue that makes the same old mod-install process somehow more complicated after EET?)

3 - Not the place to ask this but I will :D - Never looked in-depth at GUIs, are these "interchangeable"? Could I start the game in BG1 classic GUI, then at SoD install a proper GUI, and in BG2 again install (or revert) to BG2 GUI, anyway, you all know what I'm getting at, playing the saga with the art/style of GUIs changing at major points.

Thanks again and kudos to those spendind a little time to read & answer :)

1. EET requires a clean (i.e. unmodded BG2EE) game. It imports files from a modded BGEE game (compatible with the list of mods feasible for BGEE in EET). If you did some own modifications on the BGEE part before applying EET, it will depend on what changes exactly you made (e.g. if you tweaked some scripts that will work, removing some resource needed in EET of course will not work.

2. You install BG1 mods on BGEE before applying EET on BG2EE - you install BG2 mods on BG2EE after EET - you finalize EET installation with EET_end after everything else is installed. You may probably install your own set of tweaks by way of additional mod in that sequence, but that probably require some additional work from your side.

3. EET uses BG2EE GUI - in the EET_End installation you can select an alternative GUI. You may switch between the two by installing/de-installing EET_End (which is the last mod of EET anyway). There are modders currently experimenting with offering additional options - keep your eyes open for their news.

PS Messing with dialogue.tlk is normally creating a mess anyway when using the file on any other game and modding that game afterwards...

What I've changed mostly in my BG2 are the classes (their tables/abilties), and many already existing entries in the dialog.tlk, with a few lines added. Can I expect EET to install if it finds scripts/DLGs/areas/CREs/STO in the state it needs? Does it overwrite files instead of append/patch? (in a case by case)

you finalize EET installation with EET_end after everything else is installed

Is it because EET_end makes changes to the internal structure (of chapters among other things?) that causes post-EET mod installs to be risky due to the changes in sctructure?
I should probably read the "Converting existing mods to support EET" to try understanding it further, but if you could clarify some of this, please.

Thank you very much Roxanne! :hug:

Probably, but that implies a lot of hours learning weidu, coding, fixing, testing (hence repeat). Not avid to invest that time as I mod mostly for myself, outside of weidu I can probably fix my own game no matter the issue (maybe even help bugfixing a bit), but reducing my amount of things to fix/worry later is key, so proper install concerns me greatly.

BTW, I'm assuming classes/tables/spells/etc from BG2 take priority on top of (and kinda overwrite) those from BG1, since EET runs on BG2.

What I've changed mostly in my BG2 are the classes (their tables/abilties), and many already existing entries in the dialog.tlk, with a few lines added.

You should probably put your modifications into weidu format to be honest, it'd make all of this much easier to give advice for. It all depends on what you modify and how.

This is hard to answer on a global basis. For example EET merges some 2da's to have all BG1 and 2 entries in them. No idea how it will react to your modifications if it finds them when trying to install. With respect to dialogue.tlk, EET uses the BG2 version and appends first the BG1+BG!modadded strings to it and then provides it for the BG2 mods to append to it.

One thing to keep in mind is that the EET world grows daily with the addition of more and more mods becoming compliant with the new game. Consider that you may want to install the game more than once when new stuff becomes available. It is really a very good investment to put your modification into the form of a private mini-mod which you can install on BG2EE after you have done everything else and just before you run EET-end.

(I had something like that for years on old BGT.)

Hmmm you people are tempting me to join the side of light, stop that beforte it works! :cool:

Tables are relatively fast/easy to check and compare by hand, what I truly needed is more knowledge about how EET does its thing and how to make the regular content easier to insert in it, guess I have a better idea now so thanks both of you (and everybody else around here).

I'll probably come back running with my hands on fire and asking somebody to put it out, but not today... not today...

Once you get weidu down problems like this would not be as big a deal because you can install and reinstall at will.

If you get this working now with your custom tweaks when a game update or new version of EET or whatever and you would have to hack everything together again at that point.

Better to use weidu.

Hmmm you people are tempting me to join the side of light, stop that beforte it works! :cool:

Tables are relatively fast/easy to check and compare by hand, what I truly needed is more knowledge about how EET does its thing and how to make the regular content easier to insert in it, guess I have a better idea now so thanks both of you (and everybody else around here).

Why not just keep copies of your personally edited files somewhere, install EET and all mods you want on a fresh game, and then when everything's done you put your own stuff in? This is a hassle if you have an edited dialog.tlk file full of changed entries of course, but for spells, 2das and so on it can be done very quickly.

Archived