trying to install on iOS

subtledoctor

Just want to say up-front, I don't mean for this post to sound overly critical, I'm just reporting on a fairly unsophisticated user's attempts to get this working on an iPad.

I have an iPad Mini 2, with iOS 8.1 jailbroken. I based my attempts to get some infinity engine action on it from the gemrb wiki page. The page is a bit confusing - some information seems out of date, some is actually crossed out, etc. I went to the iOS page on sourceforge, but the only download for 0.8.2 is the source code itself, which I don't know how to compile. So I found below it, what seems to be a pre-compiled .ipa file of gemrb 0.8.1. I downloaded it and double-clicked it, and it put itself into my iTunes. So far, so good.

In iTunes 12.1, it gives me the option install the gemrb app to the iPad, like any other app. This surprised me, since the wiki instructions say that it should be installed via AppSync and/or Installous. I tried the simple way, with iTunes, and gemrb showed up on my iPad. But, it seems dark, with a different hue from a normal app. And it doesn't show up as an app that can be used with iTunes File Sharing. When I tap the app icon on the iPad, it says "installing..." and then stays that way forever. Nothing happens after that.

Maybe that is not how the app needs to be loaded onto the iPad... but the problem is, there is no onger any such thing as AppSync or Installous. Google searches for them and iOS 8.1 only turn up some really scammy-looking web pages. I've tried searching in Cydia but I haven't found anything that looks useful.

So, is there an accepted, *current* way to get gemrb onto a jailbroken iPad? 'Cause I'm not finding one.

Sorry, but there just aren't any more recent builds. Brad's build slave has been offline for a long while and things have changed both on the ios and gemrb side.

So unfortunately, unless you're willing to build it yourself, it will have to wait.

What lynx says is accurate, but its completely trivial to build yourself (if you have access to a mac) just open the project and change the target to "iOS" and hit the build button.

Yesterday Apple announced that you will be able to build for your own device without a developer certificate (you will need an apple id still), so jailbreaking for GemRB is no longer a requirement if you build yourself. since jailbreaking isnt required, you can simply install on your ipad via itunes/xcode.

Ah - you mean build in Xcode! No problem.

Wait, problem. Xcode is only available through the App Store, and it's been updated to only work with Yosemite, but I refuse to upgrade from Mountain Lion. So when I try to download Xcode it won't let me. Stupid Apple...

Ah - you mean build in Xcode! No problem.

Wait, problem. Xcode is only available through the App Store, and it's been updated to only work with Yosemite, but I refuse to upgrade from Mountain Lion. So when I try to download Xcode it won't let me. Stupid Apple...

Fortunately, your information is quite false :). You can download a version of Xcode that works on older systems directly from Apple here: https://developer.apple.com/downloads/

Hello,

sorry for Hijacking the thread, but the topic is the same, so I thought....

I try to build gemrb for IOS 10.2 and I run into a failure I cannot solve myself. I am at a complete loss.

Mind you, as I hardly know what I am doing here, it's quite possible that I did something wrong.

Thanks for any advice :)

Xcode 8 on MacOS 10.12. Latest GIT-Checkout.

Line "return SDLVideoDriver::PollEvents();"

gives me:

~/Documents/xcode/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/SDL20Video.cpp:263:3: Cannot initialize object parameter of type 'GemRB::SDLVideoDriver' with an expression of type 'GemRB::SDL20VideoDriver'

Now I get a whole lot of different errors and I can't remember changing anything...I feel so noob with that Xcode. It was so easy with Unix and GCC. ;)

I start with a clean set from scratch and come back, no point in debugging right now, I think.

What are the (full) dependencies for the Xcode Project that comes with the source if I want to build for IOS 10.2 ? I could not find anything in the READMEs and all other information is very outdated.

SDL2, Freetype2, Python2.7,libarchive? What else?

EDIT:

This time I tried the other way round: Instead of including everything, I dropped all headers into gemrb/includes. This got me going quite well up to a strange error: It does not like "sleep (1);":

As this sleep seems to be a workaround, I commented it, to continue testing... I will continue to test tomorrow. Too tired now.

CompileC /Users/jts/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GemRB-fqzwoeqzngqxakbhuogcduktbgqd/Build/Intermediates/GemRB.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/GemRB\ iOS.build/Objects-normal/i386/SDL20Video.o /Users/jts/Documents/xcode/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/SDL20Video.cpp normal i386 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
    cd /Users/jts/Documents/xcode/gemrb/gemrb/apple
    export LANG=en_US.US-ASCII
    export PATH="/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang -x c++ -arch i386 -fmessage-length=0 -fdiagnostics-show-note-include-stack -fmacro-backtrace-limit=0 -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -O0 -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-missing-prototypes -Wunreachable-code -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wno-overloaded-virtual -Wno-exit-time-destructors -Wno-format -Wno-missing-braces -Wparentheses -Wswitch -Wunused-function -Wunused-label -Wunused-parameter -Wunused-variable -Wunused-value -Wempty-body -Wuninitialized -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pedantic -Wno-shadow -Wno-four-char-constants -Wno-conversion -Wconstant-conversion -Wint-conversion -Wbool-conversion -Wenum-conversion -Wsign-compare -Wshorten-64-to-32 -Wnewline-eof -Wno-c++11-extensions -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator10.2.sdk -fasm-blocks -fstrict-aliasing -Wdeprecated-declarations -Winvalid-offsetof -mios-simulator-version-min=10.2 -g -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Wno-sign-conversion -Wno-infinite-recursion -Wno-move -I -I../gemrb -I../gemrb/core -I../gemrb/includes -I/Users/jts/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GemRB-fqzwoeqzngqxakbhuogcduktbgqd/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/include -I../gemrb/includes -Iios/lib/include -Iios/lib/include/SDL -Iios/lib/include/python -I/Users/jts/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GemRB-fqzwoeqzngqxakbhuogcduktbgqd/Build/Intermediates/GemRB.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/GemRB\ iOS.build/DerivedSources/i386 -I/Users/jts/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GemRB-fqzwoeqzngqxakbhuogcduktbgqd/Build/Intermediates/GemRB.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/GemRB\ iOS.build/DerivedSources -F/Users/jts/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GemRB-fqzwoeqzngqxakbhuogcduktbgqd/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator -DTARGET_OS_IPHONE -isystem ./ -DSTATIC_LINK -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -W -Wextra -DTARGET_OS_MAC=0 -MMD -MT dependencies -MF /Users/jts/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GemRB-fqzwoeqzngqxakbhuogcduktbgqd/Build/Intermediates/GemRB.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/GemRB\ iOS.build/Objects-normal/i386/SDL20Video.d --serialize-diagnostics /Users/jts/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GemRB-fqzwoeqzngqxakbhuogcduktbgqd/Build/Intermediates/GemRB.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/GemRB\ iOS.build/Objects-normal/i386/SDL20Video.dia -c /Users/jts/Documents/xcode/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/SDL20Video.cpp -o /Users/jts/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GemRB-fqzwoeqzngqxakbhuogcduktbgqd/Build/Intermediates/GemRB.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/GemRB\ iOS.build/Objects-normal/i386/SDL20Video.o

/Users/jts/Documents/xcode/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/SDL20Video.cpp:712:6: error: use of undeclared identifier 'sleep'
                                        sleep(1);
                                        ^
1 error generated.

What I did until here:

Project GemRB:

Added SDL2-Framework

Build only Active arch Debug -> No

Copied SDL-2.0.5 includes to gemrb/includes

Same for Python, Freetype, lib archive

Copied uikit (From SDL2/src/video) into subfolder SDL

Same for sdl_keyboard.h

Dependency information is not outdated and the readme points you to it. SDL2, python and zlib are mandatory, then you'll want either openal or sdl_mixer2 for audio. The included xcode project was set up manually, so I don't know how up-to-date it is, though I also don't remember many filename changes recently.

you could try generating a fresh xcode project with cmake — perhaps it works now.

Archived