EET

19 replies to this topic

#16 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• Modders
  • 2041 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

I think it's a perfectly fine idea, as a mod. It just seems out of place for something included in EET proper. (As was implied in an earlier post, I think.)

Unless k4thos wants to do that kind of editorializing, in which case, it's his project so I would defer to hus preferences. This is just my 2 cents on tbe matter.

If the mod was called Roxanne's EET Tweaks and Fixes and I wouldn't argue. But the name is EET Fixpack giving it an official touch and therefore I'd expect a more bugfixing-based and less opinion-based approach concerning the content.

This in a way applies to all the fixes.

The ToB chapter change one comes directly out of the Sandrah mod where I discovered the problem and then I added it to to Amber when a similar problem appeared with testing her. Some time later, jastey discovered the same problem with one of her mods, so she added something in her mod.

So the idea was that it may happen also on other occasions and it would be a nice idea to make this a global patch instead of needing it done in every mod that uses chapter references in ToB. And if some modder is unaware of it, then there may be a failure in his mod...

Same for the Black Pit one. I found it while developing the Black Pit access from BG1 mini-quest and repaired it there. Later I found a similar report from someone playing the standalone campaign in EET and it worked after he used my fix. Again I thought it would be a good idea to share it.

I know of four mods that make references in one way or other to Mae'Var as having delivered the protagonist to Irenicus. Those mods may add the reference to the transition scene to achieve continuity. Again the idea was rather to share it than to do it in four (or even more) places.

You have convinced me that such a central effort is not needed. All the issues can be solved by those who think they need it.

As there are no issues left afterwards, the fixpack idea can be trashed.

I will close this topic.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#17 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 7217 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:28 PM

Again I thought it would be a good idea to share it.

It is. But making a "Fixpack" - that gets applied automatically by BWS for the installation of EET as you did here - sets different measures as to what should be included. It makes it a community project where different people can, and should, contribute.
Different people means different opinions. Different opinions leads to discussions.

Have a look at what Ardanis wrote here about the abduction scene in SoD, calling the hooded figures "faceless goons" in his design doc. Also, there are players (at least one) who imagines the thieves abducting the PC to be rogue Shadow Thieves under Bodhi's influence, which makes just as much sense.

Using Mae'Var here is your and mine opinion. Including it into a Mod that is "included by BWS or EET-Setup tool installations" and therefore "automatically applied" is forcing this opinion onto other players, no matter how good and useful the other fixes in the mod are.

This mod is supposed to be a centralized fixpack of which players and modders would benefit both. If you don't share the opinion that agreeing on the content of such a mod should be a community effort but want to decide the content on your own then your mod does not fulfill these criteria and needs to be made optional.

#18 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• Modders
  • 2041 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:24 PM

rogue Shadow Thieves under Bodhi's influence,

Bodhi either turns them into vampires (all those nameless fledgling vampires in her service) or gives some to Irenicus for his *experiments*. Offering them a better occupation in her service, as it is promised in those letters you find on dead shadow thieves that resist her offer, is a lie by which she allures them. At the moment they agree to join her, they are no longer shadow thieves.

Anyway, the discussion has become useless, because after deleting or moving into mods that need them all those *fixes* that have been identified so far, nothing is left for an "EET-Fixpack". At least at this moment, it is obviously not needed.

I will propose those candidates that are not yet proposed to K4thos EET github and see what happens.

This is good news because it shows how solid a product EET really is.

Edited by Roxanne, 26 April 2018 - 10:25 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#19 CamDawg

CamDawg

Just a simple country Hyper-Chicken

• Gibberling Poobah
  • 9424 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:39 AM

I believe the objection is not to the content, execution, or concept; it's a semantics objection to the term 'fixes' or 'fixpack'. You're welcome to browse back to the old, old, old posts in the BG2 Fixpack forum to see why G3 in particular might have sensitivity on the issue.

Personally, I get an eye twitch whenever I see a mod list something as a fix and the documentation is inevitably some variant of "I didn't like how this worked".

I came here with a simple dream: a dream of killing all humans. And this is how it must end? Who's the real seven billion ton robot monster here? Not I. Not... I.

#20 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• Modders
  • 2041 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

I believe the objection is not to the content, execution, or concept; it's a semantics objection to the term 'fixes' or 'fixpack'. You're welcome to browse back to the old, old, old posts in the BG2 Fixpack forum to see why G3 in particular might have sensitivity on the issue.

Personally, I get an eye twitch whenever I see a mod list something as a fix and the documentation is inevitably some variant of "I didn't like how this worked".

I am aware of those semantics and I would have been happy to come up with a better name, but since there is no more content now for the *whatever-the-name*, these are academic considerations.

I am not happy about what was done with e.g. BWFixpack - but with EET we have the situation that a) for each fix there is a corresponding PR in the EET github and b) K4thos may or may not pick those issues up some day.

But for the moment, there is no further action expected.

The Sandrah Saga

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EET

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users