Mod Idea - No idea how to even start making it

Sarge945

So I find that Infinity Engine games tend to encourage a lot of saving-and-reloading. Scribing scrolls, rolling to rest, rolling to pickpocket etc. It sort of encourages a bad sort of "quicksave-quickload-quickload-quickload-got it" type of play. I know this is a discipline thing, but I still personally find it very hard to resist doing it.

I was wondering if it would therefore be possible to create an ironman mod - no manual saving, autosaves every 5-10 minutes in the same slot.

I was also looking to have some options such as only allowing resting in taverns/inns, or implementing the camping system from Pillars of Eternity.

Would this even be possible at all in the Infinity engine? Am I a silly person for even thinking this would be a good idea?

I was also looking to have some options such as only allowing resting in taverns/inns, or implementing the camping system from Pillars of Eternity.

Possible yes. The areas just need to be flagged as "guarded". But that sometimes kills playability as you don't have wait -x- hours commands.

The spell scrolls issue is solved by making it not possible to fail to learn the spell via a optional mod component. The others have similar solutions... if you like such.

Am I a silly person for even thinking this would be a good idea?

Yes. You either play non-reload game, or you don't. It's not worth to try to get people to swallow bad rolls, if they don't like them.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

As Jarno says, saving in an area can be disabled with a flag. So you could run a regexp patch to add the flag to every area in the game, then script a timed save in the master game script baldur.bcs. You'd probably need to provide some way for folks to make a hard-point save for when they're done playing for the day, though.

Resting is a little trickier--while there is a 'can't rest' flag for areas, it's not really well-enforced by the engine. If you sleep in Waukeen's Promenade, for example, you get interrupted by a guard who tells you to clear off. However, if you mash the sleep button one of them eventually gets through and allows you to sleep.

As Jarno says, saving in an area can be disabled with a flag. So you could run a regexp patch to add the flag to every area in the game, then script a timed save in the master game script baldur.bcs. You'd probably need to provide some way for folks to make a hard-point save for when they're done playing for the day, though.

Resting is a little trickier--while there is a 'can't rest' flag for areas, it's not really well-enforced by the engine. If you sleep in Waukeen's Promenade, for example, you get interrupted by a guard who tells you to clear off. However, if you mash the sleep button one of them eventually gets through and allows you to sleep.

Awesome! Now I just have to actually know what any of that means :(

"A Place to Save" can be accomplished by making Taverns "safe save" points. Maybe force a save every time you sleep in an inn.

Edited by Sarge945