Problem with DVD edition.

Guest wysek

Hi!

I was trying to run BG1, on my Lenovo R61 (with Vista...).

I've done everything like you said, but while running I have a problem:

"An Assertion failed in D:\Dev\chitin\ChVideo.cpp at line number 4256

Programmer says: No valid video modes supported."

So I thought that Widescreen Mod will help me ('cause my notebook can't display things in 640x480) but I also failed...

WeiDU v 20400 Log

Install Component [Widescreen Mod]?

nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit?

Installing [Widescreen Mod]

Creating 1 directory

Enter your X coordinate. It should be a number, >= 640.

Enter your Y coordinate. It should be a number, >= 480.

800 x 600.

Are you sure? Y/N

Copying and patching 1 file ...

[bgmain2.exe] loaded, 4923392 bytes

FAILURE:

EXE patching failed.

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR: [bgmain2.exe] -> [bgmain2.exe] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("EXE patching failed."))

ERROR Installing [Widescreen Mod], rolling back to previous state

[widescreen/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

Will uninstall 0 files for [WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2] component 0.

Uninstalled 0 files for [WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2] component 0.

ERROR: Failure("EXE patching failed.")

PLEASE post the contents of the file SETUP-WIDESCREEN.DEBUG to this forum: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=136

Using Language [English]

[English] has 1 top-level TRA files

[widescreen/tra/english/setup.tra] has 26 translation strings

I understand that this is caused by version, but I'm pretty sure it's up to date.

ANY HOPER FOR ME ?

CHEERS

PS This is my only working computer at home, that's why I'm so desperate.

Yes, it's in my home language Polish, but now I also discovered weird thing.

I installed patches for english version and I have same problem with bgmain2.exe

(bgmain2.exe from bioware site)

[i performed whole installation with those Vista tips, but maybe it's still some windows problem]

bgmain2.exe from:

http://downloads.bioware.com/baldursgate1/BGTalesDX8Intl.exe

and

http://downloads.bioware.com/baldursgate1/...sDX8English.exe

I have previous patch also installed.

Now I understand, I had dx8 version of BG and that was the problem, but still I can't use your mod cause it changes only resolution of some parts and my display cannot use 640x480 :/ Unfortunately intro,menu, etc. are still in original resolution. I thought that it changes a resolution globally.

Thanks for help and sorry for troubles.

Now I understand, I had dx8 version of BG and that was the problem, but still I can't use your mod cause it changes only resolution of some parts and my display cannot use 640x480 :/ Unfortunately intro,menu, etc. are still in original resolution. I thought that it changes a resolution globally.

Thanks for help and sorry for troubles.

It's supposed to be like that - all screens, except the main game one, are forced to the upper left corner.

No, the movies are always the same resolution, else a drastic reduction of quality.

The menu shouldn't be, at least, it isn't for me.

Have you tried using the BGConfig to alter the resolution, to something like 1280x768? And then running in windowed mode, because that solves a lot of problems for me, as well.

Icen

the bigg:

If there are no elements in low res, I don't understand why I have this message about not supported video mode.

Icendoan:

I'm trying to use it with BG1, in that config i can't change a resolution.

the bigg:

If there are no elements in low res, I don't understand why I have this message about not supported video mode.

Oh. I assume you're running BG1 in full screen (WSM V1 can't do BG1 windowed) and have set the resolution to the same one as your desktop (or one you can set your desktop to). Also, you might want to try some of the tricks from this topic, just in case.

I have whole Forgotten Realms collection :)

Unfortunately my 2 PCs are down due to motherboard damage (both are MSI...), which happens with week delay between them and they were working some long time...

So I'm forced to use only my notebook, unfortunately like I said before it's "too modern and perfect" to have something simple like VGA mode...

I just wanted to play BG from zero, than IWD, NWN...

Maybe you know, if newer versions (BG2/IWD2) have global settings about resolution?

Archived