Item Revisions Mod

Demivrgvs

I didn't realize you were only making sunfire 1D6, I was thinking of the spell being caster level. Zone is good for a secondary ability. It balances out overall, I just remember using it too much
Actually i'm making sunfire 12D6 (or 10D6 maybe) the +1D6 i was talking about is the fire damage on hit. Zone of Sweet Air is not something you'll use very often but can come in handy sometimes...but anyway if you're not soloing you're neither going to use Sunfire too often.
How about working on the dragon armors next?
I think they're quite good as they're now but if you have any suggestion we can do it. One thing i'll surely do about the red one is making it useable by druids as per PnP. But i was thinking that something could be done to make Red Dragon Armor/Helm/Shield (maybe the sword too) works together to simulate a powerful suit that once belonged to a Dragonslayer hero.

I liked the armors myself and think they're good. But when I was comparing them earlier, two things bothered me. 1: why are their stats and abilities all over the place. and 2: why isn't there an armor for a wizard? Here's the list of what I'm talking about.

Human Flesh: Leat21 wt:5lbs, str 3

AC 3, Saving Throws +4, Magic Resistance 20%

Shadow Dragon Scale: Leat19 wt: 10lbs, str 6

AC 1, 50% acid resistance

White Dragon Scale: Chan20 wt: 15lbs, str 8

AC -2, 50% cold resistance, Cast Cone of Cold 3xDay

Blue Dragon Plate: Plat20 wt:20lbs, str 8

AC -1, 90% resistance to Electricity and Lightning

Red Dragon Scale: Plat18 wt:30lbs, str 8

AC -1, 50% fire resistance

My first suggestion is maybe making the Human Flesh into a Robe, maybe Silver Dragon Plate. This way there would be a robe, leather, chain, scale, and plate armor(full plate would probably be too difficult to craft). After that, find out a good bonus to AC to use for all the standard types, something like +4 or +5.

My first suggestion is maybe making the Human Flesh into a Robe, maybe Silver Dragon Plate. This way there would be a robe, leather, chain, scale, and plate armor(full plate would probably be too difficult to craft). After that, find out a good bonus to AC to use for all the standard types, something like +4 or +5.
Actually Human Flesh Armor isn't a Dragon Armor and shouldn't be cause there's an entire quest about it...only the blood of a Silver Dragon is used to forge the Armor, it's not made of scale. The Red Dragon Armor is a full plate i think...

I know all about the Human Flesh Armor. I just never liked it much. And I noticed there is no silver dragon armor. So I figured just adjust the flesh armor and make it Silver dragon armor. Unless you are willing to create something with Cromwell. I couldn't find where it actually said what the armors were, just what their name was(eg. Leat19). Do you like the idea of making the dragon armors all different armors, that way a party can all be equipped with dragon stuff?

I think they already cover all types of armor: light armor/leather is the shadow one, medium armor/chain is the white one (a ranger wearing it could still hide in shadow) and the heavy armor/full plate is the red one. I don't remember The Blue Dragon Armor, it's probably a plate but you get it so late in the game that i think very few people have ever used it.

I was playing around last night with some stuff I'm making, and noticed that "the staff of the magi", "protection from evil spell", and the amulet usable only by clerics(with prot. from evil) are all coded different. If I read them right, it appears that the staff of the magi, doesn't actually give protection from evil. Just the icon, color changing effect, and the bonus to AC and THACO against evil. So no immunity to Pit Fiends and the like. That's an easy change if you wanted to include it.

In my installation Staff of the Magi works as it should...anyway i'm going to rebalance it a lot cause it's one of the most overpowered items by far.

Changes will be along the line of:

- no more permanent invisibility at will (easily abusable)

- % of dispel effect on hit reduced (50% should be fine)

- spell trap duration reduced as per original spell (i'm not sure about this)

- add telekinesis ability (knock+wing buffet effect+1d6 damage)

- thaco & damage bonus should be as per enchantment level (+5)

- save vs. spell bonus instead of save vs. all (3.5 has magic resistance :) )

Staff of the Magi +5 ---> moved to page 11

Special Abilities:

Spell Trap (once a day)

Combined fireball-lightning (three times a day) ---> Remove Magic or Dispel Magic?

Telekinesis (three times a day)

Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to Charm

Protection from Evil

Save vs. spell: +2 bonus

Armor Class: +2 bonus ---> Partially granted by Protection from Evil

Combat Abilities:

Dispel Magic on hit (50% chance)

THACO: +5

Damage: 1d6 + 5

What do you think?

I haven't played D&D for some years now, and never really had a good item manual. With that said, I'm not really sure what this item should have. I agree that invisibility at will was very abusive, just like the ring of invisibility back in BG1. I also think that telekenisis ability is sweet. Instead of the wing buffet + dmg, just copy the ring of ram power. That way it only targets 1 thing. Oh, I also never use Spell Trap, it just seems too cheap to use. Although I had no problem using the robe of mirroring, to each his own I guess.

I also think that telekenisis ability is sweet. Instead of the wing buffet + dmg, just copy the ring of ram power. That way it only targets 1 thing.
Ring of Ram uses the wing buffet effect applied to one single target while i was inclined to make Telekinesis hit more targets but with very low damage (1d6 is near zero actually). This way i think it can be used as an effective defensive ability, and it would be a new ability rather than a mere copy of the one you get with the ring.
I had no problem using the robe of mirroring
I've yet to discover how but the Cloak of Cheese has to be toned down a lot...i really can't use it without thinking that i'm actually cheating. For example Improved Anvil changed it to a magic resistance cloak (50% magic res) while Zyraen's mod reduce the chance of deflecting spells from 100% to 40%...
Guest Side Note

Just a side note: The Mail of the Dead is named such because it was used by undead warriors (reanimated skeletons). It is constructed of metal (not bone).

The Mail of the Dead is named such because it was used by undead warriors (reanimated skeletons). It is constructed of metal (not bone).
I know that and i've extended the description a little too if you noticed. I've abandoned the idea of making it of bones...following Miloch & BigRob's suggestions i've opted to the first version (the only one i've ever made actually).

I've always thought bonus merchants shouldn't even exist cause they are out of place but as they actually exist something as to be done about them and their items...one possibility would be to eliminate them and scatter their items in appropriate stores, chests or monsters. For example a rebalanced Shield of Balduran could replace Saving Grace as reward for completing the Quest of the Unseeying Eye. Anyway even if Deidre remain where she is now (stoling clients to Ribald) her Robe of Vecna, Vhailor's Helm & Shield of Balduran have to be nerfed.

Mirroring Shield +2 ---> it replaces the Shield of Balduran

Special Abilities (once a day):

Spell Turning (reflect 9 spell levels, last 10 turns)

Armor Class Bonus: 4

Robe of Vecna ---> i've changed the original eclectic palette of colors as per Luiz Mod

Equipped Abilities:

Improve Casting Speed by 2

Magic Resistance Bonus: +10%

Armor Class: 5

Usable By:

Mages ---> what about making it only usable by single class mages?

The most notable change i've done to wands is about charges. Wands originally had a limited number of charges (usually 50 in PnP) and after they were expended the wand was destroyed. I've made them usable once per day instead so that the player can use wands without worrying to lost an item but can't abuse of them firing 10 fireball in a row. Do you think this change will cause any balance problem? The other changes are that i've raised the intelligence required to use them (accordingly with the level of power they posses) and that they're now usable by thieves.

Wand of Fire

Special Abilities:

Fireball (10D6, save vs. wands half)

Scorching Ray (5D8, save vs. wands half)

Requires: 12 Intelligence

Usable by:

Bard

Mage

Thief

Wand of Lightning

Special Abilities:

Lightning bolts (4D6, save vs. wands half) ---> 6 bolts, up to six different targets

Requires: 14 Intelligence

Usable by:

Bard

Mage

Thief

Wand of Monster Summoning

Special Abilities:

Summon 12 HD of monsters

Requires: 15 Intelligence

Usable By:

Bard

Mage

Thief

Update: at players request the original charge system has been maintained.

I've made them usable once per day instead so that the player can use wands without worrying to lost an item but can't abuse of them firing 10 fireball in a row. Do you think this change will cause any balance problem?

It will if people can accumulate many copies of each wand, or if they get all these wands upon leaving Irenicus' Dungeon. However, if you were able to limit the number of available wands to 1 or maybe 2 per type it could be a nice improvement. I'm usually too chicken to use my wands or potions unless I'm having a lot of difficulty.

I dislike the wand mechanics change a great deal. Wands were one of the few items that there were real consequences to using. Use it now, or save it for later when it might be needed more? The change reduces the tactical and strategic considerations that go into deciding when to use a wand. I admit that the change will make the use of wands more appealing to those players who can't part with a charge because it's gone "forever" after it's used, but I see this as essentially diminishing the diversity of magical items available in the game. Also, good wand (and potion and scroll) usage is also key to playing no reload games IMO (especially if you want to do it without being cheesy).

-Starcrunch

Archived