Noob questions

I've never played IWD but this looks like a cool project and I'd like to try it out sometime. I've read the Q&A and some other pinned threads but I'm still unsure:

How will this work with mods like Spell Revisions and SCS-II? Will the IWD game be able to benefit from the same AI improvements etc, much like if it was an expansion to the BG series?

Are there any plans to do a full integration of IWD into something like BGT? I'm thinking the ability to travel to the IWD areas at certain points in the BGT, do some quests there, travel back etc. Basically convert the IWD into a BG expansion with full BG mod compatibility? Again, I ask with the advantage of ignorance, since I have not having played IWD so I have no idea if this would even be feasible.

Are there any plans to do a full integration of IWD into something like BGT? I'm thinking the ability to travel to the IWD areas at certain points in the BGT, do some quests there, travel back etc. Basically convert the IWD into a BG expansion with full BG mod compatibility? Again, I ask with the advantage of ignorance, since I have not having played IWD so I have no idea if this would even be feasible.
Well, there is such a thing... it's old and it's not really conversion, but also asking one goes against a conversion policy actually. The mod I am talking it the Never Ending Journey...

How will this work with mods like Spell Revisions and SCS-II? Will the IWD game be able to benefit from the same AI improvements etc, much like if it was an expansion to the BG series?
Well, when you install the beta v7, then install the Tweakpack that's on the second post with the fixpack and then see if there's even a need to improve the AI. Erhm, by the way, when you install the beta, you'll be making a new game with it's own directory, so the game itself is independent of the two original components it was made up from, and so they can be uninstalled, or changed there after without changing the IwDinBGII game.

So in essence this mod is not a BG series expansion, but a game on it's own using the BGII as it's engine, and IwD as it's landscape.

There are few other game mechanic tweak mods that do work wonders with the IwDinBGII though.

And you can of course import/export the characters from BGII to IwDinBGII and back, as you have the two games(not counting the original IwD)... but know that you'll be cheating based on the game rules(as you'll be higher level on one of the games), and you can only do this on the Bhallspawn or the multiplayer characters.

Basically, no. Spell Revisions won't work without significant restructuring; SCSII won't work at all. (I do have a half-written "snowscape stratagems" IWD-in-BG2 version of SCS, but don't hold your breath for it to appear.)

Not by me. It's feasible, but significantly more complicated than the existing converter (and not something that could be straightforwardly built on top of the existing converter). I'm personally not at all interested in combining the two games (and I think neither is CamDawg) so it isn't likely to happen.

Basically, no. Spell Revisions won't work without significant restructuring; SCSII won't work at all. (I do have a half-written "snowscape stratagems" IWD-in-BG2 version of SCS, but don't hold your breath for it to appear.)

Glacier Gambits? Permafrost Ploys? Whiteout Wiles? Frostbite Feints?

I think the only mods that work for sure on on IWD-in-BG2 at the moment are mine and Kulyok's IWD NPCs.

Not by me. It's feasible, but significantly more complicated than the existing converter (and not something that could be straightforwardly built on top of the existing converter). I'm personally not at all interested in combining the two games (and I think neither is CamDawg) so it isn't likely to happen.

Yeah, I didn't see any way to reconcile the games into a coherent storyline. When I built the initial converter it was designed to run roughshod over the BG2 resources since I didn't foresee any need for them. Philosophically I don't think it's a good decision, and (as David mentions) it's also a practical nightmare.

I've been pleasantly surprised from the results of grogerson's 7.13 run. I think we're pretty close.

I think the only mods that work for sure on on IWD-in-BG2 at the moment are mine and Kulyok's IWD NPCs.
Well, the Widescreen mod does as well, as do some if not all game mechanical enhancements, such as the iimods, and most kit mods(not the Divine Remix). It's just a question, do they actually give anything to the game, to declare them as such(as you would have to try each of them out).
Well, the Widescreen mod does as well, as do some if not all game mechanical enhancements, such as the iimods, and most kit mods(not the Divine Remix). It's just a question, do they actually give anything to the game, to declare them as such(as you would have to try each of them out).

Widescreen works for sure, but I hedged for a reason--the answer for most of the others is the ever-useful "it depends". grogerson has a bunch of stuff from BG2 Tweaks installed for his 7.13 journey and all of them should work, save the thieving/casting armor tweaks (which will work, but miss a bunch of armor).

The IWD specific spells have somewhat different mechanics than SR covers. Maybe when this project comes out of BETA the creator/maintainer of SR will incorporate those as well. As for SCS-II, I'm finding All Spawns at Maximum Difficulty is more than a challenge...

And when it does get past BETA I'm sure Cam'll have a set of tweaks just for it...

Archived