How to prevent exploding death via spell effect?

I know that you can prevent exploding death via creature flags. But (afaik) they can only be set at install time.

Is there a way to prevent this type of death via effect opcode?

I remember a recent discussion involving K4thos on the issue of exploding death (because of SoD Imoen being killed this way and later not spawning in EET). He did some repairs on savegames for people having the problem but as far as I remember he did not publish more details on the issue (and I cannot find the related topic but I am sure it was here on G3). He said he found a solution to prevent it - not sure if this already is in current EET version.

Edited by Roxanne

I remember a recent discussion involving K4thos on the issue ...

It's likely just re-creating the .cre in the savegame. Nothing too special, you can't do with NI yourself. As it was done to a savegame, and uploaded as a savegame.

I tried opcode 208 (Minimum HP) with param1 set to 0 or -1, but without success (regardless of timing mode).

It needs to be a positive value... you need scripting to set them unconsciousness on positive values and that will be a mess.

There's multiple tweaks that do this to several of the spells... so you might want to look for them.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

It's a bit more complicated in my case. The spell I'm working on is also using opcode 232 (Cast Spell on Condition) with condition = "Target dies" to trigger some kind of "resurrection" spell as soon as the affected creature dies. However, resurrection doesn't work when a creature dies an exploding death, so I have to somehow prevent this type of death. (Btw, scripts are out of the question.)

Edited by argent77

IIRC creatures whose animations have large circle size or large personal space (I don't remember which) are hard-coded not to chunk. If no chunking animation=no exploding death, it may be one theoretical workaround. Not knowing what you're trying to do with this, tho, I can't speak to relevance...

I've tried increasing personal space with opcode 342 (Override Creature Data) without success. I don't know how to increase selection circle size via opcode (but it would probably look weird to have a goblin running around with a dragon-sized selection circle all of a sudden).

If nothing else works I have probably no choice but to adjust the spell description and live with this restriction.

It's a bit more complicated in my case. The spell I'm working on is also using opcode 232 (Cast Spell on Condition) with condition = "Target dies" to trigger some kind of "resurrection" spell as soon as the affected creature dies. However, resurrection doesn't work when a creature dies an exploding death, so I have to somehow prevent this type of death. (Btw, scripts are out of the question.)

All chunking goes through Opcode 13.

You can use the Seven Eyes Effect+7eyes.2da(13*0x8, 13*0x40, 13*0x80) to stop just the chunking deaths, and to stop the hard-coded chunking effects.

Known con:

Whenever the creature would die a "chunking" death, no death occurs(no exp, limited effects not removed), and the creature is restored to full health.

I've noticed that setting parameter 2 of opcode 32 (Raise Dead) to nonzero allows you to raise even creatures that died an exploding death. However, the opcode appears to be hardcoded to change the creature animation to a human cleric. It would be perfect for my purposes if there were a way to prevent the animation change.

Edited by argent77

I've noticed that setting parameter 2 of opcode 32 (Raise Dead) to nonzero allows you to raise even creatures that died an exploding death. However, the opcode appears to be hardcoded to change the creature animation to a human cleric. It would be perfect for my purposes if there were a way to prevent the animation change.

Chunking itself causes a permanent animation change (to one of the EXPLODING_ARM/FOOT/LEG/TORSO animations) and a (hair/skin/major/minor) color change (all to a red color). It has to reset the animation of the creature. Odd though that party members return to their proper animation(though still recolored), while others revert to the Human Cleric.

Odd though that party members return to their proper animation(though still recolored), while others revert to the Human Cleric.

It's not limited to party members, but all creatures with humanoid creatures animations (xxx_LOW animations are restored as non-LOW animations). Monster animations appear to be restored as human clerics though.

Odd though that party members return to their proper animation(though still recolored), while others revert to the Human Cleric.

It's not limited to party members, but all creatures with humanoid creatures animations (xxx_LOW animations are restored as non-LOW animations). Monster animations appear to be restored as human clerics though.

Looks like its controlled the same waya as CharGen. The creature gets an animation assigned based on its Race/Class/Gender, with Human/Cleric being the default. Changing the race/class/gender of the creature before chunking them changes the animation they come back with.