EET installation help for a newbie ?

necrosis

So using BWS I followed the installation procedures accurately so far as I could tell, and when BWS finishes it's installation I attempt to startup the game and....nothing. The game simply doesn't start at all :c I look in the task manager and it does appear to have baldur.exe listed there in active applications yet the game isn't loading whatsoever. To give some context, I am using the latest GoG versions of BGEE+SoD and BG2EE . I did ensure that I created a dlc folder, moved SoD-dlc.zip into it and used the modmerge tool and all that jazz, and the installation itself appeared to have gone over just fine with very few interruptions. I really have no idea what I did wrong and would be eternally grateful for any assistance in this matter ;-;

I'll attach my Weidu.log file here if that would be helpful WeiDU.log

Though there were a few warnings towards the end when SCS was installing, and some of the things the fixpack attempted to patch already had newer versions so perhaps it is something in relation to that?

So using BWS I followed the installation procedures accurately so far as I could tell, and when BWS finishes it's installation I attempt to startup the game and....nothing. The game simply doesn't start at all :c I look in the task manager and it does appear to have baldur.exe listed there in active applications yet the game isn't loading whatsoever. To give some context, I am using the latest GoG versions of BGEE+SoD and BG2EE . I did ensure that I created a dlc folder, moved SoD-dlc.zip into it and used the modmerge tool and all that jazz, and the installation itself appeared to have gone over just fine with very few interruptions. I really have no idea what I did wrong and would be eternally grateful for any assistance in this matter ;-;

I'll attach my Weidu.log file here if that would be helpful attachicon.gifWeiDU.log

Though there were a few warnings towards the end when SCS was installing, and some of the things the fixpack attempted to patch already had newer versions so perhaps it is something in relation to that?

The installation as a whole looks fine. Those errors you might have seen would (if at all) be visible in game but not prevent it from starting.

Did you kill that process you saw in the task manager?

Did you start EET either from the desktop item it created or the baldur.exe in the BG2EE directory?

Did you check your user/myuser/documents to see if you have a Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy folder there which contains baldur.lua?

I'll attach my Weidu.log file here if that would be helpful attachicon.gifWeiDU.log

The installation as a whole looks fine. Those errors you might have seen would (if at all) be visible in game but not prevent it from starting.

Did you kill that process you saw in the task manager?

Did you start EET either from the desktop item it created or the baldur.exe in the BG2EE directory?

Did you check your user/myuser/documents to see if you have a Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy folder there which contains baldur.lua?

I should preface this first that I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and that I have all UAC stuff turned off

1. yes I waited a bit to see if maybe the game was just taking a minute to start up, but after like 7~8 minutes I decided it probably wasn't gonna happen so I killed the process in task manager

2. I tried it both ways. once from the shortcut, and once from the actual baldur.exe itself in the BG2EE folder. I even tried running it in compatibility mode for XP sp2 , Vista sp2 and Win 7 and also tried running as administrator and various combinations of those listed to no avail.

3. Yes I just checked and there is indeed and Enhanced Edition Trilogy folder with a Baldur.lua file present.

I also tried some things I found via googling regarding Data Execution prevention/ DEP but I couldn't really get that to work but I also suspect it wouldn't have helped anyways a the problems im experiencing don't seem to be related to the base games themselves as they run fine before modding.

I just want to play this legendary RPG with all my favourite mods ;-;

Are there any other logs I should be showing you that might aid in troubleshooting?

Thank you so much for your assistance btw.

Just an attempt

Look for setup-EET_gui.exe in the BG2EE directory and run it. Try to start the game with the baldur exe in BG2EE.

The existence of the lua file indicates that the game starts (this file is created on the first start) but for whatever reason gets stuck. I have no idea anymore about windows 7. What is strange is that the unmodded game runs and the correctly modded one does not.

Otherwise I propose to post the baldur.lua from both the Enhanced Edition folder and from the BG2EE which is also in your user/documents. Or you can check yourself if you find any settings differ in the two files that look suspicious to you.

Just for completeness - what happens when you try to start BGEE?

Just an attempt

Look for setup-EET_gui.exe in the BG2EE directory and run it. Try to start the game with the baldur exe in BG2EE.

The existence of the lua file indicates that the game starts (this file is created on the first start) but for whatever reason gets stuck. I have no idea anymore about windows 7. What is strange is that the unmodded game runs and the correctly modded one does not.

Otherwise I propose to post the baldur.lua from both the Enhanced Edition folder and from the BG2EE which is also in your user/documents. Or you can check yourself if you find any settings differ in the two files that look suspicious to you.

Just for completeness - what happens when you try to start BGEE?

I have already nuked everything and uninstalled completely both games and am going to attempt another reinstall via BWS

but will try these things you mentioned when I have another install attempt done.

as for your question, I did try starting the baldur.exe in he BGEE folder but iirc it had the same behavior as the other one in BG2EE folder, where its just in limbo without really doing anything. Although actually I think when I tried it once it may have given a CTD . When I tried fiddling with compatibility mode settings via > Right Click > ' Troubleshoot Compatibility' > try recommended settings I was actually able to get it to almost show up for a second but it instantaneously CTD before it could begin and gave me a .dmp file which I would attach if the file size wasn't too large .

the only other possibility I can think of is perhaps my antivirus is preventing it in someway ? but I do not think it would be the case as I think I tried running it last night with the internet disconnected and m antivirus temporarily deactivated to see if it interfered and iirc it had the same reaction.

I will post the Baldur.lua file later when I have reinstalled everything and it inevitably gives me the same response.

will report back later.

Thank you again for your time :]

Got somewhat the same problem, only my BG2 starter works fine. Sadly my BG1 launcher won't start, and I kinda wanna get in from the beginning again. I'll keep an eye on this post to see if any solutions should show up.

If you have EET then you never use the BG1 launcher (it was only mentioned in the other post for analysis purpose).

For EET you start BG2 and then you can select a campaign from where to start. If you choose *Baldur's Gate* with the original BG1 logo, you will start your creature creation and find yourself in Candlekeep.

When you do this, you can seamlessly continue this game until ToB.

You can start the game with another campaign, e.g. the pits or BG2 or ToB, however if you do, you cannot go backwards, i.e. you will never see BG1 areas on the worldmap and any BG1 character that has BG2 contents will start with their BG2 incarnation.

Strange. Then something must have gone wrong with the installation, cause I only get the normal 3 options when I start BG2. SoA, ToB and the Pits.

I did have plenty of errors during the big world installation, but I don't know how to check what works and what didn't.

If you got time I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how?

Strange. Then something must have gone wrong with the installation, cause I only get the normal 3 options when I start BG2. SoA, ToB and the Pits.

I did have plenty of errors during the big world installation, but I don't know how to check what works and what didn't.

If you got time I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how?

Read this carefully http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27756

You have two options.

With BWS

1. Make a clean install of BGEE DO NOT INSTALL IN Program Files or Program Files (x86)
  2. Apply modmerge in case you have a steam or Gog version.
  3. start it up once, create a save game. (This creates the lua files)
  4. Install BG2EE DO NOT INSTALL IN Program Files or Program Files (x86)
  5. start it up once, create a save game.
  6. Download BWS https://bitbucket.org/BigWorldSetup/bigworldsetup/get/master.zip and select EET install, the tool will guide you through the rest of the installation
  7. Start your game from the EET desktop icon or the Baldur.exe in BG2EE directory

Manually

Refer to this list http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741&do=findComment&comment=240673 (check updated mods for changes)

1. Make a clean install of BGEE DO NOT INSTALL IN Program Files or Program Files (x86)
  2. Apply modmerge in case you have a steam or Gog version.
  3. start it up once, create a save game.
  4. Install BG1:EE mods.(using above list for reference)
  5. Install BG2EE DO NOT INSTALL IN Program Files or Program Files (x86)
  6. start it up once, create a save game.
  7. Initialize EET (Run Setup-EET.exe)
  8. Download and unpack mods from part 2 of the above list - do not install yet Note1
  9. Download and unpack mods from part 3 of the above list - do not install yet Note1
  10. (Needed if you have mods from part 3!) Download http://github.com/BiGWorldProject/BiG-World-Fixpack and run it
  11. Install BG2:EE mods. Note2
  12. Finalize EET (Run Setup-EET_end.exe)
  13. Install EET_Gui, if you like
  14. Start your game from the EET desktop icon or the Baldur.exe in BG2EE directory

Note1 - Some mods download in self-extracting zip files that autoinstall, these mods have an .exe extension. Extract those to some part of the PC outside your game directory. The attempted installation will fail which is fine. Close the error window and move the extracted modfolder + tp2 (if outside) + setup.exe to your game folder for later use.

Note2 - For a rough guide to installation order

1) story/contents mods, except 10

2) NPC mods

3) item mods

4) kit mods

5) Tweaks anthology

7) other tweak/overhaul mods except 11

8) SCS

9) aTweaks

10) Sandrah Saga

11) SoD Banter restauration

12) worldmap

For more details, dependencies or incompatibilities etc you need to study the readme's

Oh sorry. I might not have been clear. I already made the complete installation of EET using BWS, and followed instructions from somewhere else that is more or less exactly as yours.

I did have several mods during the installation that didn't work, but in the end the installation finished, and I'm unsure how to check which exact mods might not have worked perfectly. Could be that there was some problems with the actual EET installation. Was just wondering if there was some way for me to check it.

Apparently I can't upload anything. Might be because this is a somewhat new user. I'll try and figure something out. Thanks though for the very fast answers here!

You could upload it to something like dropbox and then post the link here.

Archived