Rashemaar Rangers

Ayce

I noticed in the readme file that Misnc's kit is merely a cosmetic change in name. I do have a few ideas that might be applied to Minsc that would ad to his own distinctiveness as a character (especially with two rangers in the game, three if you're playing a ranger).

1. Minsc has been written as a "big sword" weidling type of guy, he comes with a two-handed sword in BG1 and has two prociency slots in that weapon type in BG2. Going with this idea, they grow 'em big in Rashemen I guess, I went into his .cre file and reassigned his proficiencies as follows..............

two-handed sword ++

quarterstaff ++

longbow ++

two-handed weapon style ++

thus the big change would be that Rashemaar Rangers get bonuses in handling "big (two-handed) weapons" instead of two-weapon style. This is a mod I'm sticking with no matter what, it just seems to fit with his character and all............

some other ideas..................

2. The Beserker rage fits well and is already part of the Rashemaar Barbarian thing, let's keep that

Consider the Wikipedia description on Rashemen..............

Rashemen

Rashemen is a magocratic gynarchy, land of the famous Witches of Rashemen. The 650,000 people of Rashemen are almost all humans. It is ruled from the capital of Immilmar, where the ruler called Iron Lord resides. However, the true power in Rashemen are the witches called hathran. One of the most famous denizens of Rashemen is the ranger Minsc (and his hamster Boo), who journeyed out as the cohort of Dynaheir, a Rashemen witch in training. In addition to the witches, Rashemen is also known for its berserker warriors and spirits which protect the land.

3. In keeping with the spirit of this description, perhaps Misnc should be able to summon spirit animals instead of charming animals, perhaps.

4. Having some abilities that speak to his role as witch guardian would also be appropriate, I'm not sure what that might include, still thinking.................

5. Aerie mentions the snowfields of Rashemen, perhaps a bit of elemental resistance would also be appropriate.

Disadvantages?

Well the ideas above mention losing the bonus two-weapon style and charm animal ability. So ideas 1, 2 and 3 already balance out. As for guardian bonuses and elemental resistances, stealth penalties or loss of stealth abilities might be appropriate, but that may also be too extreme a change...............

I'm interested in feedback on these ideas as my next learning goal for modding is how to create and implement custom kits.................

Myself, I always considered Minsc a barbarian who became a ranger 'cause there weren't barbarians in BG1 :) Partly it's because of his personality & stats(casting spells with wisdom of 8? Come on!), partly because he already has rage, and lastly because of the custom of dajemma of witch and her usually barbarian/berserker guardian.

able to summon spirit animals instead of charming animals, perhaps.

Erm... you really see *Minsc* summoning *spirits*?

Yes. I think he's perfectly capable of walking into a tavern and summoning a vodka martini or a nice glass of scotch.

Er... yes, animal spirits. Given Minsc's affection for animals, in general ("Quick, thow nuts!"), and his special rapport with Boo, I'd say he's capable of charming animals.

Again, this is another kit that's a good idea for Minsc, but possibly not for the PC, given the background.

2. The Beserker rage fits well and is already part of the Rashemaar Barbarian thing, let's keep that

True. I just wish he stopped trying to kill his friends when he goes berserk. I've played Barbarians and Bersekers before in Baldur's Gate and they certainly do not behave like Minsc. He's as big a threat to the party as any enemies when he goes berserk. At the very least, can it be coded that he doesn't attack his 'Witch' (Dynaheir, Aerie or Nalia)?

Sure, if Minsc is one thing (besides a few crackers short of a pack), he's loyal to the traditions of his homeland to a fault. If Rashemen is famous for the spirits that protect it, I would think these spirits would only be too willing to help one of their favorite sons.

Which brings up another thought, maybe Minsc has a spark of the divine in him? Product of a human and a Rashemen spirit? That might go a long way towards explaining his decidingly unique point of view.................

OK, never mind...............................

Again, this is another kit that's a good idea for Minsc, but possibly not for the PC, given the background

Yeah, again, you've got me there. But as before, there are a lot of PC options that don't fit the PC background, including a lot of the standard factory kits. Can we reallly make all the kits in all classes fit the PCs background anyway?

Hopefully, people would use this kit as intended.

So what would be a good "guardian" ability? Still stuck on that one.

Rashemi warriors are one of best barbarians-mage slayers. But I don't think that customising Minsc gonna be a good idea. Minsc is totally non-Rashemi character: he's bald (Rashemi must be hairy!) and he have got tatoo (symbol of Thayans). And also, Edwin is also, no-Thayan.. because of hair and beard - and a lack of tatoo (main power of Thay!).

Rashemi warriors are one of best barbarians-mage slayers. But I don't think that customising Minsc gonna be a good idea. Minsc is totally non-Rashemi character: he's bald (Rashemi must be hairy!) and he have got tatoo (symbol of Thayans). And also, Edwin is also, no-Thayan.. because of hair and beard - and a lack of tatoo (main power of Thay!).

Hmmm, I wasn't aware these incosistencies with Forgotten Realms lore, I wonder if the programmers were aware of this "role-reversal."

Then again, Edwin does kind of look like the wizard on the cover of FR6 Dreams of the Red Wizards..............

A long time ago I've seen an special "interview" with Minsc. He just don't know ;-)

Although Thayvian males do grow beards, and outside Thay, Red Wizards often allow their hair to grow to avoid being recognised as such and attacked on sight.

Okay, okay.. but where are these damned tatoos? ;-) And for a man like Edwin, being hairy is a sort of mhm. lower class? He's fully proud for being Thayan. ;-)

Hmmm, I wasn't aware these incosistencies with Forgotten Realms lore, I wonder if the programmers were aware of this "role-reversal."

I think it was made for better consistence with character itself, and with his voice. Bald wizard cannot be funny ;-) (?)

Archived