v11 To-Fight-About List

Firstly it'd make the Sword of Flame +1 (from Bernard) redundant, given that flametongue hits as a +4 weapon and has bonuses to hit/damage vs various critters. Secondly flametongue doing fire damage would make it ideal for interrupting enemy mages who protect themselves with Improved Mantle (since it's +4)... too powerful considering it's easy to get early in the game.

Immunity to poison probably should grant immunity to stinking cloud though.

Bernard and Ribald both sell a Sword of Flame +1 (SW1H53) "Meta Infernum" which -does- have +1 Fire damage and is actually useful against Trolls. Yes, you could remove one, if this is supposed to be a unique sword.

However, that's not the Long Sword +1 Flame Tongue (SW1H24) "The Burning Earth" I'm referring to. You don't get SW1H24 until later (Druid Grove). That's the one that hits as a +4 and has bonuses against certain types, not Bernard's.

So my point is for all its benefits, SW1H24 doesn't deal its +1 as Fire and can't even finish off a Troll. (What's the use of a Flame Tongue with no Flame?) I think this is contrary to the description and should be fixed, to be like every other "burning" weapon. As for being +4 and useful against Improved Mantle too early, I would almost agree, except the Daystar and the Staff of Rynn are available even earlier.

(I still think if Bolt of Glory or others can have their damage adjusted, it's reasonable to say FT1DAM, FT2DAM, and FT3DAM ought to be Fire instead of Slashing, based again on the description, which says it "burns its victims", not "shreds" them.)

I do agree that the Periapt (AMUL22) should provide immunity to Stinking Cloud, in addition to Cloud Kill, Mimic Poison, Mephit Poison, etc. Admittedly, Stinking Cloud is a Sleep effect, but it's certainly administered like an ingested poison.

Since no one wants to throw the first brick...

The Ring of Wizardry an be created by your apprentices in the planar sphere and the description contains the line "It was originally commissioned by spellcaster , apparently at great monetary and personal cost." Unfortunately, a copy is also available at the Harper HQ when you confront Galvalrey. There are three different approaches we can use here:

• Amend the description to be more generic and applicable to both (like, say, the BG flavor text)
  • Clone the item and use a generic description for the new resource, allowing the original from the sphere to keep the line
  • Remove the item from Harper HQ or make it undroppable
I don't think #3 is really appropriate--the ring has a guard against wearing more than one of itself after all--and of the remaining two I'd favor #1. While I'd like to keep the nice flavor text I'm worried that a new resource will complicate things, particularly for mods.

Thanks for the feedback everyone; we went with option #2 in v11 Beta 1. The main drawback of option 2 was that it would force modders to account for a new item code which, in a vacuum, would mean option 1 would the way to go. However, since option 2 is how BGIIEE solved the bug, modders already have to account for the new item and there's no reason for Fixpack not to follow.

Other stuff from page 1--wands not causing hostility (aVENGER), mage buffs from items not being debuffable (aVENGER), and school immunities missing AoE (Wisp)--are all in v11 Beta 1.

Blade's Defensive Spin ability and Free Action don't work together - this needs to go. Either OBC or remove it (my vote goes to remove), since the way it's handled is worse off than vanilla behaviour.

Correct, Fixpack closes this exploit.

My guess is that they initially designed the spell to reflect spell levels 1-4 (per the description), then realized in playtesting that it wasn't worth a 5th level slot so tacked on reflection for spell levels 5-7 but forgot to update the description. Thus MST's vanilla game behavior rather than description is true to developer intent.

Ahh, speculating on the motives of video game designers of yore, what a productive way to pass the time.

One of the very nice things about working on the EEs was a chance to discuss stuff like this with the original devs. You'll note the EE strips the level 5-7 protections as well.

On the other hand, the fixpack currently makes many changes that do not fix broken functions, but are basically tweaks or cheats that indeed belong in some sort of a revision mod i.e. the Soul Reaver bypassing MR and armor usability.

P.S. allowing archers to wear things like ankheg plate and red dragon scale makes no sense at all; yes the letter of the law is no metal armor, but clearly the intent was to restrict them from bulky plate and suchlike which would realistically hinder an archer's performance.

Archers and heavy plate is reverted in v11 Beta 1; the Soul Reaver changes simply bring it in line with melee effects of pretty much everything else in the game.

Is there a reason the Periapt of Proof Against Poison (AMUL22) doesn't have Reduced Damage from Poison? I know the difference between insinuative and ingested poisons, but the description flatly states "Immune to Poison", no disclaimer "No effect on poisonous vapors."

I'll quote myself from another discussion:

So, the real issue here is a pragmatic one. The game uses two ways to inflict poison.

One way is directly via the poison mechanism, used by things like the Assassin's poison weapon ability, various spiders, Asp's Nest darts, and so on. This is generally used to touch a target once and then inflict X damage over Y time (i.e. you get hit by a poisoned weapon and suffer damage over the next couple of rounds). Cavaliers are immune to this.

The second way is through the generic damage mechanism with a damage type of poison. This is the method used by Cloudkill as well as Prismatic Spray, Flail of Ages, poison mists, etc. This is a one-time effect (i.e. Flail of Ages does poison damage on hit, but won't affect you next round). Cavaliers are not immune to poison damage, as noted by the OP.

The problem is that providing immunity to poison damage effectively makes the target also immune to disease, since disease inflicts poison damage.

Ultimately EE solved this by adding a new damage type (disease), which is something we can't do for the vanillas. That being said, this:

Might be worth making it give 206 protection vs cloudkill though.

...is an idea worth exploring.

One thing I will say about resistances though; Bolt of Glory should be reverted to doing magic damage vs undead (rather than missile) because undead are almost always missile resistant, it was probably intentionally coded this way in vanilla to get around their resistances.

Yeah, this has been reverted as well in v11 Beta 1.

Concerning OBC component, "Cromwell's forging actually takes a day", most people would consider a day's work to be 8 hours, not 24 hours! (well, Dwarves are workaholics I guess...)

An option has been added to make this component 8 or 24 hours in v11 Beta 1.

As for usabilities, Hurricane has argued convincingly over yonder and the suggestions there are now implemented in v11 Beta 1.

Another change of note: Iron Skins has been reverted back to its original casting time (thanks for everyone's feedback there as well).

Might be worth making it give 206 protection vs cloudkill though.

...is an idea worth exploring.

Consider this explored, and implemented for beta 3--poison resistance is being extended to also block the effects of Cloudkill.

The second way is through the generic damage mechanism with a damage type of poison. This is the method used by Cloudkill as well as Prismatic Spray, Flail of Ages, poison mists, etc. This is a one-time effect (i.e. Flail of Ages does poison damage on hit, but won't affect you next round). Cavaliers are not immune to poison damage, as noted by the OP. ...

The poison damage over time also has a history with the effect over time, as in the old game, you could only have 1 timed effect active, as the fastest was the only one effecting the target, but as that should be fixed nowadays via ToBEx or the EE patches, and as poison damage is actually damage over time, *** gas doesn't kill you, the fact that you can't breath does... as do so many other agents. So could the Fixpack go over the spells and fix the fact that they use the opcode 12 instead of the damage over time, even if it's 40 points of damage a second after the ingestion( initial attack), this make neutralize poison bit more fair/worth while spell to have, as it's useless against them in the said encounters.

That's... actually a really intriguing idea; taken to the extreme it could mean swapping every instance of poison damage via op 12 with equivalent damage via op 25 (though IIRC op 25 only supports fixed damage, not dice rolls). However, Fixpack is built upon the assumption that TobEx is not ubiquitous and definitely not required--OS X players don't even have the option for installation--so encoding a behavior that requires its corrected behavior is not really going to happen for the core. We could play around with an OBC though, like we do with shapeshifter paws.

Archived