Reminder from chat

SimDing0

I dunno if some of the stuff I mentioned after playing with v4 scrolled past as we discussed last night, but there were several things I noticed with the Monk HLAs:

- The description of that ability that I can't remember the name of... oh, Dragon Fist... the one that does Breach. I think it should note that it only removes combat protections (and if not all, then how many).

- Icons for the Stunning Blow and Quivering Palm abilities were still wrong. Yeh, this was with v4.

- That one abilitiy, uh, Second Wind, which displayed a string with an exclamation mark at the end... that looked odd. No other abilities are so exciting.

- I kept having to save vs spell against Solar Stance. No, it wasn't actually doing anything to me, but it's strange and slightly misleading that I'm apparently having to make a save. I also find the description saying "affected by Glitterdust and Greater Malison" to be rather metagame-ish; I think listing the effects directly would be better.

But hey, those new icons really are cool.

- Icons for the Stunning Blow and Quivering Palm abilities were still wrong. Yeh, this was with v4.

It probably is better to have the selection icons for those two powers match the icons that appear on the special abilities bar.

- That one abilitiy, uh, Second Wind, which displayed a string with an exclamation mark at the end... that looked odd. No other abilities are so exciting.

You're right, that should be changed. Fixed locally.

- I kept having to save vs spell against Solar Stance. No, it wasn't actually doing anything to me, but it's strange and slightly misleading that I'm apparently having to make a save. I also find the description saying "affected by Glitterdust and Greater Malison" to be rather metagame-ish; I think listing the effects directly would be better.

Metagame-ish? Unless you're contending that people in the BG2 world wouldn't recognize Glitterdust and Greater Malison by name, I don't see it. Even then, HLAs routinely refer to outright game mechanics (is "ten attacks per round" metagameish?). But I'll see if I can come up with an improved description.

Did you consider the clarification of the Dragon Fist description?

(For everyone else's benefit, Dragon Fist currently doesn't tell you what type of protections it strips away, nor how many. It should note that all combat protections are dispelled, I think.)

Guest Belboz

One other note about Dragon Fist...it's probably impossible to get around, but it might be worth a note in the README or something.

I had been using a tactic of assuming Lunar Stance before Kelsey cast time stop, allowing me to go around whacking things while he was casting. This works great, but...since Dragon Fist is basically a spell cast on another creature, it won't work during time stop. That is, you can use it during time stop, but the protections won't actually be stripped away until time starts up again. So if you go into time stop while your one opponent has Protection from Magical Weapons active, they're immune--there's no way you can strip it down before time starts up again.

For some reason, that surprised me--I wasn't suprised that a spell, like Breach, would wait to take effect (since the "magic sparklies" have to travel to the target, anyway), but I'd pictured Dragon Fist physically ripping away the protections.

I'm not sure, but... if you remove the projectile, it could work correctly even in timestops... worth trying I guess...

I thought some about this, then I came to the conclusion that even if I could make Dragon Fist take effect during Time Stop--I don't want to. :) Dragon Fist would be way overpowered if it could strip away enemy mages' protections during a Time Stop, while those mages are completely unable to do anything about it.

What is worth considering is whether Dragon Fist should work on liches or not.

Archived