Just curious about something......

I don't know how many people will be interested in this but I am wondering if maybe, just maybe there will be a full romance for Gann in MotB instead of just a flirt-pack?

I would be interested in seeing how a full romance track with that char. would play out. But I understand if it can't be done. The flirts do add more to the almost non existent romance, so I am not complaining. Just would be interested to see more along those lines. But I know it depends on how many are interested in that idea in the first place.

Maybe, if it were possible, someone could do that and release it as a separate mod?

By the way, who did do the flirts for Gann?

Player preferences are a factor in deciding whether a romance gets written or expanded, but it's also a question of whether a writer/coder is interested in pursuing it.

When I played the Bishop Romance, I was inspired to expand Casavir's. I'd already written one romance, so I had some idea of what I was getting myself into. Learning basic NWN2 coding was a bit of a hurdle, but it wasn't insurmountable. The thing was that I was interested in writing the romance and felt confident that I could manage to code it myself, eventually. My enthusiasm for the idea carried me through a lot of grief, especially when the toolset ate the romance when it was 95% completed, forcing me to start over from scratch.

Domi felt inspired to expand Neeshka's romance for male PCs. She'd already written and coded Bishop, so she is going into this with her eyes open. She wanted to make sure there was an audience for it before embarking on it, and that's perfectly understandable.

I've always felt that a person could do a lot with Sand, and there are enough subtle hints of interest in the original game to make me think this idea wouldn't be too unreasonable. I'm less interested in the number of potential players than Domi. After all, I knew when I wrote Casavir's that it would never be as popular as Bishop's because Casavir is a reserved man who has a lot of trouble talking about his emotions. Even when he's in love and knows it, his basic personality won't change. Sand isn't so reserved, and has little difficulty speaking his mind on any subject at all, so I expect that players who like more sparkle in their romances are going to enjoy it more. Since most people do like romance partners who are more demonstrative, he'll probably prove more popular than Casavir, but that has no bearing on whether or not I write the romance.

My point here is that in all these cases, an interested writer/coder was essential to the process. Without one, none of them would ever have been finished.

When I first approached Domi for permission to write a Casavir romance, she explained the mechanics of modding NWN2. Unlike BG2, where you can append files as much as you like, the only way to modify NWN2 files is to place the entire thing in the override folder, basically replacing the dialogue or script. Duplicate files cancel each other out or produce unpredictable behavior. This means that if a Gann romance was written, it would either be incompatible with the NWN2 Romance Pack or it would need to incorporate NWN2 Romance Pack files. Or it could be included in the NWN2 Romantic Pack. That would be Domi's call, not mine, because she's the actual mod owner. I am only explaining the situation so you have a clearer understanding of everthing involved.

I don't know how many people will be interested in this but I am wondering if maybe, just maybe there will be a full romance for Gann in MotB instead of just a flirt-pack?

I would be interested in seeing how a full romance track with that char. would play out. But I understand if it can't be done. The flirts do add more to the almost non existent romance, so I am not complaining. Just would be interested to see more along those lines. But I know it depends on how many are interested in that idea in the first place.

Maybe, if it were possible, someone could do that and release it as a separate mod?

By the way, who did do the flirts for Gann?

I'm glad you enjoyed the expanded flirts from the Romance Pack. I wrote most of Gann stuff---and Domi added the rest. I think I wrote 30 flirts/lines of conversation. What I wanted was to make Gann a viable alternative to the OC options. When I played the original game, I fell for Bishop, then Casavir, and then for Gann. Each character has something compelling going for him. With Gann, I assumed that once the PC makes it to Mask of The Betrayer, she's probably matured in her tastes and interests, and a more complex relationship is possible with Gann.

In my own fanfic, though I just finished the Trial from the OC, Gann will make an appearance later on. His characterization is drawn partially from the MOTB story, my interpretation of him thorough the flirtpack, and then my own creative project. But I have spent much time fleshing him out. If you can wait until that chapter is published (it's called "A Memoir of Demons & Angels" and is on fanfiction.com), it just might be worth your "Gann"-while :thumbsup:

But I'd be willing to write the dialogue for an extensive Gann Romance pack, if someone is willing to code it...(Actually, I wouldn't mind making Sand---or any character, really--- romanceable :hm:

See, that's the thing, the coder.

Domi is having trouble finding time to code up Neeshka, and when I have time again to devote to NWN2, it's going to be to work on the Sand romance. If you're interested in contributing ideas or even dialogues, there's a thread here for that. If I like it, and I like most things, I'll happily include it with full credits, but like most people, if I'm going to be coding something, I want some artistic control over the content. I appreciate and gladly accept contributions, up to and including complete dialogues, but I coding something where I have no say in the content is a punishment, not a leisure activity.

See, that's the thing, the coder.

Domi is having trouble finding time to code up Neeshka, and when I have time again to devote to NWN2, it's going to be to work on the Sand romance. If you're interested in contributing ideas or even dialogues, there's a thread here for that. If I like it, and I like most things, I'll happily include it with full credits, but like most people, if I'm going to be coding something, I want some artistic control over the content. I appreciate and gladly accept contributions, up to and including complete dialogues, but I coding something where I have no say in the content is a punishment, not a leisure activity.

Totally understandable. As for coming up with ideas, I might be interested in that for a Gann romance/dialogues. That would be fun and interesting. I would have to ponder that.

And having a coder/writer interested in pursuing it, I forgot to mention that very most important thing. Sorry! :thumbsup: I do know where Domi is coming from though when she wants to make sure she has enough people interested in a romance before pursuing it. It makes perfect sense.

Also, your work on the Cas romance is appreciated. It does have more of a romantic feel and greatly expands on the unmodded version. It adds more "person" to the word "personality" for Casavir. It makes him seem more "real".

Especially the one where PC goes off to see Sydney Natale with the gith and Qara while Casavir is ranting about her being gone without his protection or to aid her in some way. I thought that was amusing when he acted like a tornado and PC could say something like "is the Keep now rubble again?" and "gods, Casavir, I did not know you were that destructive!" Funny stuff. :hm:

But anyway, back on topic.......

I'm glad you enjoyed the expanded flirts from the Romance Pack. I wrote most of Gann stuff---and Domi added the rest. I think I wrote 30 flirts/lines of conversation. What I wanted was to make Gann a viable alternative to the OC options. When I played the original game, I fell for Bishop, then Casavir, and then for Gann. Each character has something compelling going for him. With Gann, I assumed that once the PC makes it to Mask of The Betrayer, she's probably matured in her tastes and interests, and a more complex relationship is possible with Gann.

In my own fanfic, though I just finished the Trial from the OC, Gann will make an appearance later on. His characterization is drawn partially from the MOTB story, my interpretation of him thorough the flirtpack, and then my own creative project. But I have spent much time fleshing him out. If you can wait until that chapter is published (it's called "A Memoir of Demons & Angels" and is on fanfiction.com), it just might be worth your "Gann"-while :hm:

But I'd be willing to write the dialogue for an extensive Gann Romance pack, if someone is willing to code it...(Actually, I wouldn't mind making Sand---or any character, really--- romanceable :)

Cool. But as Berelinde said, it would need a coder. At least 50% of that is possible so far- the writer interested in writing it and then someone who wants to code it.

Fanfic.... I looooovvvve fanfic! I am currently writing my own but it will most likely be awhile before I have that ready as it is going through lots of editing. I am getting some help/pointers with that though. I would be interested in reading your fanfic too.

Oh, and as a humorous side note, "any character romanceable" is cool as long as it isn't Grobnar! Okay, just had to let that one out. :thumbsup: More of my random silliness. Besides no one would be interested in writing/coding/playing that anyway, I would think.

I just wanted to add, that there is no way I will be able to code Gann. Even Neeshka is more than I should have commited to, and I actually like Neeshka. I coded Gann to ensure the pack's completness, and for that reason alone. I simply will not try to find time I do not have for Gann, the character that I have no liking for. Anyway, I am sorry if I sound a bit cold here, but my Palm died, so I was unable to do any writing for a couple of weeks (which sustained my modding ambitions). I have no idea what to do (in other words, should I finally stop fighting the long-lost battle for getting time to mod after finishing Neeshka) and it's really hard on me. I am tired of 18 hour days; I am tired of not being able to complete projects any more; I am tired of not being able to get to my machine for days, and then weeks; I am tired of not even vaguely remembering my mods; and I am tired of not having time to troubleshoot, let alone work on new content; I am tired of being half a year behind on even the newest game already, let alone NWN2.

I just wanted to add, that there is no way I will be able to code Gann. Even Neeshka is more than I should have commited to, and I actually like Neeshka. I coded Gann to ensure the pack's completness, and for that reason alone. I simply will not try to find time I do not have for Gann, the character that I have no liking for. Anyway, I am sorry if I sound a bit cold here, but my Palm died, so I was unable to do any writing for a couple of weeks (which sustained my modding ambitions). I have no idea what to do (in other words, should I finally stop fighting the long-lost battle for getting time to mod after finishing Neeshka) and it's really hard on me. I am tired of 18 hour days; I am tired of not being able to complete projects any more; I am tired of not being able to get to my machine for days, and then weeks; I am tired of not even vaguely remembering my mods; and I am tired of not having time to troubleshoot, let alone work on new content; I am tired of being half a year behind on even the newest game already, let alone NWN2.

I am sorry to hear all that. I wasn't actually really hoping for a complete Gann romance, just wondering if it were possible.

As for your palm, you mean Pomeranian? Losing pets is tough, I know that from my own experience. I have lost a few and it makes life miserable-for a time. :thumbsup::hm:

Hope you feel better and don't worry about the question I asked about the mod. It was just a thought I had and felt the need to express it. :)

Lol, nope, I only have Jina the Cat, and she was alive and well as of this morning, though she somewhat compromised her well-being by waking me up at 3:18 this morning in a fit of unabaited love. Oh, well, I put in a longer yoga practice, I needed it after yesterday's hi/lo training class. Palm is a hand-held device I use to write on a bus to and fro downtown. I am thoroghly fascinated by the iTablet, but I think it's a tad too complex for my purposes. Hubby thinks a mini-laptop will work for me seeing they now have wireless included in the cheapoo models.... we'll see.

Oh, okay. (grins sheepishly) :hm: I wasn't sure what you meant when you said "your palm" so that was what came to mind. That, or palm tree, but I seriously doubted you meant that. LOL. :)

Well, anyway, off to have some coffee....... :thumbsup:

Anyone who gets depressed over a Palm tree needs help. LOL.

Archived