Please clarify the TP2 file for me

WarChiefZeke

no, i hadn't seen any party banters yet, i only just got out of the first dungeon...which has all your party members leave. now to figure out how to do that correctly :laugh: good to know this code is all good though.

leaveparty() makes you love your inventory correct?

LeaveParty() (exact spelling is needed for actions) makes the NPC leave the party with all inventory, except for designated plot items which are given to the PC (or another player if PC inventory is full). so they are not lost by error.

You can use DropInventory() LeaveParty() if you want to give the remaining NPCs a chance to loot the stuff or any other actions to give part of the inventory or specific items to anyone before leaving.

I would follow Roxanne's lead and do the following:

APPEND ~interdia.2da~ ~#ISHY     BISHY~
               UNLESS ~#ISHY~

COPY_EXISTING ~interdia.2da~ ~override/BDBanter.2DA~ // use pre-SoD NPC banter dialogue files during SoD too (intentionally overwrite BDBanter.2DA if already exists)

You can then CHAIN your banter dialogues into the regular BG1 banter files (from interdia.2da) for the other NPCs.

actually trying to add a banter and install gives me this error?

ERROR: Failure("resource [bDMKHIIB.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")

None of the BD---B DLG files exist in the original game files. That is why Roxanne suggested extending the original BG1 banter files into SoD.

Since this is a pure SoD character, you need to create the file first with your tp2

I suggest

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~BDMKHIIB.DLG~ THEN BEGIN

COMPILE ~MyNPC/dialogues/BDMKHIIB.d~

END

and create the respective file BDMKHIIB.d which contains nothing but

BEGIN BDMKHIIB

Put it in TP2 prior to the place where you compile the dialogues that want to append to it.

Nice, banter files work now for SOD companions. should i append previous companions dialogues into the old dialogue file so some old banter may run, would that cause conflict?

my first play-through of SOD is doubly fun as i create stuff for it in the process. we really are lucky to have the IE engine still getting totally new content.

I mean if I were to use the code agb provided. What this does is make the NPCs use the old banter file, right?:

APPEND ~interdia.2da~ ~#ISHY BISHY~
UNLESS ~#ISHY~

COPY_EXISTING ~interdia.2da~ ~override/BDBanter.2DA~

and to answer your previous question agb, there does indeed seem to be times where traditional party banters fire, but this seems to be location based and they work fine even with your previous code active.

COPY_EXISTING ~interdia.2da~ ~override/BDBanter.2DA~

If you do this, you make a global change for ALL NPCs. This may be good for your local game but you may be a bit more specific for a published mod. Like just adding your banter individually to the game

APPEND ~BDBanter.2da~ ~#ISHY BISHY~

UNLESS ~#ISHY~

Note that for EET you may even skip this as this would be done for your mod per default.

Right. I think i'll avoid doing that for now and just do the tedious monkey-work of copying over the banters that would make sense in SOD into new files. I want to do as little as possible to step on the toes of other mods.

So, I understand how to write the script to get it to shout a string reference...but how exactly do I add those appropriate string messages in game? In .d format inside of their dialogue files? This is totally unnecessary, but as I try to write out the SOD quest, i'd like, if possible, just to have them shout a few phrases during the battle.

Right. I think i'll avoid doing that for now and just do the tedious monkey-work of copying over the banters that would make sense in SOD into new files. I want to do as little as possible to step on the toes of other mods.

So, I understand how to write the script to get it to shout a string reference...but how exactly do I add those appropriate string messages in game? In .d format inside of their dialogue files? This is totally unnecessary, but as I try to write out the SOD quest, i'd like, if possible, just to have them shout a few phrases during the battle.

You mean something like this?

NPC receives an item, drops it and displays text overhead saying ~I will not use this!~

Example 1

IF

HasItem("CMCLCK07",Myself)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

DropItem("CMCLCK07",[-1.-1])

DisplayStringWait(Myself,@192)

END

You need a tra file for your mod (you may want one anyway, at least a setup-mymod.tra). Here you may put all the text you want like item descriptions, stringtexts, creature names etc.

You reference this tra at the top of your tp2 (look up any mod tp2 for how to do that)

For the example you put a line there

@192 =~I will not use this!~

Example 2

IF

HasItem("CMCLCK07",Myself)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

DropItem("CMCLCK07",[-1.-1])

DisplayStringWait(Myself,~I will not use this!~)

END

Might look easier at first glance but becomes quite unpleasant to read code if you have longer texts.

I personally prefer tra like example 1, as in the long term you will have at least a basic file anyway and it is also the basis for (tra)nslating the mod eventually.

So either Weidu compiling the baf file adds the text to dialog.tlk directly or it reads the text to be added from the tra file.

Archived