IR v3 Feedback

310 replies to this topic

#301 Arthas

Arthas
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

Question:

will blackrazor be tweaked? the weapon is not even comparable to a +2 saving throws bonus

and btw, I wonder if the vorpal weapon by the githyanki could be made useful for those that play ToB. Currently, I doubt it is, if not for mobs

#302 kreso

kreso
  • Modders
  • 2598 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:13 PM

The problem with Blackrazor is that the bonus for returning it to the genie (+2 saves, as you mentioned) is usually much more valuable than +15HP and a +3 longsword at this point in the game;+ IR provides quite a few alternatives for 1-handed weapons. I agree that it's situational, but it isn't bad (and immunities it grants are probably the most useful immunities in ToB).

I don't understand the part about Silver Sword. You find it too weak for ToB? 

#303 Arthas

Arthas
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:23 AM

blackrazor: I'm sorry but on this point I do not agree with you. I understand that you find these immunities valuable in ToB, but after installing IR I've never even considered  getting blackrazor, while I do get it on the playthroughs that do not have IR installed, or at least I start considering if it is useful (If I play with a party it is certainly valuable. If I do play solo\no reload I start to get undecided, but I usually tend on getting the good reward)
Right now, I would never get it if I use a party, nor get it if I play solo.

Would it be a bad idea to tweak it?

Silver sword: Yup, but I'm open to your opinion: honestly I didn't experiment with it too much - do you know how to get the most of it? I usually use it only against the mobs under Gromnir's castle.

#304 kreso

kreso
  • Modders
  • 2598 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:30 AM

If you have ideas about tweaking Blackrazor, post them. 

About Silver Sword - I find this a very nice weapon, I don't see anything wrong with it. Note that if you install "revised critical hit aversion" this weapon gets even better, 20% of the time you'll be doing double damage. It's also +4, so it can hit anything. Imo, it's better than Ravager halberd - and probably only topped by Gram when it comes to two-handed weapons.

#305 Arthas

Arthas
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

Question: what is the purpose we should be achieving? Or are there more purposes at once? For example, I would say that we need a

> a weapon that can easily be on par with other ToB weapons
> powerful enough to make the player undecided between good reward and bad reward
> something that should be restricted to a charname of evil nature, more than being a reward that could be used by anyone in the party

Do we agree?

#306 kreso

kreso
  • Modders
  • 2598 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

That's all good, I'm more interested in the effects you'd put on it. What effects would make it as powerful as it should be? 

#307 Arthas

Arthas
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

Could you link the sword's power to the amount of people you killed with it?

If you can't, to me there should be a burst of power each time you kill someone during a fight

Know that the sword itself was once home of an atropal, http://forgottenreal...om/wiki/Atropal and inside a campaign module that had blackrazor in it, it had a personality who looked for endless carnage.

Edited by Arthas, 19 April 2017 - 08:44 AM.

#308 kreso

kreso
  • Modders
  • 2598 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

Could you link the sword's power to the amount of people you killed with it?

If there is a way, I don't know anything about it.

If you can't, to me there should be a burst of power each time you kill someone during a fight

This is doable, but sword kinda already works that way. I could tweak it so it grants bonuses after you kill someone with it (and buff them) but I fear this would be a nerf, not a buff. In ToB, your party is well equipped, has +4/+5 weapons, your mages toss ADHW/Dragon Breath etc - chances are, your long-sword wielder won't actually be killing that much anymore.

#309 Arthas

Arthas
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

I will give it a thought ot two, so don't consider these definitives.

1) Souldrinking: 15% chance to drain one level from the target, raising wielder's maximum hit points by 5, increasing his strength by 1, and hasting him for 1 turn

Would it be bad to make the haste an improved haste for more than one turn, raising the hp cap by 15, draining the enemy const by 1 while gaining 1 str? I would say that it is too strong if the souldrinking ability wasn't capped by a percentage, but was on hit.

Give a regen but only for the time you are under the souldrinking effect

2) In the past, demiurgus added a blood rage ability
I previoulsy added a Blood Rage ability (5% chance on every successful hit the wielder goes berserk, gaining +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls, +2 bonus to saving throws, but losing control of himself for 1 turn). I temporarily discarded it, though it was fun and quite roleplaying considering the weapon's background...what do you think about it?

I hate losing control of my character. Would it be bad to add the blood rage back, nerfing it a bit, making it cumulative, without having to lose control?

On kill activation, wielder gains
+2 bonus to attack and damage rolls (maybe should be a +1 bonus)
+1 bonus to saving throws

Know that the saving throws being cumulative wouldn't be too pushy, given the story of the sword. The creature inside would definitely get stronger and give an edge to the owner to drink more souls

3) You could make it so that the character gets improved haste and a bonus to attack and damage rolls (still cumulable) without the saving throws part.

4) I was thinking that if you add something that could drain out the lifeforce it would be too similar to the vorpal sword. What if the sword casted finger of death on the character you are hitting? If the sword killed the enemy, you would gert the blood rage bonus or the saving throws, or both

5) What if the sword would drain constitution on the character being hit?

6) Would it be feasible to get even a better 'burst' when you drain someone of some levels? I think that blood rage could be added on top of that 5%

7) there should be something related to saving throws inside the bonus you gets, because by doing the right choice you get the good stuff permanently, while doing the evil one shouldn't punish you but also rewards you almost as strongly as these +2 ST. so the nature of the effects related to saving throws should be temporary, but there should be,

8) If we went from a lore-perspective, the sword is home for a creature really similar to (if not) an atropal.
http://forgottenreal...om/wiki/Atropal

What would such a creature give to the owner, to drink a soul? We got to add also that the sword is being given for greed, so the creature itself and the act of charname is based on greed. Ideas?

Edited by Arthas, 20 April 2017 - 01:11 AM.

#310 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 5974 posts
  • Location:The town where the dead haven't keeled over, yet. In Finland.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:42 AM

1) Souldrinking: 15% chance to drain one level from the target, raising ...

Yeah, except that has no effect on anyone else except the party members ... if you don't level drain them completely. And if you do, it insta-kills everything(without a level drain immunity, of course). Yeah, the effect is that broken. Do this without the level drain, it is probably better.

5 has the same weakness. Drain effects give a toss of benefit unless you drain the creature completely, and then it's insta-kill ...

Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.

Here's how to install all the stable mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games.

#311 Arthas

Arthas
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

rip?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users