BG1/BGEE Items

Demivrgvs

BG2 items moved into BG1

Heart of the Golem +2

There are two of copies of it in BG1. If we replace Marek's (?) one with a plain Dagger +2, what would be the purpose of having a +2 specimen with unique description, but no unique abilities?

Also, HotG can be obtain early in game, at the point where a +1 item with a special ability would be more consistent than a plain +2. Come to think of it, Dagger of Venom was made +2 (which is fine imo), so it leaves no special +1 dagger.

+1 STR seems fine to me.

I feel fine with Salk's cold/elec resistance bonus. STR/CON or their equivalent would do nice as well.

Ankheg's Plate Mail +2

I insist it should be made +1 - it already has the scale quality, which reduces encumbrance penalties and allow druids to wear it.

I also suggested to add here small acid resistance bonus for flavor.

Night's Embrace & Boots of Stealth

I still think +40% stealth bonus is a bit too high... I've played a multi fighter/assassin - guess how many skill points he has got, - and still he was able to kill the entire level (~20 enemies) in Cloakwood Mines wearing Boots of Speed, despite investing also into Find Traps.

BGEE items

Rugged Leathers +2

Keep the stealth penalty, remove negative AC modifiers?

Add Barkskin 1/day?

The Magma Bulwark +2

Add mithral quality, lower ench to +1. Add 1/day Fireshield, as Cahir says?

Buckley's Buckler

Does anyone even use bucklers?

Moonlight Walkers & Glimmering Bands

Leave them alone for now. Rasaad's stats are quite mediocre, he does need extra help from equipment

Belt of Antipode

Change to 50% fire res, -25% cold res?

Adoy's Belt

Change to +5% to wild surge mod.

The Golden Axe +1

Keen?

Beruel's Retort +1

We don't have orcs in BG1...

Knockback effect? Target must save, or be thrown back 5 feet.

Night Club +1

Change to caster's staff. AC bonus vs missiles (+2?), Mirror Image 3/day.

Mighty Oak +2

+1 STR if we don't come up with anything better.

Hammer of Dawn +1

Sunfire 1/day?

Dazzle target on hit?

The Chesley Crusher +2

I'm quite fine with the concept, just change the effect to -1/2 ApR and fix the speed at 10. KR Barbarian will love it.

The Thresher +2

Either Swiftness, or Quickness and lower ench.

The Stupefier +1

I don't really mind stun. Make it 90HP as in PW:Stun, reduce the probability to 10%, and add a save?

Harrower +1

Change to +1, +3 vs undead, maybe add stun/daze/hold undead on hit with save.

Rancor +1

Soul Reaver effect? +3 HP healed per kill.

Neera's Staff +1

Well, fine as it is.

Sling of Unerring Accuracy

I wish I could help...

I think 10% stun chance with a save is a sufficient power reduction for the Stupefier.

I like the Belt of Antipode suggestion, but think it would make more sense if the bonus was the same magnitude as the penalty. You do get it right off the bat, after all.

As for bucklers, I do use them on occasion with bards and thieves if the enchantments are appealing enough.

Elven Chain Mail: This already exist in BGEE. So it doesn't need to be added if IR is installed in BGEE imo.

Hide Armor and Splint Mail: There is no enchanted Hide Armor in BG1 and even BGEE. In addition, Splint Armor only has a +1 enchanted one. I think one unique Hide Armor & Splint Mail would be great addition, or at least +2 enchanted magical ones are needed.

Throwing weapons and Throwing Hammer: There is a Throwing Axe. Why not Throwing Hammer? :D And I've personally felt that the weights of throwing weapons are too heavy to carry. Slightly less weight would make them more attractive and useful imo.

Throwing Dagger, Returning Dagger and Returning Dart: There are no enchanted Throwing Dagger. Furthermore, there are no throwing dagger and dart which have returning ability.

Spear & Quarterstaff: There is no unique spear & quarterstaff in BGEE (except Backbiter +3, which is a cursed weapon). I think at least one unique spear & quarterstaff should be added.

Wakizashi, NInja-to and Katana: These also don't have unique one. But these are probably rare weapons, so unique ones might not be necessary in BGEE...

Composite Short Bows would need to be added but I just omitted it because RR mod already did.

Actually, I think we're better off unifiyng BGEE and BG1 items, rather than providing for them as for two separate platforms.

In other words, take BG1, see which items are missing, re-use BGEE content as much as possible, then fill in the remaining gaps.

E.g. we can make The Magma Bulwark +2 a splint mail, and Rugged Leathers +2 - a hide leather (they don't have their own BAMs anyway).

Stuff of Kazgaroth

Kazgaroth's lore doesn't help me much, thus these items might not change much unless needed for balance purposes. On a side note, Kazgaroth was a gargantuan T-rex like creature, how the hell can a medium sized creature "wear" a giant beast claw as a ring?!? o.O

Maybe rename it to something like "The Talon of Kazgaroth" and make it an amulet.

Anyway, there are some major flaws...

The Claw of Kargaroth

- the equipped effects of the Claw are dispellable (already fixed by some mod, but should be fixed by IR too)

- the blur animation is annoying

The Horn of Kazgaroth

- you can buff almost the entire party (based on the classes you have) with the effects of the horn

- if you run out of charges -> just sell / rebuy

- 15 charges (30 on recharge)

=> I think "once per day" would be the better concept. In exchangefor the nerf one could buff the short duration or make it a short lasting party buff (I expected it to work as the latter the first time I used it)

E.g. we can make The Magma Bulwark +2 a splint mail, and Rugged Leathers +2 - a hide leather (they don't have their own BAMs anyway).

This is good idea indeed!

The only thing what I worry about is that such items may be plain + enchanted equipment while having unique item names. That is, the developers of BGEE just may have changed the names of items from +x equipment to something having unique names. I don't remember exactly about it though...

Thanks everyone. I'm a little busy right now but I'll post what I did yesterday or plan to do tonight about it asap.

Actually, I think we're better off unifiyng BGEE and BG1 items, rather than providing for them as for two separate platforms.

In other words, take BG1, see which items are missing, re-use BGEE content as much as possible, then fill in the remaining gaps.

Pretty much my plan. :) The idea is:

- if a new item can be turned into a good underrepresented item than tweak it (see Arda's Idea below)

- if the new item has really no redeeming feature "ask Arda to make his component to remove it" :D (Harrower longsword belongs to a popular item type and it is just a worse Flame Tongue in every possible way)

This is pretty much what we did with Bonus Merchant items as well, and nothing prevents us from re-introducing those items in later updates if we'll ever find a way to make them unqiue

This is a perfect example of the above. :) Splint mails in particular do needed new specimens (even within BG2 we only have Armor of Faith, Ashen Scales and White Dragon Armor).

Similarly, the Tresher is a terrible flail, but we do needed more flails. It's a little bit more daring, but Buckley's Buckler could be turned into a unique medium shield imo considering we already have a unique buckler within BG1, but not a single medium shield. And so on.

@Arda, I'll ask it to Mike via PM, but if you have them, could you send me the BGEE bams for these items? It would be helpful for me to know which items have them and which not, and for things like armors and shields I can re-color them better unless they asked Erephine to do it (unlikely - and considering the low quality of the whole thing I have very low expectations for everything they did for BGEE without modders help :( ).

Stuff of Kazgaroth

The Claw of Kargaroth

- the equipped effects of the Claw are dispellable (already fixed by some mod, but should be fixed by IR too)

- the blur animation is annoying

I'd simply change it's usability flags. No Paladins, Rangers and Druids. Agree on how blur is annoying, but I usually remove it myself via NI. I haven't noticed that effects are dispellable.

The Horn of Kazgaroth

- you can buff almost the entire party (based on the classes you have) with the effects of the horn

- if you run out of charges -> just sell / rebuy

- 15 charges (30 on recharge)

=> I think "once per day" would be the better concept. In exchangefor the nerf one could buff the short duration or make it a short lasting party buff (I expected it to work as the latter the first time I used it)

Agree on 1x/day concept. I can't say much about how useful this item is since I never used it for some reason.

Elven Chain Mail: This already exist in BGEE. So it doesn't need to be added if IR is installed in BGEE imo.

Throwing Dagger, Returning Dagger and Returning Dart: There are no enchanted Throwing Dagger. Furthermore, there are no throwing dagger and dart which have returning ability.

Elven Chain Mail is only acquirable in BGEE by doing a quest for a specific NPC which is not offered until you have him in your party for some time, and there is only 1 of them. There should be some variety in the path to obtain it, imo.

And yes please about the returning dart/throwing dagger/whatever. Even if it is just a +1, or *only* has returning and no other combat bonuses.

Just thought I'd add on this compiled list of all (new) magical items in BG:EE. Most of it is redundant in this thread, but just in case it might come in handy. :)

Thanks man, I already had all those infos from various sources but that list is compiled in a very good format.

The real problem when it comes to BGEE stuff is that those items don't have their own unique bams/icons, and generally come with lame 1 line lore/backgrounds. I do have in mind what to do with almost all of them but without those two things they really do not have the minimum requirements to reach IR's standards. :(

BG1 Items

I started to update the first post on this matter but I'd like to discuss a few things if possible. The following is what I did for BG1 stuff, but depending on how much time Arda and Mike still need I may further work on various items.

Necklace of Missiles --> Amulet of Health

For the moment I couldn't find any better idea: but an amulet which increases max hp by 10 might not be so bad, especially for BG1, am I wrong? I just wanted this item to get a while equipped effect rather than behaving just like a Wand of Missiles/Fireballs. I also replaced v3's background with a new one (taken from NWN2).

Heart of the Golem

For now I've only made it a returning throwing dagger (BG1 did not have any). Personally I would also lower its enchantment by 1 (isn't it available really early?) and add something else in exchange.

Kazgaroth's Artifacts

I've left them as they were, simply fixing a few things (e.g. dispellable effects) and refining lore and descriptions. I really have no idea how to handle them differently, but I don't like them at all right now.

When it comes to the Horn I would at least change the 30 charges with 1/day use.

I still don't understand how the claw of a giant beast (albeit a shapeshifting one) can be worn as a ring by a medium sized creature. Really, WTF?!? I thought about changing it into an amulet, but I guess it wouldn't make a lot more sense (only a little bit better imo). Another crazy idea I had was to make it a fist/claw weapon (with no required proficiency), but I don't know if such a drastic change would be fine for all players.

Moonblade

For now I've done only the mandatory changes/fixes. This sword is now a real long sword, not a dagger, but Xan is automatically proficient with it while wielding it.

I would gladly re-discuss its other abilities (e.g. replace the boooring fire res with something a bit more unique like a Spellblade or Spellstoring effect). On a side note, is it just me or +3 enchantment is kinda crazy for BG1?

Durlag's Goblet

No change here. The same filename is used differently from BG1 and BG2 and I do not dare to mess with it.

Moonblade

For now I've done only the mandatory changes/fixes. This sword is now a real long sword, not a dagger, but Xan is automatically proficient with it while wielding it.

I would gladly re-discuss its other abilities (e.g. replace the boooring fire res with something a bit more unique like a Spellblade or Spellstoring effect). On a side note, is it just me or +3 enchantment is kinda crazy for BG1?

A +3 longsword would be very powerful... if it were in the hands of someone who wasn't an enchanter with a CON score of 7. (Life is both hollow and short when Xan leads the way.) You can only really benefit from the weapon if you turn Xan into a Fighter/Mage. This has become somewhat popular BECAUSE MOONBLADE.

Moonblade

...On a side note, is it just me or +3 enchantment is kinda crazy for BG1?

Well think about it, would you go on about to try and kill Ogre Berserkers with your mage that had the STR of 13 without... the +3 enchantment ? PS: His CON is 7, so he has 16-20 HPs total max.

You can only really benefit from the weapon if you turn Xan into a Fighter/Mage. This has become somewhat popular BECAUSE MOONBLADE.

Nope... it became popular because Kulyok added that option as a feature to her mod. And ps, the Moonblade is made to reflect that as a mod item, so there's no point in trying to nerf it there.

PS, it's not actually +3 enchanted item, it has no enchantment(as in the items enchantment is 0, as in zero) actually in BG1.

We're all doomed.

couldn't resist.

With all the SWTOR stuff going on, I think a throwing Moonblade would be cool - after all, everyone's melee THAC0 is horrible in BG1, and a throwing dagger is more useful for a mage than a melee weapon.

One point about the enchantment: kind BGEE people changed the name of Moonblade in BG2, it's now "Moonblade +3", so I had to re-patch it with a new name("Moonblade") back for the +4 version. Same may be true for BGEE - if you change the blade's enchantment, you may need to patch the name.

Just thought I'd add on this compiled list of all (new) magical items in BG:EE. Most of it is redundant in this thread, but just in case it might come in handy. :)

Thanks man, I already had all those infos from various sources but that list is compiled in a very good format.

The real problem when it comes to BGEE stuff is that those items don't have their own unique bams/icons, and generally come with lame 1 line lore/backgrounds. I do have in mind what to do with almost all of them but without those two things they really do not have the minimum requirements to reach IR's standards. :(

I would like to see an option, which remove those unsuitable items from BG:EE, on the installation of IR if you could add this without consuming lots of time. :)

Archived