INT/WIS/CHA/PERSUADE dialogue options in mods

Kulyok

Dialogue options depending on WIS/INT/CHA/etc  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I'm writing a small mod(very slowly) and I would like to introduce some dialogue options that would depend on CHARNAME's wisdom and persuasion skills(intelligence, wisdom and charisma, that is). I know that most modern games show these options as [intimidate] Listen to me, Republic scum! or [Persuade] Come to the dark side, we have cookies! - so that the players are aware that they have a chance to use their persuasion skills, or influence the situation somehow.

In Baldur's Gate, however, that usually doesn't happen. But I know that some players would like to see extra options marked, because these are usually the most interesting ones. Should I do it? Or am I going all wrong about all this, and I shouldn't implement any wisdom/charisma/intelligence-related options at all? (In which case I might delete a few, and I would not use any [WIS] or [CHA] tags).

Tell me what you think, please.

Fwiw, I loved Torment dialogue options, so T-up for implementing this. CHA and WIS scores are so useless in BG that it's a shame more mods like this don't exist imo.

P.S.

I wouldn't mark the options as "WIS" (I don't like this.) but would prefer something such as this (left picture ofc :) ). Then, if WIS>some value you get "x".

I would recommend that you keep the requirements etc but you shouldn't actually show them or an [Aspect] in game. Better yet, if you are good enough, you should show your hand by giving two "almost" same dialog options one being there if the character passes the requirement while the other being there if it does not, the difference is that one fails while the other succeeds.

Come to the dark side, we give gifts! (Cha ≥ 10) :outcome fail.

Come to the dark side, we have cookies! (Cha < 10) :outcome pass.

I have never take bribes, but cookies, ouh yes sir. :D

Just have extra options show up if you fit the requirements. Please.

Having wise party members step in and offer you the wiser options if you choose the wis<6 "Uh, guess I'll give you my artifact sword for sharpening" option could be entertaining. Or the other way round.

Oh shoot. I typed a reply without posting, then voted, and the typing was gone. Sorry -

I would like the reply options to be marked, because it is not common for BG to have different outcomes to reply options for different stats and I would like to know I am trying my luck (in BG, it's more like "reply options don't show if you don't have the requirements, so that would be what I am expecting - if I see it, I have a chance of using it successfully). Since it's BG, "persuade" would leave me clueless as I wouldn't know which stat it checks, so I voted for "[WIS]...".

Don't know if this is possible, but maybe these additional dialogue options could have different font color? It will eliminate immersion breaking markings while indicating that some social skills were used at the same time.

no, you can't change the color.

I wouldn't be bothered by a clue tag, but no so explicit/specific as Jastey suggests. It's too tempting to powergame through otherwise. Specifics are needed only for lazy dialog writers, where the same reply is repeated several times and some have stat checks attached.

Don't mark them. The few in the game- like the githyanki not attacking you if you hand in the silver sword- aren't marked, so new ones shouldn't be marked.

...At least, I don't mark mine when I have them. Hm.

Well, sounds like you've made your decision, but for what it's worth, I prefer having extra dialogue options for high social and mental stats. Dialogue is a social character's bag, baby - and they're taking a hit in their physical stats to get high charisma and wisdom, so...

I'm torn between [PERSUADE] and [WIS], but I probably prefer the latter. I'm sympathetic to those saying that displaying the stat "looks bad", I sorta feel the same, but at the same time for most players it would feel more satisfying imo to actually know they are using those precious stat points they invested into INT/WIS/CHA.

Btw, showing a tag shouldn't necessarily means a successfull result, but just that you are trying to convince, persuade or intimidate relaying on a particular stat.

Anyway, regardless the implementation, this will be super cool. I and Arda dreamed of doing this within an eventual Quest Revision, but I fear such a mod will never see the light. :( I really really hope you manage to work on it, especially because I know you are a very good writer. :)

Archived