backstabibility

lynx

From what I've read, any melee weapon useable by single class thieves can be used for backstabbing.

I've seen some mods that make backstabbing possible with other weapons too (item revisions?). It appears to be done by just making those weapons usable by thieves.

UAI does not affect backstabibility, but it only modifies a stat, which is (at least in the gemrb case) checked before the real usability.

Is the item's (un)usability bitfield really the only way of making a weapon usable to backstab?

An item flag would be the best, but I find it a little odd that they would add a flag that disables backstabibility instead of having a normal backstabibility bit in the first place.

Or maybe it is both, a weapon can be used for backstabbing if it is usable by a thief or has a bit set. Or maybe it is set at load time based on the usability ... Calls for some testing, as there are plenty of unknowns in the itm and ext header flags fields.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Currently, there is no specific flag that enables/disables backstabbing.

I was thinking about patching one in.

To answer your first question more clearly:

Is the item's (un)usability bitfield really the only way of making a weapon usable to backstab?

Yes, you can't bypass the thief usability check.

What about ranged weapons usable by thieves?

That's already 2 flags.

In BG2 you cannot backstab by ranged weapons (can you?)

In NWN and (OOTS comics:) you can backstab/sneak attack by bow+arrow.

So it seems there is a room for interpretations, engine/game versions.

A separate item flag seems to be the best solution, so once you 'patch one in', we'll use the same in GemRB.

In BG2 you cannot backstab by ranged weapons (can you?)

No, it's like the first check in the backstabbing code. (abiliy type == 2)

A separate item flag seems to be the best solution, so once you 'patch one in', we'll use the same in GemRB.

Two things that I'm still thinking about:

Should it be an item flag or an item ability flag?

And should that flag also bypass the ranged weapon check?

Just please don't use flags already used in iwd2!

I'm usually picking bits from the last byte, so that should be fine. Let's say Bit 25?

(The ability flags are a dword, at least in ToB.)

Shouldn't be too difficult, but first I have to fix the attacks per round stacking, which will take some time, since I have to rewrite the whole effect and probably some other things too.

The IWD2 flags are on the high part of the dword (but i guess they are bit 16,17).

0x0026 2 (word) Flags

0x0028 2 (word) Attack type

* 0 = Normal

* 1 = Bypass armor

* 2 = Keen

I plan to discover all bits, sometime.

Btw, do you see only those 4 (for bg2) that are already documented on IESDP?

Archived