SR V4 final

kreso

@Ulb

I don't understand what's the differnece in case you're solo. Domination = instant death = stoning = permanent hold = feeblemind etc. In all cases, it's game over.

I can get around permanent/item equiped immunities, that's not an issue.

I'm not sure what difference you're talking about?

You said you changed FtS to "hold and then kills you in 5 rounds" because you wanted to keep the game-over effect for solo players. I was merely suggesting one way to achieve that effect without fundamentally chaning what FtS does and deviating from the game's lore.

My intention wasn't only to end the game for solo players; that will happen even now. If you're not soloing, but have no means to revert petrification, you'll be stuck (can't travel between areas) and the only way to proceed is to kill petrified character. That's what I want to avoid, since it breaks immersion.

My intention wasn't only to end the game for solo players; that will happen even now. If you're not soloing, but have no means to revert petrification, you'll be stuck (can't travel between areas) and the only way to proceed is to kill petrified character. That's what I want to avoid, since it breaks immersion.

Yeah this happened to me once and it was super annoying.

it's a relatively niche problem, while an inconsistent spell (perified characters you meet work differently) is a general problem...so you're beating a specific problem by creating a general problem (inconsistency), and for me it's just unappealing, so I have to agree with Ulb

Woah, it's happening. Demi would've been proud, guys.

Some input here.

Insects (all 3 spells ) make target berserk instead of panicked (1 round, save vs death to avoid)

Wouldn't this create all sorts of collateral damage in cityscapes (i.e., random berserked mooks killing important questgivers and whatnot)? Not quite sure about this one.

Protection from Missiles is now caster-only.

About time, was all too cheesy and I don't remember enemy mages ever using it on their allies anyway.

Flesh to Stone will kill the target after 5 rounds have passed if not cured

In the same boat with others here, killing the petrified character is convenient, but it wasn't like that lore-wise. I agree with DavidW: make it 24h long (or hell, even 8h), and to keep it interesting maybe add a semi-permanent (i.e. curable with Restoration/Heal spells) -1 str/dex stat penalty on top of that.

Greater Heroism (Fear immunity, THAC0 +4, +4 saves, extra HP equal to caster level; max 20). Good enough for a 6th level slot? Can be cast on anybody.

I, for one, approve, although it feels kinda generic (and extra HPs feel cheesy).

How about Shadow Walk? Here's the link: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowWalk.htm

Basically, Expeditious Retreat on steroids, with some side effects. Caster is blinded/can't cast for the duration, gains improved invisibility, non-detection and doubles his movement speed, for, say, 1 round/level (1 hour/level as per SRD sounds kinda insane for the purposes of BG). Instant cast similar to Stoneskin and such. This thingy here:

Any creatures touched by you when shadow walk is cast also make the transition to the borders of the Plane of Shadow.

They may opt to follow you, wander off through the plane, or stumble back into the Material Plane (50% chance for either of the latter results if they are lost or abandoned by you). Creatures unwilling to accompany you into the Plane of Shadow receive a Will saving throw, negating the effect if successful.

^Probably can be emulated by giving caster a touch weapon that makes other creatures blind/unable to cast spells/invisible/non-detected for a set period of time when struck. Cool or nah?

edit: typos.

Edited by n-ghost

I doubt insects will cause issues, unless you willingly cast them in inns etc. These spells are rarely used by AI (BG1 Cloakwood & Larswood, BG2 Druid Grove, ToB Yaga Shura's mother). Same would apply to confusion, no?

Petrification - is all ok for 8/24 hours?

Shadow walk would be kinda ok, but Shadow Door already does pretty much the same (mazes nearby enemies on a failed save).

I forgot to mention it earlier, but about that insect change..I really don't like it. (Seems to be a pattern here, sorry for being such a spoil sport :p)

I just don't see the point of it, neither thematically nor from a mechanical pov.

Sure, being attacked by a swarm of insects would probably make you go "berserk" in the sense of furiously flailing and bashing around, in order to rid yourself of the insects. It sure as hell wouldn't make you randomly run up to the next best person and start attacking them (while merrily ignoring the insects biting away at you).

The target should be seen running around, being occupied with the insects and hardly able to do anything else.

Fear simulates that situation perfectly while berserk doesn't make any sense.

If you're not soloing, but have no means to revert petrification, you'll be stuck (can't travel between areas) and the only way to proceed is to kill petrified character.

No, you can just remove them from your party and travel on.

FtS as it is right now in SR is fine. It gives prepared parties a chance to counter/handle the effect without disrupting party banter/npc story progressions. I don't see why the argument of "but what about unprepared parties?" is valid in any way. Following that line of thought you would have to do away with all kinds of spell protections as well because parties might not have prepared to have a way to dispell them...

Eh I must say that after giving it a second thought what Ulb says makes sense. Again.

Perhaps it'd be best to leave the panic effect for the insects spells.

I like DavidW's idea about a fixed duration for the Flesh to Stone petrified effect. And I like it even better with n-ghost's additional semi-permanent penalty.

you would have to do away with all kinds of spell protections as well because parties might not have prepared to have a way to dispell them...

There's a big difference between duration = 5 turns and duration = permanent. The fact you can kick somebody out of party isn't a solution. Some NPCs leave forever if you do that.

Sure, being attacked by a swarm of insects would probably make you go "berserk" in the sense of furiously flailing and bashing around, in order to rid yourself of the insects. It sure as hell wouldn't make you randomly run up to the next best person and start attacking them (while merrily ignoring the insects biting away at you).

The target should be seen running around, being occupied with the insects and hardly able to do anything else.

Fear simulates that situation perfectly while berserk doesn't make any sense.

Some faith in my abilities, please. :)

They won't just "randomly" follow you around and keep bashing you. You might get hit occasionaly, it's not like they'll be running amok following their target across the map. And if anything, immunity to fear effects shouldn't stop this effect.

Eh I must say that after giving it a second thought what Ulb says makes sense. Again.

Perhaps it'd be best to leave the panic effect for the insects spells.

I like DavidW's idea about a fixed duration for the Flesh to Stone petrified effect. And I like it even better with n-ghost's additional semi-permanent penalty.

I agree with all of this (and thus Ulb's comments on insect spells, DavidW's on fts duration and ghosts comments on the semi permanent penalty) Edited by Grammarsalad