Community Filename Prefix Reservations

61 replies to this topic

#16 jcompton

jcompton

Lord Bigenvy

• Modders
  • 629 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:19 AM

I continue to discourage group prefixing, because what's the point? It's hardly the end of the world if your files aren't all marked with your community insignia, especially when FARCTURE.

Yes, although the "everyone has a personal prefix" thing can still get to be troublesome if you're collaborating with someone else. Unless I planned to use Ghrey's J# prefix for Kelsey (which I didn't because it was "his" prefix and I am morally opposed to the dangerous abuse of the reserved # character), we ran into some "bah, you called it THAT?" problems, especially on Kelsey-TOB.

And yes, farcture's hell on prefixes.
"[I]t's a testament to the determined RPG fraternity that a number of Baldur's Gate II mods have been successfully produced. The best can be found at pocketplane.net." PC Gamer UK

#17 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Gibberlings
  • 1220 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:40 AM

[quote]Ideally a single netconnected database should run this and each mod site have an update function.[quote]

This is a sensible idea. As is one central tutorial site, one central place for downloads, one central place for examples and reference material etc. Unfortunately, I doubt it will ever happen :)

#18 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Gibberling Poobah
  • 9483 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:26 AM

The closest thing to a centralized db at the moment is IESDP. I've always felt it should be the keeper of the prefixes, as I consider them to be a modding resource. Not that I'm trying to dump more work on igi, of course... :)

Edited by CamDawg, 19 August 2004 - 11:27 AM.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

#19 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Gibberlings
  • 1220 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:12 PM

The IESDP did used to contain the prefix list, iirc.
But it became out of date, with the up-to-date copy on the TBG forums, so I just put a link to there instead.

#20 Baronius

Baronius

Robed Bandit

• Modders
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:28 AM

Centralization is a nice dream. As for IESDP, it is possible because it is a collection of technical knowledge. (We, the community, can be proud of IESDP -- it is a real community work, the example of how we can work together)

However, the central place for downloads or tutorials (I took these two examples from igi's post) is not really possible. Modders, modder groups, people, create their own works, realise their own ideas - and naturally do not agree in everything. It is natural that they aren't in the same group, same part of the community. Additionally the natural (and healthy) rivalry is always there, let's not deny it: a modder wants to his mod be better, the best etc. As far as this is between natural and honest limits, I think that it is acceptable and correct.
The 'big unite' will never happen. However, the good and cultivated relationship between modding groups (I could say: communities; but we're one big community, aren't we?) is primary and important.

EDIT: grammar and style (*sigh*)

Edited by Baronius, 20 August 2004 - 04:31 AM.

#21 Andyr

Andyr

HELLO EVERYBODY

• Retired Gibberlings
  • 4534 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:09 AM

One Community to rule them all, one Community to find them, one Community to bring them all and in the darkness bind them... :)
Since you're here, download G3 mods please...

Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

The most reliable way to get hold of me is via email (button when viewing my profile).

#22 Baronius

Baronius

Robed Bandit

• Modders
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:04 AM

Someone is a LoTR addict (not fan, ADDICT) here... :)

#23 Andyr

Andyr

HELLO EVERYBODY

• Retired Gibberlings
  • 4534 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:11 AM

Who?
Since you're here, download G3 mods please...

Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

The most reliable way to get hold of me is via email (button when viewing my profile).

#24 jester

jester

Not the silent, brooding type.

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:49 AM

Of course I would only use this community to do good. :)

#25 julwise

julwise

"Keep cool, my babies."

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:26 PM

Of course I would only use this community to do good. :)

That's, out of a desire to do good, more accurately. Oh crap, i've just revealed myself. :(

#26 Baronius

Baronius

Robed Bandit

• Modders
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:17 PM

The community filename prefix list was reorganized and greatly upgraded.

#27 Rastor

Rastor

The last time that I was sober, I was five.

• Fixpackers
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 05:10 PM

Since the Black Wyrm forums no longer allow unregistered people to even look at them anymore, any chance that list could be posted someplace where we can access it?

#28 SimDing0

SimDing0

Extremely cute and fluffy and lovely.

• Fixpackers
  • 1319 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:28 AM

Since the Black Wyrm forums no longer allow unregistered people to even look at them anymore

Uh. Who on earth decided that was a good idea?

#29 Baronius

Baronius

Robed Bandit

• Modders
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 06:20 AM

The Council, and it was a good idea. They were temporarily closed for a day or two, for various reasons. Yesterday they have been opened again.

If this had been a permanent decision of the Council and not a temporary status, it would certainly have been announced somehow. We always keep our visitors informed.

By the way, Rastor, the list is always available at http://www.blackwyrm...et/prefixes.php . No need for any forum to check the list.

#30 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Utter Bastard

• Gibberling Poobah
  • 3298 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 06:30 AM

Any chance you could correct the spelling of my username at some point?

"Leave me be, I don't want to argue.
I just get confused and I come all undone.
If I agree, well it's just to appease you,
'Cause I don't remember what we're fighting for."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users