Mod Compatibility List for EET

Hmm, I think that's a problem, because weidu checks for the existing entries, everytime you install a mod and if the tp2 and the translation files aren't found the existing entrys would be changed to something like this:

~setup-modname.tp2~ #0 #0 // ??? -> : 

I see - and probably some mods using global scripts may attempt to append to mods they find in the log even if they are in the other part of the game. I forgot that weidu.log is used for more purpose than just analysis,

Still, there may exist another alternative to produce such an install protocol for the EET as a whole - in BGT that was/is a highly valuable resource for any type of troubleshooting.

Input for analysis

One of the important sources of information for analysis in the game is Weidu.log.

In EET there are now two such files one from BGEE and one from BG2EE starting with EET.

Would it not be helpful to copy the BGEE Weidu.log during EET install and append the succeeding installation to it?

You would always be able to determine in which part of the game a mod is by the reference to EET in the log, but only one log would provide you with the complete information about what is in the game at a glance.

I think you might need to comment out the part from BGEE so that WeiDU doesn't trip out if you ask it to uninstall everything in the log...

I had thought of this as well - but what would be the real-life scenario to do such a thing? Would it not be easier to simply delete your BG2EE game and start fresh? If you roll back, the last thing to uninstall would be EET and that leaves you with the unmodded BG2EE - same result but more cumbersome to achieve.

I agree a clean install is the most efficient and effective method, but there will invariably be people who won't do that, and they will end up posting here because their uninstallation failed or threw errors. I like the idea of having a unified WeiDU.log, but what you are proposing falls outside of WeiDU's standard operational procedures. Many people won't recognize that, and people love complaining when their computer does what they tell it to instead of what they want it to...

Edited by Sam.

Input for analysis

One of the important sources of information for analysis in the game is Weidu.log.

In EET there are now two such files one from BGEE and one from BG2EE starting with EET.

Would it not be helpful to copy the BGEE Weidu.log during EET install and append the succeeding installation to it?

You would always be able to determine in which part of the game a mod is by the reference to EET in the log, but only one log would provide you with the complete information about what is in the game at a glance.

I think you might need to comment out the part from BGEE so that WeiDU doesn't trip out if you ask it to uninstall everything in the log...

I had thought of this as well - but what would be the real-life scenario to do such a thing? Would it not be easier to simply delete your BG2EE game and start fresh? If you roll back, the last thing to uninstall would be EET and that leaves you with the unmodded BG2EE - same result but more cumbersome to achieve.

I agree a clean install is the most efficient and effective method, but there will invariably be people who won't do that, and they will end up posting here because their uninstallation failed or threw errors. I like the idea of having a unified WeiDU.log, but what you are proposing falls outside of WeiDU's standard operational procedures. Many people won't recognize that, and people love complaining when their computer does what they tell it to instead of what they want it to...

Using weidu.log was just a first idea - obviously not a good one

Still, there may exist another alternative to produce such an install protocol for the EET as a whole - in BGT that was/is a highly valuable resource for any type of troubleshooting.

Input for analysis

I've tried to add mods installed on BG:EE as weidu.log comments but weidu automatically deletes all junk from the file whenever you use it, so it's not possible.

Hmm, I think that's a problem, because weidu checks for the existing entries, everytime you install a mod and if the tp2 and the translation files aren't found the existing entrys would be changed to something like this:

~setup-modname.tp2~ #0 #0 // ??? -> : 

we could copy all tp2 files mentioned in BG:EE weidu.log and add these entries manually, just without weidu executables, so players wouldn't be able to uninstall mods present in the log before EET. Hell, we could even copy whole backup directories and rename files existing and mentioned there with EET conventions, so the --log command could report changes.

Although not sure if it's worth it considering whole installing on BG:EE might be not needed in future, if more modders decide to add native EET compatibility. With EET_modConverter tool you can print a detailed log of needed changes, automatically implement cpmvars if needed, and if mod already supports cross-platform coding (for example BG1 NPC Project and some of the NPCs), especially if implemented via standard cpmvars, than it's a matter of minutes to implement compatibility. The problematic thing were mods editing different games which needed a lot of time to manually check if a change is needed (mods like BG2 Tweaks, aTweaks, SCS, Rogue Rebalancing, Divine Remix etc.) but those already have patches ready. I hope that more modders will jump on board at some point, so maybe this whole weidu.log workarounds won't be needed in a long run. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking :p

Hmm, EET could log the entries away in another file, but the mods, which are installed after EET, wouldn't append this file...

if you mean a copy of BG:EE weidu.log than it already does it - check your override folder, it's there.

Edited by K4thos

I wonder why it should be so difficult to post the content of two log files instead of a single one for bug tracking? Whenever I see the request to "post the WeiDU.log" when someone has a problem then I can imagine that it's equally straightforward to "post the WeiDU.log and WeiDU-BGEE.log".

Putting the BG:EE WeiDU.log into the override folder is probably a bad idea though. Maybe it's just me, but after the installation process and the final biffing, I'm routinely cleaning the override folder from any "garbage" files.

Putting the BG:EE WeiDU.log into the override folder is probably a bad idea though. Maybe it's just me, but after the installation process and the final biffing, I'm routinely cleaning the override folder from any "garbage" files.

good point. WeiDU-BGEE.log in main directory than.

Maybe it's just me, but after the installation process and the final biffing, I'm routinely cleaning the override folder from any "garbage" files.

With EET (not at this time- but once it has grown significantly in contents) is there already an idea about general biffing to be applied or is this a thing of the past for the new machine?

DSotSC in EET

DSSkeez and all his variations have Allegiance PC-2, Default Skript DPlayer3

Means he is designated as party member and runs across the Carneval BG4900 to give you a default leaving dialogue. I say goodbye and he leaves into nowhere (I take it as a nice feature to get rid of him - but I think it is considered a bug by some others).

Same behaviour for DSKeiria even though she has a (empty) script file assigned and she has a dialogue assigned - she comes up to the PC to say goodbye.

is there already an idea about general biffing to be applied ?

The idea is to use the Generalized Biffing mod to do all the biffing at the end.

Of course if you wish, you can make tens of dozens of mods that each biff their own content all you wish, it really doesn't make sense though.

What's this about new machine ? New engine, you might mean... it's based almost completely onto the old ones structures and we know the old one at least read the .bif files faster than the files from the override folder. So.

Maybe it's just me, but after the installation process and the final biffing, I'm routinely cleaning the override folder from any "garbage" files.

With EET (not at this time- but once it has grown significantly in contents) is there already an idea about general biffing to be applied or is this a thing of the past for the new machine?

I don't know if there is still a performance penalty in the Enhanced Editions with great numbers of files in the override folder. However, it's always a good idea to biff the override folder at the end of the installation, except maybe for a couple of mods that are supposed to be re-installed periodically. It may not only increase game performance, a clean installation folder is also easier to manage (and don't forget that the filesystem overhead of thousands or hundreds of thousands of files wastes a lot of disk space).

I don't know if there is still a performance penalty in the Enhanced Editions with great numbers of files in the override folder. However, it's always a good idea to biff the override folder at the end of the installation, except maybe for a couple of mods that are supposed to be re-installed periodically. It may not only increase game performance, a clean installation folder is also easier to manage (and don't forget that the filesystem overhead of thousands or hundreds of thousands of files wastes a lot of disk space).

Technically, this doesn't hold water, at least on a larger scale:

10ibhuc.jpg

But that's not the point of the thing anyways. And yes, the actual file size is larger, but the size on disc is smaller...but only about half percent. On a 64-bit OS.

Technically, this doesn't hold water, at least on a larger scale:

10ibhuc.jpg

But that's not the point of the thing anyways. And yes, the actual file size is larger, but the size on disc is smaller...but only about half percent. On a 64-bit OS.

Putting aside disc space issues and such (as they are individual considerations and depend on your hardware) the main issue for biffing in BGT has been performance and loading times from the fact how the old engine (aka machine) was reading from override vs biff. If the EE works still the same, installing all of EET + IDW + plus all the mods for them will lead to those issues.

Probably best way to decide is to do such an install and when performance issues appear do a biffing and see if it helps (like it always did in BGT for me).

Edited by Roxanne
Probably best way to decide is to do such an install and when performance issues appear do a biffing and see if it helps (like it always did in BGT for me).

I've tested it with all BG:EE and IWD:EE resources inside EET override directory, including uncompressed TIS files (you can force the installer to not biff sounds and graphic resources) which means several GB of data and didn't noticed any slowdawns or load times in the game (at least in Candlekeep and Lion's Way).

Anyway the first post has been updated with following entries:

• Alternatives
  • Edwin Romance
  • Generalized Biffing
  • Haer'Dalis Romance v2.1
  • Imoen Friendship (SoA & ToB)
  • Item Randomiser v7 dev release dated 160110
  • IWDification vBeta3
  • Kivan and Deheriana Companions for BG2
  • Mazzy Friendship (SoA & ToB)
  • Sarevok Romance
  • Song and Silence
  • The Gibberlings Three Anniversary Mod
  • Tyris Flare
  • Viconia Friendship (SoA & ToB)
  • W_PackMule
  • Wheels of Prophecy

Patches for those new mods that need them are now available on GitHub. Unless I missed something every single BG2:EE Gibberlings 3 mod should now work with EET. We will focus on contacting authors now to try to get as many of them internalized as possible.

Edited by K4thos

Some very positive feedback to EET mods

I just finished Stone of Askavar Version 1.9 in EET, it is fully integrated - playable without any bug, issues that were existing in BGT before have all been fixed. (minor cosmetic issues, the Stone itself (itm) can be founf twice in the final area on two dead enemies - Rondan and Hanwen). The revised Rebecca is nice - extra point for making all contents available before travelling to Baldur's Gate City.

Dark Horizons, first part (prior BG City) also fully integrated - plays bug free, joinable Nikita sounds interesting (not yet developped).

Currently I am halfways through DSotSC - no issues so far, some known difficulties in BGT are fully fixed in the EET version (some of them might have been caused by other mods in BGT), the EET version so far is bug free - An extra plus for the Dragon fight being moved into the lair + extra dragon hoard area. (Cosmetic - journal entries not yet provided, is work in progress),

AC Quest pack - EET version works perfectly - no bugs.

Sirens Call - EET version works perfectly - no bugs.

PS - I only mentioned those mods that might have been affected by EET due to the changes introduced by its concepts (areas, items, worldmap etc), there are no problems (introduced by EET) with mods that just needed simple conversion (e.g. most NPC mods).

Edited by Roxanne