Changing Action Bar Buttons

Skye

I haven't approached this particular issue in many years, but seeing as the GUI is a lot more exposed now, I was wondering if there's any way to change the default action bar buttons used by a class/kit? I've scoured the files, but I've only been able to find the definitions of menu buttons inside UI.MENU, which isn't particularly helpful. I could potentially rewrite the code block so that it overrides the buttons if the creature is of a particular class, but that's far too dirty a hack for my taste.

I am pretty sure this requires an .exe hack.... so in the non-EE-games, so it's a definite no, there.

The GemRB (allegedly) has this feature, as it also defines it's own classes... but that's impossible in the nonEE games at least. This would be a POWERFUL kit tool if it was possible... but as it is, it's just a dream for now.

I find it highly disappointing that this functionality is still hardcoded in the EEs, especially after all the UI overhauling that's been done. I mean, IWD2 had customizable action bars 15 years ago, at the very least I was expecting a 2DA/IDS combo at this point or a LUA file or something. Frankly, this is one of the very few things still standing in the way of free kit design. I guess I'll keep waiting then...

Edited by Skye

The assumption that this would be easy to do, does not seem very sensible to me...

Sorry, but the thread has no reference of "easy" at all, before your post, so .. no one was assuming a thing. Well, except you, perhaps.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

It was never impossible?

Given the old BG(1&2) engine, the reference in Skye's post was that WITHOUT source code access/similar thing, it is (impossible) in it.

Example, you can play the Legend of Zelda, the Breath of the Wild today on 3840x2160 or 2560x1600 resolutions... but not on WiiU or Switch.

It was never impossible?

Have I misunderstood what the question was? (Always possible.)

If the question is, can one of the 12 buttons in the main game screen be changed, when has that ever been possible? (Outside of GemRB, which honestly doesn't count.)

There is a little project someone did to give cleric/thieves the ability to have a thieving button on the main screen instead of behind the innate abilities bar... even in the new EE 2.0 engine with its fancy customizable UI, the best thing they came up with was to add a 13th button and bind it to the thieving hotkey. I infer that changing the 12 buttons hardcoded for each class is simply not in the cards.

You're jumping all over the thread, but even in the original it is possible. It just takes serious effort. You can't have 20 kits listed in vanilla? Sure, but tobex and iirc Taimon's hack both fixed that problem. Just a different kind of modding.

The last complaints were about the core development, where sources were/are available, so the ruckus is even sillier.

"any way to change the default action bar buttons used by a class/kit?"

"find it highly disappointing that this functionality is still hardcoded in the EEs, especially after all the UI overhauling that's been done. I mean, IWD2 had customizable action bars 15 years ago"

I take this to mean the 12 buttons in the main gameplay UI. Which have never been customizable in any way. (If I misunderstood, again, pardon me.) Taimon and ToBEx never broached the possibility even though it has always been something people wanted. That tells me a lot.

Yes, people have the source code now and are actively issuing updates. I can only presume that they looked at it and decided it is too much effort, for too little gain. It's reasonable to disagree with that conclusion (especially when you don't need to ship a product to put food on your table). But it's less reasonable to dispute the premise and claim it would be trivial to make the action bar customizable. 1) I don't see any evidence supporting that assertion; and 2) if true, the fact that we haven't seen it wouldn't make sense. Therefore I infer that it involves a non-trivial amount of effort.

All I'm sayin'.