Incompatibility with Weimer's Tactics Mod on BG2:EE

Ineth

BG2 Tweaks seems to install just fine on a clean BG2:EE v1.3 installation.

However when I install a bunch of components from Weimer's Tactics Mod first, and then try to install BG Tweaks, some of its components fail to install.

Here are the problematic components I've found (together with the weidu error messages with which they fail):

• Content Changes > More Interjections
    ERROR: cannot resolve trigger 0x40de
    ERROR: [AR5501.BCS] -> [override/AR5501.BCS] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
  • Content Changes > Do Not Reveal City Maps When Entering Area
    ERROR: cannot resolve trigger 0x40dd
    ERROR: [AR0015.bcs] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
  • Content Changes > Multiple Strongholds

ERROR: cannot resolve trigger 0x40de
    ERROR: [ar0900.bcs] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
  • Convenience Tweaks and/or Cheats > NPCs Don't Fight

ERROR: cannot resolve trigger 0x40dc
    ERROR: [dorn.bcs] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

Weidu log (showing the installed Tactics components) and tweaks debug log (showing full error messages) are attached.

PS: In order to be able to install the Tactics mod on the Enhanced Edition in the first place, I had replaced all occurrences of the string "FILE_EXISTS ~Data/25Dialog.bif" with the string "1" in Setup-Tactics.tp2, using my editor's search & replace feature. I hope that didn't mess anything up.

weidu.log

setup-bg2_tweaks.debug.log

This is because the Tactics does everything with brute force ... and doesn't patch a thing because patching wasn't invented yet. So your hope of not messing up a thing is kinda pointless as just installing Tactics on a BG2EE messes the triggers up.
You can of course reset things with a bit of a gamble ... uninstall everything, open up the Setup-tactics.tp2 file and removing this bit:

ALWAYS
  ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS ~override/action.ids~ THEN BEGIN 
    COPY ~tactics2/ids/action.ids~ ~override/action.ids~
  END
  ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS ~override/trigger.ids~ THEN BEGIN 
    COPY ~tactics2/ids/trigger.ids~ ~override/trigger.ids~
  END
  ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS ~override/spell.ids~ THEN BEGIN 
    COPY ~tactics2/ids/spell.ids~ ~override/spell.ids~
  END
  ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS ~override/race.ids~ THEN BEGIN 
    COPY ~tactics2/ids/race.ids~ ~override/race.ids~
  END
END 

As it's very likely that the EE's files contain all the identifiers from Tactics.

As it's very likely that the EE's files contain all the identifiers from Tactics.

Alright, you piqued my curiosity, so I compared the contents of those 4 ids files in the unmodded GOG.com version of the original game, to their contents in the version bundled with the Tactics mod and the version in the unmodded EE game.

The Tactics version differs like this compared to the original:

• spell.ids: A single typo correction; otherwise no change.
  • actions.ids, trigger.ids, race.ids: No change.

The EE version differs like this compared to the original:

• spell.ids: The same typo correction as the Tactics version, and additionally 69 new entries.
  • actions.ids: 19 entries have their "I:Face*" parameter changed to "I:Face*DIR", and additionally 16 new entries.
  • trigger.ids: 1 typo correction, and 6 new entries.
  • race.ids: The entry "149 SHADOW" is changed to "149 STATUE", and 2 new entries.

Looks most likely compatible, right?

Someone over the Beamdog forums created a wrapper-like modified version of Tactics that uses patching techniques and is compatible with BG2:EE.

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41242/tactics-mod-bg2ee-compatibility-conversion-and-beta-test

Neat.

Considering that this wrapper is still early in development though, do you think using this would cause more or less problems than installing the original with the change that Jarno Mikkola suggested (if I install it before any other mod)?

I would clearly go with the beta in the link, it's done so that it has clear definitions of it's capabilities and what it can not do.

otherwise no change

Well technically you won't see the change today, but in the past it was important that the file was in the game folder/override -folder, and not biffed into the games own .bif's for whatever reason it was there in the ancient past.

Archived