Retired Mod Author's Crossmod Banter Corner: Brainstorming

cmorgan

Banter Rough Drafts, for checking with authors later (if/when they are available).

For some of these, there will be no banter pack in which these are acceptable, as my interpretation of the permissions set governing G3 CrossMod really expects 2-way communication between authors (or at least approval) and both SHS's IEP Banters and PPG's Banterpack are designed around Canon BioWare™ NPC Joinables. Some retired mod authors have given a "green light" for new content, and some have not stated their wishes. But, tucking these ideas here gives time for feedback and recheck, and an easy place to link to when seeking permissions. Maybe eventually they will find a home.

Since we are writing lines for other folk's characters, this gets to be tricky. No BioWare™ author has shown up and posted "you are destroying my characterization of Minsc!". But as we are all amateurs (there is no paid professional market for i.e. mod authoring), we can accidentally make someone else's character look bad - and that is just wrong.

In light of that, the basic approach for this writing is simple -

1. Don't knock someone else's character. So, no below-the belt digs at a characterization. If a player is playing the other mod, they probably like it; why mess with their chosen mod? Player1 is supposed to be #1. NPCs exist only for their enjoyment.

2. The author is probably not going to be active, so when possible build NPC responses out of minor modification of existing strings in the relevant mod (writing in someone else's style can accidentally end up being parody, and could be seen as a direct insult, which breaks point #1.)

3. Since there is no direct opportunity for feedback, if there is a potential conflict, the other mod NPC wins. No "last words" or zingers for Aran. That inevitably means that materials where another author is no longer available will be weaker. C'est la vie. This is all just for fun, after all!

4. If at all possible, beg/bribe/coerce the other mod author to participate. It saves time, energy, and makes your job so much easier. Plus the characterization is correct from the get-go!

So, a first try at this idea. Sillara is sometimes active, and I have played Saerileth before, so the possibility for inclusion is good. Let's try two banters, an underdark commentary, and a friendly "what in th' nine hells are you thinkin' goin' out wi' a 15 year old Chosen o' Tyr who can be makin' googly-eyes an' drawin' kittens an hearts on your palm to smitin' Demogorgons in th' blink o' an eye" talk.

SAERILETH (Sillara/Nethrin, CoM hosted, retired)

Puzzle Pieces:

@20 = ~Thou sharest in thy father's taint. I will leave thee and disturb thee no more.~

@27 = ~Thou art satisfied? Thy trust is freely given. I thank thee for it. As long as thou dost tread the path of good, I will sojourn with thee.~

@28 = ~I do. Wilt thou have me by thy side or no?~

@53 = ~Forgive me. My zeal oft overcomes my discretion. In this matter, I bow to thy judgement.~

@28 = ~Nay, <PRO_LADYLORD> <CHARNAME>. We must not! Their peril is more than thou knowest: their souls are in danger of damnation!~

@111 = ~'Twould be false in me to deny that this place doth trouble me. (Saerileth sighs and slowly sits up. She leans over you, tracing your profile with her fingers.)~

@201 = ~Our mortal lives do oft seem full of injustice, but if our lots are here unjust, we may rest assured that the Maimed Tyr will not deny us justice when he doth judge us.~

@418 = ~Aye, so it doth, <CHARNAME>. And I pray Tyr that thou hast the strength to meet it.~ [sAERI412]

@431 = ~(Saerileth shakes her head.) Nay, sweet my lord. I am a Chosen of Tyr. When that I do become His Proxy, then mayhap I shall be granted the life of a deva.~ [sAERI390]

@432 = ~And if I do remain a mortal Proxy, as some do, still the stuff of my life will alter. I do not think that thou wilt be left alone, even should I die. For at my death I do but return to the realm of Mertion, where thou mayest find me again.~

@546 = ~My life is, and hath ever been, Tyr's only. I shall follow his will so long as I have breath.~

@979 = ~Thou art most skilled for one who had no formal instruction.~

@995 = ~Modesty would better become thee, <CHARNAME>.~

@1033 = ~Tell me, why dost thou serve as a paladin a god who places the law above the good?~

@1040 = ~Which wilt thou choose when the choice must be made: goodness or order?~

@1043 = ~Like me, thou hast heard the call of thy god. Thou art blessed.~

@1061 = ~Thou art most fortunate, and the grace of the Morninglord doth rest upon thee.~

@1102 = ~(Saerileth's eyes are soft as she looks at you.) I do pity thee that thou knowest not yet thy lord.~

@1165 = ~Thy jesting is misplaced, and I am not amused. Art thou indeed a mere brigand and cutpurse?~

@1451 = ~Why dost thou reject the gods?~

@1498 = ~Beast! Foul-mouthed, blasphemous fiend! Thy life is forfeit!~

@1164 = ~Then I shall watch thy actions. Do not fall into evil, <CHARNAME>.~

CODE

/* SoA Aran-Saerileth */

CHAIN IF ~InParty("Saerileth") InMyArea("Saerileth") !StateCheck("Saerileth",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) CombatCounter(0) Global("C-AranSaerBanter1","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ AranSaerSoABanter

~[ARAN] Lady Paladin, I'd be a might happier if you would take th' time to answer me a question, beggin' my impertinence.~

DO ~SetGlobal("C-AranSaerBanter1","GLOBAL",1)~

== ~BSAERILE~ ~[sAERILETH] Speak on, Aran.~

== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~!Global("SaerilethRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN ~[ARAN] <CHARNAME>'s rightly leader here, an' I expect has reason to have so young a lass on th' front lines. I was workin' trade costers m'self at your age, so I got no problem wi' that. But you seem a bit more focused on what be right an' wrong than what be practical.~

== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~Global("SaerilethRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN ~[ARAN] <CHARNAME>'s rightly leader here, an' I expect has reason to have so young a lass on th' front lines. I was workin' trade costers m'self at your age, so I got no problem wi' that. But you both seem a mite bit more than just comrades in arms.~

== ~BSAERILE~ IF ~!Global("SaerilethRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN ~[sAERILETH] Which would thou choose when the choice must be made: goodness or utility? There is but one answer.~

== ~BSAERILE~ IF ~Global("SaerilethRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN ~[sAERILETH] I am his love, and he is mine own.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] An' this answer serves Tyr, on account o' you bein' his Chosen an' all?~

== ~BSAERILE~ IF ~!Global("SaerilethRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN ~[sAERILETH] My life is, and hath ever been, Tyr's only. I shall follow his will so long as I have breath.~

== ~BSAERILE~ IF ~Global("SaerilethRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN ~[sAERILETH] My life is, and hath ever been, Tyr's. I shall follow his will so long as I have breath. <CHARNAME> knows this. He will understand the depth of my faith.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I'm not sure I understand that kind o' faith, is all. I never did.~

EXIT

/* SoA Saerileth-Aran */

CHAIN IF ~InParty("Saerileth") InMyArea("Saerileth") !StateCheck("Saerileth",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("Saerileth") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) CombatCounter(0) Global("C-SaerAranBanter1","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN ~BSAERILE~ SaerAranSoABanter

~[sAERILETH] Why dost thou reject the gods? The foul-mouthed oaths thou dost speak do disservice to all.~

DO ~SetGlobal("C-SaerAranBanter1","GLOBAL",1)~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Come, now, Saerileth. There must o' been a time when you were not so tight-ar... err... no, I suppose you never did let your hair down, so to speak. You haven't had enough time in life yet.~

== ~BSAERILE~ ~[sAERILETH] Thy jesting is misplaced, and I am not amused.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Now, don't you be gettin' all offended, lass. There be a place for a harmless bit o' language, sometimes. An' Tymora seems to be fine wi' me playin' fast an' loose.~

== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~OR(2) Class("c-aran",PALADIN_ALL) Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ THEN ~[ARAN] How about we not get our respective gods into no minor squabble just on account o' my blasphemin', eh?~

== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~!Class("c-aran",PALADIN_ALL) !Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ THEN ~[ARAN] I know I am no champion o' virtue. I done lost that in a card game when I... never you mind that. But I try to back <CHARNAME>, an' you back <CHARNAME>, so that has to count for somethin', eh?~

== ~BSAERILE~ IF ~OR(2) Class("c-aran",PALADIN_ALL) Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ THEN ~[sAERILETH] I do pity thee that thou knowest not yet the wishes of thy god. Foul-mouthed blasphemy will forfeit the good will of all of the gods.~

== ~BSAERILE~ IF ~!Class("c-aran",PALADIN_ALL) !Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ THEN ~[sAERILETH] I do pity thee that thou knowest not yet the power of worshiping one god above all others. Foul-mouthed blasphemy will forfeit the good will of all of the gods.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Is this somethin' where you are likely to raise a sword against me if I curse a mite here an' there?~

== ~BSAERILE~ ~[sAERILETH] As long as thou dost tread the path of good, I will sojourn with thee. But I warn thee... curb thy language.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You know, hearin' those words from a little slip o' a girl not even out o' apprentice age might be laughable in some circumstances. But seein' as you can hold your own in combat an' healin', I will take you right serious. At least, as far as I can. Hard to break old habits.~

EXIT

/* UD Aran-Saerileth */

CHAIN IF ~Global("c-drow","GLOBAL",1) InParty("Saerileth") InMyArea("Saerileth") !StateCheck("Saerileth",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) CombatCounter(0) Global("C-AranSaerBanter2","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ AranSaerUDBanter

~[ARAN] I know I don't rightly take you serious all th' time. You be a fine companion, though a mite bit stubborn an' mayhap a bit fanatical. But here, I can see why a lad might follow in your footsteps a mite. This place deserves to be eradicated.~

DO ~SetGlobal("C-AranSaerBanter2","GLOBAL",1)~

== ~BSAERILE~ ~[sAERILETH] 'Twould be false in me to deny that the continued existence of this place doth trouble me.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I'd think it be time to call forth a holy crusade, an' clear 'em off out o' here. Mayhap destroy evey last one o' them.~

== ~BSAERILE~ ~[sAERILETH] Our mortal lives do oft seem full of injustice, but if our lots are here unjust, we may rest assured that the Maimed Tyr will not deny us justice when he doth judge us. But all of these creatures have chosen to serve evil. Their judgment hath been wrought, their lot decided, and eventually they shall fall to the power of Tyr.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I don't suppose there be some who might follow a good cause down here, eh? Mayhap one or two redeemed souls, trapped alongside all this scurryin' evil?~

== ~BSAERILE~ ~[sAERILETH] Forgive me. My zeal oft overcomes my discretion. In this matter, I spoke hastily; Tyr is the Judge, and I am his Champion. Perhaps there are a few souls the Maimed One would have me spare. It is not my decision to make.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, now you done got me worried. Usually, you be th' one takin' things to extremes. I was about to suggest we just send 'em all Tyr's way, an' let him figure out who goes where. I think down here, I be a might bit more comfortable wi' "guilt by association".~

EXIT

/* are you sure about this romance? : BCS */

IF

InParty("Saerileth")

InMyArea("Saerileth")

!StateCheck("Saerileth",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

InParty("c-aran")

InMyArea("c-aran")

!StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

CombatCounter(0)

Global("SaerilethRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)

Global("c-aranpcsaerrom","GLOBAL",0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("c-aranpcsaerrom","GLOBAL",1)

%arand_friend_song%

StartDialogNoSet(Player1)

END

/* are you sure about this romance? : DLG */

IF ~Global("c-aranpcsaerrom","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN aranpcsaerrom

SAY ~[ARAN] Now, this be naught in th' way o' my business. But I have to ask... are you an' Saerileth gettin' serious?~

++ ~[PC] Of course not. That is a ridiculous suggestion.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranpcsaerrom","GLOBAL",2)~ + have_you_seen_how_she_looks_at_you

++ ~[PC] What do you think?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranpcsaerrom","GLOBAL",2)~ + my_own_business

++ ~[PC] Yes.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranpcsaerrom","GLOBAL",2)~ + are_you_kidding

++ ~[PC] Are we holding hands and kissing occasionally? Yes, I think we are. Are we getting serious? I am not sure.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranpcsaerrom","GLOBAL",2)~ + are_you_kidding

++ ~[PC] Do I ask you about your dalliances with half of Faerun?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranpcsaerrom","GLOBAL",2)~ + my_own_business

++ ~[PC] Speak of this to me again, and you will be looking for a new line of work. And perhaps searching for your missing head.~ + c-aranshutup32

EXIT

IF ~~ are_you_kidding

SAY ~[ARAN] Do you be kiddin' wi' me? A lass what has seen less than sixteen winters? Give her a year to come o' age a' make her own chices, an' mayhap I wouldn't kick her out o' my b... err... well, she is pretty an' all, I guess. But she don't know squat about livin', let alone havin' a serious relationship. Tyr's Blasted Buttocks, don't send a child to do adult's work, <CHARNAME>. Love isn't just for play.~

++ ~[PC] Take one look into her eyes, and tell me that she does not love me.~ + she_does_at_that

++ ~[PC] She is the Chosen of Tyr. She is strong enough, wise enough, and driven enough to know her own mind. Do you really think we would be together if she was not set on having it that way?~ + no_guess_not_kid

++ ~[PC] What, are you jealous? I did not know you were in love with her too.~ + hells_no_cute_but_crazy

++ ~[PC] It is a passing crush, and I intend to have as much fun with her as her religious views will allow.~ + watch_out_boy_shell_chew_you_up

++ ~[PC] So now you are an expert on serious relationships? That is a laugh. You don't even remember the barmaid's name the next morning.~ + my_own_business

END

IF ~~ have_you_seen_how_she_looks_at_you

SAY ~[ARAN] You must be blighted blind, then. Th' lass looks at you wi' th' intensity o' first love, an' th' passions o' a full grown woman. You'd best be careful around her, on account o' she might get th' wrong idea - or worse, th' right one.~

++ ~[PC] I don't really need to be careful. I think I am falling for her.~ + are_you_kidding

++ ~[PC] Are we holding hands and kissing occasionally? Yes, I think we are. Are we getting serious? I am not sure.~+ watch_out_boy_shell_chew_you_up

++ ~[PC] Do I ask you about your dalliances with half of Faerun?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranpcsaerrom","GLOBAL",2)~ + my_own_business

++ ~[PC] Speak of this to me again, and you will be looking for a new line of work. And perhaps searching for your missing head.~ + c-aranshutup33

END

IF ~~ my_own_business

SAY ~[ARAN] Look, <CHARNAME>, I love th' way women move, th' way they speak, th' way they smell, th' way they smile... hells, I just love women. But me an' someone what wears th' flower be a mite different than what you are talkin' about. First off, we all have th' age o' consent. Second off, if I tick off th' lady in question, she may box my ears, kick me, get me thrown into th' street, or mayhap carve me up a little, as be her choice. With Saerileth...~

IF ~~ THEN GOTO watch_out_boy_shell_chew_you_up

END

IF ~~ she_does_at_that

SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, she does. That be even more dangerous.~

IF ~~ THEN GOTO love_women_but

END

IF ~~ no_guess_not_kid

SAY ~[ARAN] Mayhap you are right. Mayhap she be older than her years, an' wiser than a sage; mayhap she be mature enough to understand that relationships be work as well as fun. But all that wisdom an' such be packed into a body what be still growin' an' changin'.~

END

IF ~~ hells_no_cute_but_crazy

SAY ~[ARAN] Jealous? No possibility o' that, boyo. She scares me half to death.~

END

IF ~~ love_women_but

SAY ~[ARAN] Look, <CHARNAME>, I love th' way women move, th' way they speak, th' way they smell, th' way they smile... hells, I just love women. But me an' someone what wears th' flower be a mite different than what you are talkin' about. First off, we all have th' age o' consent, meanin' we can make our own choices. Second off, if I tick off th' lady in question, she may box my ears, kick me, get me thrown into th' street, or mayhap carve me up a little, as be her choice. With Saerileth...~

IF ~~ THEN GOTO watch_out_boy_shell_chew_you_up

END

IF ~~ watch_out_boy_shell_chew_you_up

SAY ~[ARAN] You know how 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned'? Well, take one look at her an' all you see is slim little hips, curves to die for, an' lips beggin' to be kissed - not one bit o' th' hells about her. Take a look in her eyes, though, an' you see an intensity an' a devotion that be downright scary. Now picture her if you hurt her. There won't be any place on any o' th' Planes where you could hide from her wrath. She'll rip you in half wi' her bare hands, then heal you up just so she can do it again.~

++ ~[PC] You are taking this too seriously. I am much more powerful than she is. She will never be able to defeat me.~ + I_warned_you

++ ~[PC] I don't intend to hurt her. I think she may be my soulmate.~ + I_warned_you

++ ~[PC] She's a bunny rabbit. What's she going to do, nibble my bum?~ + I_warned_you // heh - Monty Python is fun. But this one might be a good one to lose.

++ ~[PC] This is my business, not yours. Keep out of it.~ + I_warned_you

END

IF ~~ I_warned_you

SAY ~[ARAN] None o' my business, anyways. You think you can handle it. But I have been on th' receivin' end o' a regular woman what feels she has been wronged, an' it were a mite painful. Breakin' th' heart o' someone with th' feelin's o' adolescent first love who just happens to be an accomplished fighter an' th Chosen o' Tyr... that's bloody suicide.~

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

Guest Peachplums
++ ~[PC] Speak of this to me abagin, and you will be looking for a new line of work. And perhaps searching for your missing head.~ + c-aranshutup32

"again"

Makes me think about possible Kivan banters--Aran's competing with a tragic, dark and brooding elven ranger (the girls always fall hard for those types, eh?). And to add insult to injury, I don't think Kivan would even view it as competition :suspect:

Well, take one look at her an' all you see is slim little hips
Slim hips be a mannish feature. Women should have pronounced, rounded hips :suspect:.

Re: the Shakespeare and Monty Python, maybe just change a word here and there so it's not so noticeably a direct quote.

abagin

Got them - thank you! Caught a few more typos, too.

Makes me think about possible Kivan banters--Aran's competing with a tragic, dark and brooding elven ranger (the girls always fall hard for those types, eh?). And to add insult to injury, I don't think Kivan would even view it as competition :suspect:

Definitely a cool idea - if you have topics that you think are cool, reun out a suggestion, and I'll throw out a sketch! I will try to bribe Domi for a little wordplay duel, but even if she stays firmly retired, her permissions are broad and fellow-moder-friendly. I can see one Aran <> Kivan thing just on the fact that PC keeps looking at him -

"Blighted elves. It be bad enough you live for several lifetimes, but all that broodin' angst... hells, there be no chance for us fireflies wi' our own womenfolk, eh?"

Slim hips be a mannish feature. Women should have pronounced, rounded hips :suspect:.

I'll take suggestions on the rewrite - I am kind of stuck, because I am looking for something that reflects her youth * and * womanhood!

Re: the Shakespeare and Monty Python, maybe just change a word here and there so it's not so noticeably a direct quote.

The Shakespeare, darned good idea - I am still on the fence on the joking Monty Python stuff. I like it, but it is a bit 4th-wall breaking. erhaps

"A woman scorned is vengeance unleashed"?

"A woman hurt is Lovitar's Lash"?

"A woman's fury is like a Drow's pleasure - all pain, then more pain"?

A woman scorned is Loviatar's avatar -- Gah! The matching of the sounds is too much for a common expression in my ears.

A woman scorned is Loviatar's kiss/embrace -- I like the Loviatar reference, as I'm sure you could tell.

"budding hips"?

My initial thought was "blossoming," but neither it nor budding quite sound the same when you drop the 'g' as Aran is wont to do.

A woman scorned is Loviatar's avatar -- Gah! The matching of the sounds is too much for a common expression in my ears.

[snip]

The sounds aren't that similar. "Low-vee-ATE-er" and "A (as in "rat")-vuh-tar"...(?) Note: it's not "Low-VEE-uh-tar" as some people might think.

- E

*shrug* I've always pronounced it "Low-VIE-uh-tar".

A woman scorned is Loviatar's kiss/embrace -- I like the Loviatar reference, as I'm sure you could tell.

I like this one, though I'd go with kiss. It sounds rather poetic.

SAY ~[ARAN] Do you be kiddin' wi' me? A lass what has seen less than sixteen winters? Give her a year to come o' age a' make her own choices, an' mayhap I wouldn't kick her out o' my b... err... well, she is pretty an' all, I guess. But she don't know squat about livin', let alone havin' a serious relationship. Tyr's Blasted Buttocks, don't send a child to do adult's work, <CHARNAME>. Love isn't just for play.~
*shrug* I've always pronounced it "Low-VIE-uh-tar".

Yeah, many of us have done the same. I also remember when some of us used to say "drow" to rhyme with "blow," when really it rhymes with "how"...speaking of which, there was some pronunciation strangeness and uncertainty about Drizzt, until finally we learned that it rhymes with "mist."

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K... ???

- E

So in the Character Introduction thread, you said that Angelo falls under the likes and respects table for Aran because Aran only knows about him through the Flaming Fists. But in the Love Talk Introduction thread Angelo gets the, "I don't give a rat's arse for what that soddin' bastard thinks, right good companion or not." response (as opposed to his semi-nice reactions for NPCs like Gavin or Kelsey).

Does that mean that between the conversations the PC has had with Angelo, Aran pieced together what Angelo's role was in BG1 and his opinion of him changed? Or did Aran realize that even if he was the former commander of the Flaming Fists, he didn't like Angelo after he got to know him. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this and Aran's being crass because...well, you know, it's Angelo! Who is also exceptionally rough around the edges as well. (I compare it to my brother whose language becomes more coarse when he's around certain friends.)

After running a couple of scenarios in my head of possible Aran/Angelo banters...I decided that if the two of them were in the party together, no tavern wench (or wine skin) in Faerun would be safe. And they would both be decidedly hungover the next day after a night of heavy drinking.

Imo it would be kind of interesting to see Aran react to the PC's willingness to travel with someone who sentenced them to hang and was formerly in the employ of their homicidal megalomaniacal half-brother, which I think falls under the PC's appreciation of a fine henchman who obeys orders without question, much like Aran. Though I imagine Aran might silently object to some things that Angelo would shrug and respond with, "Whatever you say, Chief."

And that is why I think Aran and Angelo would be plausible drinking buddies after working through Angelo's past interactions with PC--

Or doing what my brother does with his friends:

"That was a dirt bag thing to do."

"Yeah, it was."

"You do it again, I'll break your neck."

"And you wouldn't be wrong to."

*Silence*

"Alright, enough of that. Time to break out the booze."

Which I believe is the male version of "talking through a problem." *duck and cover* I'm not sexist, please don't shoot!

In my heart of hearts, I want Aran's bathing habits to wash off on Angelo. But I know this is an exercise in futility...

Hells, no - no shooting!

You took it one level deeper than I did, but let's go with it and play a bit. It could add some really cool ideas, and if I can bribe Sister V, there could be some cool byplays!

My initial reaction was definitely as follows (I have a brother in the Navy, and a number of friends who are ex-army and ex-marine; suprisingly, no Air Force guys!) -

Points for Like: Angelo was an officer in the 'Fist, but Sister V's Angelo is much more a non-com personality than a dedicated officer - perhaps befitting a merc. Aran was a grunt and a non-com. Both like wine, women, and song. Both have a very thin veneer of civilized behavior, which dissapears quickly, but at root each wants to do the "right thing", whatever that is at the time (situational ethics with some 'rules of engagement" each live by).

Points of conflict; Both are going to fall for their employer. Angelo's is more complex, but the jockeying for position is going to be that of a mangy old alpha-dog hound who knows how to exert his dominance and is reluctant to do so, vs a younger wanna-be alpha male who constantly finds himself backing off because a. he's scared, b. he doesn't want to usurp a brother-in-arms [i Wish That I Had Jesse's Girl], c. he isn't used to a "real' relationship with a comerade-in-arms.

But we can follow up your line of thopught, and play a bit - try this>>

Dislikes that would grow between them:

Angelo's sentencing perhaps - but perhaps not; "orders are orders". But finding out that Angelo relished his role, a negative. Finding out about SharTeel, a negative. Drug use and abuse... aye, there's the rub. Because getting stoned and leading wariors might be cool in some shamanistic societies, but all Aran would see is a person who was in charge of his life (and perhaps spending it for the good of the Regiment) who only cared about getting his jollies and was willing to risk everyone else's life in order to do it.

How would they resolve it? I think you hit the nail on the head. Guy 'talk-throughs' can be done with a series of grunts, a raised glass, and perhaps a handshake or a fist-bump to the shoulder. That isn't sexist, Peachplums - even enlightened dudes do that at times. Especially brothers. And especially men who have long-term friendships.

"So... you wanted to kill her?"

"Orders are orders."

"True."

"Things were different."

"Heh. I wasn't there."

"Good thing. I would have taken you out first."

"Scared of me?"

"Nope. Just can't stand your breath."

"Yeah, %$&* you, too."

"Nah, I prefer women."

"Heh."

I might even see a really heavy, serious conversation, like:

AR: "Using again?"

AN: "Yeah, I was."

AR:"You are a ^&*&$# bastard."

AN:"Yep."

AR: "It's gonna kill you. And probably me. Mayhap her, too."

AN: "Yep."

AR: "Goin' to stop?"

AN: "Nope."

AR: *silence*

AN: "But I'm not usin' today."

AR: "Good."

AN: "Who are you, my father?"

AR: "Nope. But for all I know, you are mine, you soddin' philanderin' bugger."

AN: "Cheers to that thought."

something like:

AR: Blighted elves.

KI: What?!

AR: It be bad enough you live for several lifetimes --

KI: I have lost the ability to see my long life as a blessing, human.

AR: Yeah, and add all that broodin' angst...

KI: How--

AR: Hells, there be no chance for us fireflies wi' our own womenfolk, eh?

KI: Who can understand those humans?

AR: Give it a shot, or you might catch yourself some rough explaining.

Archived