[Testers Wanted] Tweaks is dead. Long live Tweaks!

I found two issues while installing on vanilla BG1 and vanilla IWD1:

- On BG1, "Send BioWare NPCs to an Inn" does not install because of a missing translation string; cause seems to be incorrect translation string references in the files cdtweaks/dlg/depart*.txt.

- On IWD1, "Friendly Random Drops" does not install because it tries to patch a non-existent file, rndtreas.2da. Cause seems to be a logic error in file file cdtweaks/random/random_common.tpa at line #37. The file is named rndtres.2da in vanilla IWD1, rndtreas.2da in BG2, so that "NOT" should not be there.

I prepared a small hotfix containing my corrections here: http://www.pearlgates.net/modding/cdtweaks_beta2_hotfix_by_angel.zip

Thanks, I'll get this in the next beta.

This is because the "static modifier" part of the hpxxx.2da files is broken. I mentioned this to @CamDawg over on the Beamdog forums, not sure if he noticed it.

To be honest, I only tested on BGEE. It might not be broken on BG2EE/IWDEE. It might work fine in 2.0... which would explain why CamDawg would see it working, as I assume he is running 2.0/SoD on his end.

But yeah at least for now, the "low variance rolls" component does not work.

Argh, yes. This is something I knew, then forgot, and now I know again. There was a reason that NWN-style used to change 1d10 to 5d2 instead of 1d5+5.

The reason to prefer new mods ( not every mod but Tweaks from Cam deserves to be preferred without a blink of an eye) instead of old mods which was coded years ago is to encourage new moders to find better ways to achieve something (EET_Tweaks XP adjustment!) and actually for testing purposes - without selecting new mods as default, nobody would actually test anything. Now we identified a bug and the solution will come soon - I prefer this way instead of suddenly discover such bug after half year. Feedback is welcome and I'm open to suggestion about this matter.

Greenhorn is correct--it's labeled beta for a reason, and shouldn't be pushed out to users yet unless they know what they're in for. I fully expect dumb bugs like this, especially considering how extensive the changes were.

No hard feelings on my part, it happens to the best, sorry if I sounded more blunt and offensive than I intended, this kind of things can be expected from the BETA mod. But I would really appreciate some hints how to solve it in my BWS. One way is this:

Just find the "hpxxx.2da" files (one for each class plus multiclasses) in your override folder and delete them.

Thanks, it is game saver. I'll try it.

But there are no such files in my override, I guess they are packed by Big's biffing. I tried this:

Any idea how to rid of it without losing whole day? I don't even want to think about it. Maybe to install on top of all of it BG2 Tweaks component higher hit points neverwinter style hoping that it will overwrite this?

This will work, yes.

But it doesn't help. I guess that I should search for all hp.2da files with NI and delete them but is it safe? Not so good with editing game files, lack of experience, sorry.

The reason to prefer new mods ( not every mod but Tweaks from Cam deserves to be preferred without a blink of an eye) instead of old mods which was coded years ago is to encourage new moders to find better ways to achieve something (EET_Tweaks XP adjustment!) and actually for testing purposes - without selecting new mods as default, nobody would actually test anything. Now we identified a bug and the solution will come soon - I prefer this way instead of suddenly discover such bug after half year. Feedback is welcome and I'm open to suggestion about this matter.

Apparently, some BWS users don't want to be playtesters.

As the old saying almost goes, players want to play play play play play.

@Greenhorn oh right, you can't find those files in your override folder because the BWS did another thing you didn't expect or understand it even need. No knock on you, but BWS should not be biffing the EE games! Not unless there is a truly nutty number of files in /override, like over 100,000. @ALIENquake!

Okay, here's probably the easiest thing to do. I hope and assume you have BG2EE and/or IWDEE. Install BG2Tweaks v16 onto an unmodded version of one of those games - the "NWN-style hit points" only. Copy everything in that game's override folder. Paste it in your BGEE override folder. Now everything should be fine. Do *not* biff anything.

@Greenhorn oh right, you can't find those files in your override folder because the BWS did another thing you didn't expect or understand it even need. No knock on you, but BWS should not be biffing the EE games! Not unless there is a truly nutty number of files in /override, like over 100,000. @ALIENquake!

Okay, here's probably the easiest thing to do. I hope and assume you have BG2EE and/or IWDEE. Install BG2Tweaks v16 onto an unmodded version of one of those games - the "NWN-style hit points" only. Copy everything in that game's override folder. Paste it in your BGEE override folder. Now everything should be fine. Do *not* biff anything.

No, I play BGT classic, but I do have clean, patched install of ToB so I guess this helpful tip might work. Thanks! :beer: I don't know about EE but biffing is absolute necessity in BGT, especially huge as is mine...

No hard feelings on my part, it happens to the best, sorry if I sounded more blunt and offensive than I intended, this kind of things can be expected from the BETA mod. But I would really appreciate some hints how to solve it in my BWS. One way is this:

Nah, none taken. Sorry you ran into a problem; I'll see if I can generate you some good, NWN-style tables for a BGT game to get you going again.

Nah, none taken. Sorry you ran into a problem; I'll see if I can generate you some good, NWN-style tables for a BGT game to get you going again.

Thanks CamDawg, I done as Subtledoctor advised, and it worked. There is still problem with barbarian ( rolls 1d10 hp ) but I think that is problem caused by third party mod. ( Uldar half barbarian mod ). :beer:

It worked. Thank you. Proper thanks and praises back at SHS. :worship::):thumbsup::jump:

Thanks CamDawg, I done as Subtledoctor advised, and it worked. There is still problem with barbarian ( rolls 1d10 hp ) but I think that is problem caused by third party mod. ( Uldar half barbarian mod ). :beer:

Unfortunately, this is a hardcoded issue; there's a warning in the Tweaks readme about it. Barbarians are locked to a d12 roll and ignore whatever dice size are set in these files unless you have an EE game or TobEx installed. .

Unfortunately, this is a hardcoded issue; there's a warning in the Tweaks readme about it. Barbarians are locked to a d12 roll and ignore whatever dice size are set in these files unless you have an EE game or TobEx installed. .

I have Tobex and level 1 maximum hp but barbarian still has 14 hp at the start of BGT. No matter, it is a small thing to add extra 2 hp with SK. I think it is this that causes problem, but then again I could be wrong, I'm trumpet when it comes to modding. :undecided::)http://www.shsforums.net/topic/58571-greenhorns-questions-bugs-and-findings-about-bws/page-8?do=findComment&comment=588131

Edited by Greenhorn

I found two issues while installing on vanilla BG1 and vanilla IWD1:

- On BG1, "Send BioWare NPCs to an Inn" does not install because of a missing translation string; cause seems to be incorrect translation string references in the files cdtweaks/dlg/depart*.txt.

- On IWD1, "Friendly Random Drops" does not install because it tries to patch a non-existent file, rndtreas.2da. Cause seems to be a logic error in file file cdtweaks/random/random_common.tpa at line #37. The file is named rndtres.2da in vanilla IWD1, rndtreas.2da in BG2, so that "NOT" should not be there.

I prepared a small hotfix containing my corrections here: http://www.pearlgates.net/modding/cdtweaks_beta2_hotfix_by_angel.zip

Thanks, I'll get this in the next beta.

Glad to be of assistance. I have slightly modded BG1 and IWD1 installations (only fix packs and UB) and a heavily modded BGT installation currently set up, and I can easily pull a vanilla BG2 from an archive. I'll be happy to find out what the next beta will break. And who knows, maybe fix it for you if $work will leave me alone long enough. ;-)

Any idea how to rid of it without losing whole day? I don't even want to think about it. Maybe to install on top of all of it BG2 Tweaks component higher hit points neverwinter style hoping that it will overwrite this?

This will work, yes.

Hej Krešo, kako je? :) Sadly no, I tried it in my save game with easy difficulty, didn't help.

A evo, ide nekako. :D

On topic - It's one of those cases where a simple copy/paste works *much* better then code patch. I use my own tables, and code to get them to the game's override is utterly simple and bullet-proof to such failures.

COPY ~criticals/2da/hp~ ~override~ // wipe everything

The reason to prefer new mods/ for testing purposes / - without selecting new mods as default, nobody would actually test anything. Now we identified a bug and the solution will come soon - I prefer this way instead of suddenly discover such bug after half year. Feedback is welcome and I'm open to suggestion about this matter.

Sorry, this isn't true. Tweaks is one of those mods that nearly everyone but a hard-core purist will use, if for nothing else than for arrow stacks. Even low-key mods get players and bugs do get reported.

Frankly, I've noticed the bug Greenhorn is talking about yesterday and would report is sooner or later. If you want such stuff in BWS then mark beta mods as "expert" since (wild guess here) most of people using BWS want to play the game, not spend hours debugging it.

You may prefer it this way, but I'm sure your end user will not.

Imp, in case you did not notice yet - he and his two buddies have to fill their weekly quota of insults to modders...

There's no need to be bashful here. I for one, never, ever insulted a modder. I may say that a mod/tweak/etc is junk (even there, I choose my words, more or less..people seem highly sensitive about it) but it's never on a personal basis. So browse my last week (or last decade, for that matter) posts on SHS, G3 and Bioware and go find one single insult to a mod author coming from me.

Mods I like I actually post praise for, help with bug hunting, or do some work on them. For others I couln't care less about; them being updated, flea-ridded or staying in below-utter-trash status.

Back on topic....

On topic - It's one of those cases where a simple copy/paste works *much* better then code patch.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Why you ask, just add a single kit to the EE game and this won't work.

You may prefer it this way, but I'm sure your end user will not.

Yeah, well a BWS user was still faster to report it than you were so... or any one else. Edited by Jarno Mikkola

On topic - It's one of those cases where a simple copy/paste works *much* better then code patch.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Why you ask, just add a single kit to the EE game and this won't work.

The custom HP tables would indeed be fubar, and that's the prime consideration. Given that Tweaks is one of those late-installing mods it also has an obligation to not piss over previous mods' changes when I can avoid it. The previous code had been bulletproof through multiple versions; it was a classic 'hey, there's an easier way to code this' while forgetting it was originally done that way for a reason.