BG1NPC v12 TRA files log for Future Updates

cmorgan

And I'm still only 1/3 done, but will have a chance to work on it tomorrow. Just got back, and did nothing while I was away. AAargh.

But it doesn't matter much. The whole job won't be done until the whole job is done. One massive file or 10 smaller files, you'd be doing the same work in the same time. And it did need to be done.

I have a question about spacing in these files. In the X#DYRO file there are lines that look like this:

@5 = ~ DO I know history?~

Is there supposed to be a space between ~ and DO? And is DO supposed to be in all caps? I noticed that this appears in all lines starting with Do or Dost and just wanted to make sure this is correct. Let me know if I need to correct anything or leave it alone and note the lines.

Unless there is a string that looks like this:

@72 ~[VICONIA 01] Do I know history?~ [_VICON01]

there should be no space between the tilde and the firts letter. It looks like I messed up on this file at one point, and had it open when I was working with another file :blush: . Somehow, I must have done too much of a find/replace --

Please replace all instances in that file of tilde-space-DO with the correct syntax and capitalization. I'm sorry about that. I will asleo do a quick find/replace on it before the Beta hit the streets (asap).

Of course, that is why we are doing this; some strange things creep into files when you are not paying attention!

yarpen, do you mean:

@1  = ~text1~
@2  = ~text2~
@3  = ~text3~

rewritten to

@1  = ~text1~

@2  = ~text2~

@3  = ~text3~

?

If so, I would rather leave that in the hands of translators, unless the bigg/Camdawg/etc. say that it will not cause troubles with installation... it would double the number of lines in the TRA file, too.

What I do it is a find/replace before reading:

1. I rename the .TRA file with a .G3 extension, which I have assigned within ConTEXT and Crimson Editor as highlighted text files.
  2. I replace all "@" with "[symbol for carriage return]@", so that they double space.
  3. After I read the line, I delete the carriage return, so that I know when I have read the line and ok'ed it.
  4. When it is all done, I rename the file with the .TRA extension, and do a test install, opening the dialogue in both DLTCEP and NI and spot-check to make sure it looks like it is supposed to.

Overkill, I know, but something worth doing is worth doing right. This method is certainly adaptable to translation routines as well!

Another spacing question. I have a line that looks like this (X#DYRO file):

@94 = ~Young man...learning!~ ~Very well...try to hear~

Is ~Very well...to hear~ supposed to be its own line? I looked at the old dialogue files and I can't figure out if it was intended to be all in one dialogue window in game or if the two were supposed to be separate.

Second question: Do you want me to just note these things when I send the file to you or report them here as I go in case I can correct them on my end?

It looks like something hiccuped with a multi-say (Fancy talk for "oops!"). I worked back through the D file, and...

The safest way to fix this is to combine the strings. It was supposed to be two panels, but the original was one panel, so take the tildes out so it looks like this:

@94 = ~Young man, I oft find it hard to believe that thou wert reared in the famed citadel of learning! Very well, I should disregard thy profane manners for the more pressing things. Now listen, and try to hear.~

Basic spelling, etc., go ahead and change (if anything looks big, report it just in case please). With anything like your post, drop it on the forums for feedback, but then go ahead and make the change. I am going to push hard this weekend; we would love to have this all proofread by September 15th if possible (to do that, I am going to need to get working lots faster...)

DONE! Whoot! X#PCINIT is complete! I am going to go pick off a few smaller files, just to make myself feel good...

You rock. But I'm always saying that, so you must be getting sick of it.

So, you've finished this big 100+ page edit, and I'm still plugging away at a 46 pager. Why, you might ask, since I'm usually fairly fast? Well, I just got home from work tonight at quarter after 10, and tonight is typical for the last 2 weeks. But sooner or later, my employer will either get more chemists or go out of business, which would be a shame, because they make a drug that will save premature babies. I love my job. I say that because I feel like I'm being a horrible slacker with the proofreading.

My dear Lady -- the problem with Hobbies (note the capital "H") is that while they are fun, and at times threaten to take over one's life, the difference between fantasy and reality is that RL work saves and/or changes lives (be it chemistry, teaching, or accounting, for that matter), while our work in the hobby changes.... pixels! Or 1 's and 0 's or something. No problem on the proofing, it will get done bit by bit. The RL past of stuff, unfortunately, can only be done by the individual :blush:

So, you've finished this big 100+ page edit, and I'm still plugging away at a 46 pager. Why, you might ask, since I'm usually fairly fast? Well, I just got home from work tonight at quarter after 10, and tonight is typical for the last 2 weeks. But sooner or later, my employer will either get more chemists or go out of business, which would be a shame, because they make a drug that will save premature babies. I love my job. I say that because I feel like I'm being a horrible slacker with the proofreading.

I was just feeling the same way about slacking on this. Once I volunteered, all hell broke loose at work with projects starting, all of the highest priority of course, and the quality dept is suddenly in great demand just in time for the ACS meeting (I'm a QA/QC chemist). Hope your work gets a little less hectic and you'll be able to move as fast as you like on this.

Archived