Full EET compatibility, request.

Jarno Mikkola

...BG1, Tutu, BGT, or BG:EE...

I would imagine that the EET version would be hardly an effort to produce considering the above lot already done. So how about it ?

The bonus which this would bring is that there wouldn't be a need to install the mod into the BGEE(with or without the SotDs&modmerger) game, and rely on some miracle that it transfers to the EET intact.

Jarno, do not give me heart attacks by posting into the bugthread hours after the release of a new version! - Moved the post into a separate thread.

EET is a new platform, and like for all platforms, it's the details that bring the difficulties. EET compatibility would have to be tested thoroughly, and I do not even have an EET installation. Plus, I had the feeling that there were changes from one version to another - for example the way the chapters are numbered, etc. - and there is no way I will keep the mod up to date for a changing platform. Currently I am happy if I manage to fix bugs in an appropriate amount of time.

I am not saying it won't be done, but it surely is more than hardly an effort.

I would imagine that the EET version would be hardly an effort to produce considering the above lot already done. So how about it ?

The bonus which this would bring is that there wouldn't be a need to install the mod into the BGEE(with or without the SotDs&modmerger) game, and rely on some miracle that it transfers to the EET intact.

I haven't tested it but I'm pretty sure the BWS already lists both mods (BG1&2) as EET compatible, so no miracles required? EET basically does what the mod converter would otherwise do, adjust chapter numbers on the fly while installing the BG1 contents on BG2.

@jastey Afak EET has stable and constant chapter numbers, that's what that conversion tool is mainly for I think. It adjusts chapter checks for BG1EE mods to be compatible for EET.

I haven't tested it but I'm pretty sure the BWS already lists both mods (BG1&2) as EET compatible, so no miracles required? EET basically does what the mod converter would otherwise do, adjust chapter numbers on the fly while installing the BG1 contents on BG2.

Yeah, making it impossible to install to already existing EET game. Or it would be a small miracle to get it there. The kind that is "easy" to do with a .tp2 edit of the original mod. The Easy is indeed in quotes cause it actually intends to mean easier, not "wow a child can do it".

Sorry jastey for the scare... there was no really a good place to add the request for the full interlaced compatible version with EET to the mod. As I was first thinking of asking the question in the Infinity Engine Modding News -thread. :p

... and so I had to re-title the topic a bit.

Yeah, making it impossible to install to already existing EET game. Or it would be a small miracle to get it there. The kind that is "easy" to do with a .tp2 edit of the original mod. The Easy is indeed in quotes cause it actually intends to mean easier, not "wow a child can do it".

Oh well..yeah I guess. If people do that it would probably make things easier for them. Personally I'm more of a "start from scratch" kind of guy so that option isn't really of itnerest to me.

@ulb

EET has stable and constant chapter numbers, that's what that conversion tool is mainly for I think. It adjusts chapter checks for BG1EE mods to be compatible for EET.

Chapter numbering is in fact stable - but it is not the sole issue here, e.g.

- BG1 area references change to EET areas

- NPC dialogues (e.g. Jaheira) change to EET convention to avoid mixing with BG2 dialogues

- Triggers/references of interjects must be adjusted to the EET references

Some mod conversions are pretty easy and straight forward, but especially mods that are deeply entwined with the BG1 contents/dialogues require a bit more work. RE and BG1NPCs belong to that tricky category for sure.

The major decision to be made is whether you want to install it in BGEE prior EET or in BG2EE after EET - both ways have their challenges...

The major decision to be made is whether you want to install it in BGEE prior EET or in BG2EE after EET - both ways have their challenges...

Nope... you can have BOTH, as the BGEE compattibility is already there*(and so the EET compatibility is there too as the EET will CONVERT the edited BGEE to be the source of the EET, without allowing any changes after...), you just need to use weidu.exe v240.00 and use the GAME_IS'es for both options, and the mod will handle the rest so to speak, as it has the required libraries and commands for them and BG1, Tutu, BGT, and everything else.

And after you have done this, you should gradually see that the BGEE version will slide out of favor and the EET one will become the favorite one. Just like the BG1 version has from the BGT-weidu one todays. But of course one should of course keep up the compatibility, through and through.

1. Mods that can be installed on BG:EE previous to installing EET on BG2:EE

This section can be treated as a temporary solution. ...

Here is a list of supported mods installed on BG:EE:

Baldur's Gate Romantic Encounters Modification v1.3 or above

Archived